FPGA-Based Relative Distance Estimation for Indoor Robot Control Using Monocular Digital Camera
Ying-Hao Yu*, Chau Vo-Ky**, Sarath Kodagoda*,
and Quang Phuc Ha*
*School of Electrical, Mechanical and Mechatronic Systems, University of Technology Sydney, PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
**Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, HoChiMinh University of Technology, 268 Ly Thuong Kiet St., Distr. 10, HoChiMinh City, Vietnam
Distance measurement methodologies based on the digital camera usually require time-consuming calibration procedures, some are even derived from complicated image processing algorithms resulting in low picture frame rates. In a dynamic camera system, due to the unpredictability of intrinsic and extrinsic parameters, odometric results are highly dependent on the quality of extra sensors. In this paper, a simple and efficient algorithm is proposed for relative distance estimation in robotic active vision by using a monocular digital camera. Accuracy of the estimation is achieved by judging the 2D perspective projection image ratio of the robot labels obtained on a TFT-LCD (Thin Film Transistor – Liquid Crystal Display) monitor without the need of any additional sensory cost and complicated calibration effort. Further, the proposed algorithm does not contain any trigonometric functions so that it can be easily implemented on an embedded system using the Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) technology. Experimental results are included to demonstrate the effectiveness of the technique.
-  N. Trawny, X. S. Zhou, K. X. Zhou, and S. I. Roumeliotis, “3D Relative Pose Estimation from Distance-Only Measurements,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, San Diego, USA, pp. 1071-1078, 2007.
-  M. K. Lee, J. O. Park, and J. E. S. Song, “User Authentication Based on Distance Estimation Using Ultrasonic Sensors,” IEEE Int. Conf. Computation Intelligence and Security, Suzhou, China, pp. 391-394, 2008.
-  C. Y. Wen, R. D. Morris, andW. A. Sethares, “Distance Estimation Using Bidirectional Communications Without Synchronous Clocking,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol.55, No.5, pp. 1927-1939, 2007.
-  W. Xiao, Y. Sun, Y. Liu, and Q. Yang, “TEA: Transmission Error Approximation for Distance Estimation between Two Zigbee Devices,” IEEE Int. Conf. Networking, Architecture, and Storage, Shenyang, China, pp. 15-22, 2006.
-  J. M. Dubois and H. Hüglí, “Time-of-flight imaging of indoor scenes with scattering compensation,” Proc. of the 8th Conf. on Optical 3-D Measurement Techniques, Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 117-122, 2007.
-  H. Rapp, “Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Correlating TOF-Camera Systems,” University of Heidelberg, pp. 59-63, Germany, 2007.
-  J. H. Kim, “Ubiquitous Robot: Recent Progress and Development,” Proc. IEEE/ SICE Int. Conf Digital Object Identifier, Busan, Korea, pp. 25- 30, 2006.
-  Y. Y. Li, W. R. Fan, Y. R. Liu, and X. P. Cai, “Teleoperation of Robots via the Mobile Communication Networks,” IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Biomimetics, Hong Kong, pp. 670-675, 2005.
-  A. Stubbs, V. Vladimerou, A. T. Fulford, D. King, J. Strick, and G. E. Dullerud, “Multivehicle Systems Control over Networks: a hovercraft testbed for networked and decentralized control,” IEEE Control System Magazine, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 56-69, 2006.
-  Q. Chen, F. Tan, and P. Y. Woo, “An Improved Distance Measurement Method for Four-Legged Robots Based on the Colour Region,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Control and Automation, Chongqing, China, pp. 3040-3044, 2008.
-  N. Yamaguti, S. Oe, and K. Terada, “A method of distance measurement by using monocular camera,” Proc. 36th SICE Int. Conf., Tokushima, Japan, pp. 1255-1260, 1997.
-  J. Chang and C. W. Cho, “Vision-Based Front Vehicle Detection and Its Distance Estimation,” IEEE Int. Conf. on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 2063-2068, 2006.
-  A. D. Nguyen, V. T. Ngo, Q. P. Ha, and G. Dissanayake, “Robotic Formation: Initialisation, Trajectory Planning, and Decentralised Control,” Int. Journal of Automation and Control, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 22-45, 2008.
-  R. D’Andrea and P. Wurman, “Future challenges of coordinating hundreds of autonomous vehicles in distribution facilities,” IEEE Int. Conf. Technologies for Practical Robot Application, Woburn, USA, pp. 80-83, 2008.
-  V. Vladimerou, A. Stubbs, J. Rubel, A. Fulford, J. Strick, and G. E. Dullerud, “A hovercraft testbed for decentralized and cooperative control,” Proc. American Control Conf., Vol.6, pp. 5332-5337, 2004.
-  R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision, Cambridge University Press, UK, pp. 153-236, 2003.
-  M. Galer, “Digital Photography in Available Light,” Elsevier, UK, pp. 224, 2006.
-  Y.-H. Yu, N. M. Kwok, and Q. P. Ha, “FPGA-based Real-Time Color Tracking for Robotic Formation Control,” Proc. Int. Conf. Robotics &Automation in Construction, Austin, USA, pp. 252-258, 2009.
-  J. Kurian and P. R. S. Pillai, “A realization of an FPGA subsystem for reducing odometric localization errors in wheeled robots,” J. of Automation, Mobile Robotics & Intelligent Systems, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 26-33, 2009.
-  J.-P. Deschamps, G. J. A. Bioul, and G. D. Sutter, “Synthesis of Arithmetic Circuits,” John Wiley & Sons, Canada, 2006.
-  Y.-H. Yu, Q. P. Ha, and N. M. Kwok, “FPGA-based Real-time Color Discrimination Design for Ubiquitous Robots,” Proc. Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Sydney, Australia, 2009.
-  P. P. Chu, “RTL Hardware Design Using VHDL,” John Wiley & Sons, Canada, pp. 460-468, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.