Autonomous Environmental Sensing System for Human Activity Monitoring
Takayuki Fujita*,**, Jun Okada**, Sayaka Okochi**,
Kohei Higuchi**, and Kazusuke Maenaka*,**
*Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of Hyogo, 2167 Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo 671-2280, Japan
**ERATO Maenaka Human Sensing Fusion Project, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 2167 Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo 671-2280, Japan
Continuous observation of human activities and circumstances are quite important for healthcare applications that collect a lot of data from the various MEMS (Micro Electromechanical Systems) sensors. This study demonstrates the multi-environmental sensing system for human applications that can measure the time-based three-axes acceleration (threeaxes shock), barometric pressure, temperature and relative humidity, simultaneously. The system has battery and large sized memory for autonomous sensing. The measured data are stored in a flash memory via an onboard microcontroller. The detailed configurations of the prototype device and some experimental results are investigated.
Kohei Higuchi, and Kazusuke Maenaka, “Autonomous Environmental Sensing System for Human Activity Monitoring,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.15, No.3, pp. 383-388, 2011.
-  T. Hara, Y. Matsumura, M. Yamamoto, T. Kitado, H. Nakao, H. Nakao, T. Suzuki, T. Yoshikawa, and S. Fujimoto, “The Relationship Between Body Weight Reduction and Intensity of Daily Physical Activities Assessed with 3-Dimension Accelerometer,” Jpn. J. Phys. Fitness Sports Med., Vol.55, No.4, pp. 385-392, 2006.
-  A. DeHennis and K. D. Wise, “A Wireless Microsystem for the Remote Sensing of Pressure, Temperature, and Relative Humidity,” J. Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 12-22, 2005.
-  K. Kanda, Y. Iga, T. Hashimoto, T. Fujita, K. Higuchi, and K. Maenaka, “Microfabrication and Application of Series-Connected PZT Elements,” Eurosensors XXIII (Procedia Chemistry, Vol.1, pp. 808-811, 2009.
-  T. Fujita, F. Suzuki, K. Masaki, and K. Maenaka, “Sensor Integration for Environmental Data Logging System,” Proc. of the 24th Sensor Sym., Tokyo, pp. 429-432, 2007.
-  T. Fujita, Y. Fukumoto, F. Suzuki, and K. Maenaka, “SOI-MEMS Sensor for Multi-Environmental Sensing-System,” Proc. of The 4th Int. Conf. on Networked Sensing Systems, Braunschweig, Germany, Braunschweig, pp. 146-149, 2007.
-  K. Maenaka, K. Masaki, and T. Fujita, “Application of Multi-Environmental Sensing System in MEMS Technology – Monitoring of Human Activity,” Proc. of The 4th Int. Conf. on Networked Sensing Systems, Braunschweig, Germany, pp. 47-52, 2007.
-  T. Fujita, K.Masaki, and K.Maenaka, “Human Activity Monitoring System Using MEMS Sensors and Machine Learning,” J. of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 3-8, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.