Image Enhancement Based on Nonlinear Smoothing and Sharpening for Noisy Images
Go Tanaka, Noriaki Suetake, and Eiji Uchino
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamaguchi University, 1677-1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753-8512, Japan
The novel image enhancement approach we propose is based on blending the ε-filtering and a conventional unsharp masking. The proposed selective unsharp masking is especially effective in enhancing noisy images corrupted by Gaussian noise, as confirmed in image enhancement experiments.
-  A. K. Jain, “Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing,” Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1989.
-  S. K. Mitra, H. Li, I. -S. Lin, and T. -H. Yu, “A New Class of Nonlinear Filters for Image Enhancement,” 1991 Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol.4, pp. 2525-2528, Tronto, Canada, 1991.
-  S. Thurnhofer and S. K. Mitra, “A General Framework for Quadratic Volterra Filters for Edge Enhancement,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 950-963, 1996.
-  G. Ramponi, N. K. Strobel, S. K. Mitra, and T. -H. Yu, “Nonlinear Unsharp Masking Methods for Image Contrast Enhancement,” J. of Electronic Imaging, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 353-366, 1996.
-  G. Ramponi, “A Simple Cubic Operator for Sharpening an Image,” Proc. of 1995 IEEE Workshop Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing, pp. 963-966, Thessaloniki, Greece, 1995.
-  G. Ramponi, “A Cubic Unsharp Masking Technique for Contrast Enhancement,” Signal Processing, Vol.67, No.2, pp. 211-222, 1998.
-  A. Polesel, G. Ramponi, and V. J. Mathews, “Adaptive Unsharp Masking for Contrast Enhancement,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Vol.1, pp. 267-270, 1997.
-  A. Polesel, G. Ramponi, and V. J. Mathews, “Image Enhancement via Adaptive Unsharp Masking,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 505-510, 2000.
-  K. Aoki and M. Nakashizuka, “A Cascade Configuration of the Edge Weighted Image Enhancement Filter,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol.J88-A, No.11, pp. 1197-1206, 2005. (in Japanese)
-  M. Nakashizuka and K. Aoki, “A Cascade Configuration of the Cubic Unsharp Masking for Noisy Image Enhancement,” Proc. of 2005 Int. Symp. on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, pp. 161-164, 2005.
-  R. D. Nowak and R. G. Baraniuk, “Adaptive Weighted Highpass Filters Using Multiscale analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.7, No.7, pp. 1068-1074, 1998.
-  H. Okazaki, H. Naka, and M. Nakashizuka, “Edge Enhancement by the Wavelet Maxima and its Application to Image Enlargement,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol.J86-A, No.4, pp. 410-426, 2003. (in Japanese)
-  H. Okazaki and M. Nakashizuka, “Unsharp Masking Based on the Multiscale Gradient Planes,” Electronics and Communications in Japan, part 3, Vol.87, No.4, pp. 40-54, 2004.
-  T. Kimura, A. Taguchi, and Y. Murata, “Image Enhancement for Noisy Images Using the Fuzzy Techniques,” Electronics and Communications in Japan, part 3, Vol.83, No.7, pp. 1-11, 2000.
-  H. Harashima, K. Odajima, Y. Shishikui, and H. Miyakawa, “ε-separating Nonlinear Digital Filter and its Applications,” Electronics and Communications in Japan, part 1, Vol.65, No.4, pp. 11-19, 1982.
-  J. W. Tukey, “Nonlinear (Nonsuperposable) Methods for Smoothing Data,” Proc. of Congress Record EASCOM’74, pp. 673-681, 1974.
-  P. Perona and J. Malik, “Scale-Space and Edge Detection Using Anisotropic diffusion,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.12, No.7, pp. 629-639, 1990.
-  C. Tomasi and R. Manduchi, “Bilateral Filtering for Gray and Color Images,” Proc. of 6th Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 839-846, Bombay, India, 1998.
-  M. Okada and K. Urahama, “Edge Preserving Smoothing of Color Images with Mode Filters,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol.J81-A, No.8, pp. 1189-1191, 1998. (in Japanese)
-  M. Sakauchi, Y. Ohsawa, M. Sone, and M. Onoe, “Management of the Standard Image Database for Image Processing Researches (SIDBA),” ITEJ Technical Report, Vol.8, No.38, pp. 7-12, 1984. (in Japanese)
-  http://www.ess.ic.kanagawa-it.ac.jp/app_images_j.html (in Japanese)
-  J. Astola and P. Kuosmanen, Fundamentals of Nonlinear Digital Filtering, CRC Press, NY, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.