Smart Management of HVDC Interface Flow for Jeju Island System with High Penetration of Wind Energy
Hwachang Song*, Dong-Hee Yoon**, Gilsoo Jang**,
and Jang-Ho Lee***
*Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology, 138 Gongreung-Gil, Nowon-Gu, Seoul 139-743, Korea
**Electrical Engineering, Korea University, 1 Anam-5Ga, Sungbuk-Gu, Seoul 136-701, Korea
***Mechanical Engineering, Kunsan National University, San 68, Miryong-Dong, Kunsan, Jeonbuk 573-701, Korea
The recent concerns over the threat of global climate change and the requirements of national reduction of CO2 emission have led to the diversification of energy resources and a large scale integration of renewable resources. For island systems, however, the penetration level of renewable energy should be limited to maintain the power system security perspectives to frequency and voltage stability. The main interest of this paper is the operation of Jeju island system with a high penetration level of wind energy. As an option to make a breakthrough against the technical constraints, this paper presents a smart algorithm to set the active power of HVDC (High Voltage Direct Current) interties, which are to supply the power deficit and to regulate the frequency of the system.
and Jang-Ho Lee, “Smart Management of HVDC Interface Flow for Jeju Island System with High Penetration of Wind Energy,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.15, No.7, pp. 926-933, 2011.
-  H. Farhangi, “The path of the smart grid,” IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol.8, pp. 18-28, 2010.
-  S. M. Kaplan, F. Sissine, A. Abel, J. Wellinghoff, S. G. Kelly, and J. J. Hoecker, “Smart Grid,” TheCapitol.Net, Washington, 2009.
-  T. Ackermann (Ed.), “Wind Power in Power Systems,” John Willey & Sons, London, 2008.
-  J. Kabouris and F. D. Kanellos, “Impacts of Large-Scale Wind Penetration on Designing and Operation of Electric Power Systems,” IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol.1, pp. 107-114, 2010.
-  P. Kundur, “Power System Stability and Control,” McGraw Hill, New York, 1994.
-  T. Van Cutsem and C. Vournas, “Voltage Stability of Electric Power Systems,” Springer, New York, 1998.
-  V. Ajjarapu, “Computational Techniques for Voltage Stability Assessment and Control,” Springer, New York, 2006.
-  C. K. Kim, V. K. Sood, G. Jang, S. J. Lim, and S. J. Lee, “HVDC Transmission: Power Conversion Application in Power Systems,” Wiley-IEEE Press, 2009.
-  H. Song, S. Kim, B. Lee, S. H. Kwon, and V. Ajjarapu, “Determination of Interface Flow Margin Using the Modified Continuation Power Flow in Voltage Stability Analysis,” IEE Proc. – Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol.148, 2001.
-  B. Lee, S. G. Kang, S. Seo, V. Ajjarapu, and H. Song, “Generation re-dispatch algorithm against voltage collapse in Jeju island system with a frequency control by high-voltage direct current,” IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol.4, pp. 609-619, 2010.
-  H. Song, R. D. Dosano, and B. Lee, “Power System Voltage Stability Classification Using Interior PointMethod Based Support Vector Machine (IPMSVM),” Int. J. of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, Vol.9, pp. 238-243, 2009.
-  R. Seydel, “Practical Bifurcation and Stability Analysis: From Equilibrium to Chaos,” Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994.
-  V. Vittal, J. McCalley, V. Ajjarapu, and U. V. Shanbhag, “Impact of Increased DFIGWind Penetration on Power Systems and Markets,” PSERC Final Report, 1996.
-  CIGRE Task Force 38-02-11, “Indices predicting voltage collapse including dynamic phenomena,” CIGRE Brochure, Paris, 1995.
-  W. Rosehart, C. Canizares, and V. Quintana, “Optimal power flow incorporating voltage collapse constraints,” Proc. of 1999 IEEE Summer Meeting, Vol.2, pp. 820-825, 1999.
-  S. Kim, T. Y. Song, M. H. Jeong, B. Lee, Y. H. Moon, J. Y. Namkung, and G. Jang, “Development of voltage stability constrained optimal power flow (VSCOPF),” Proc. of 2001 IEEE Summer Meeting, Vol.3, pp. 1664-1669, 2001.
-  H. Song, B. Lee, and Y.-H. Moon, “Reactive optimal power flow incorporating margin enhancement constraints with nonlinear interior point method,” IEE Proc. – Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol.152, pp. 961-968, 2005.