Image Completion Considering Local Orientations of Rotated Patterns
Hideaki Orii, Hideaki Kawano, Hiroshi Maeda, and Norikazu Ikoma
Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata-ku, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
Image completion yields whole images by producing plausible parts missing due to the removal of foreground or background elements. Conventionally, missing parts are produced by optimizing the objective function, defined based on pattern similarity between the missing region and the remaining image (data region). The resulting image may be compromised, however, by data region pattern variations. Augmenting data region pattern variations positively produced good results, but tends to cause processing search time to mushroom proportionately. To avoid this, we propose pattern extension based on rotating data region pattern variations and minimizing calculation time using the local orientation of rotated patterns. The effectiveness of this approach was demonstrated by comparing conventional and proposed methods.
-  Y. Wexler, E. Shechtman, and M. Irani, “Space-Time Video Completion,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 120-127, 2004.
-  Y. Wexler, E. Shechtman, and M. Irani, “Space-Time Completion of Video,” IEEE Trans. PAMI, Vol.29, No.3, pp. 463-476, 2007.
-  M. Ashikhmin, “Synthesizing Natural Textures,” Proc., 2001 Symp. on Interactive 3D Graphics, pp. 217-226, 2001.
-  M. Bertalmio, G. Sapiro, V. Caselles, and C. Ballester, “Image Inpainting,” ACM Proc. SIGGRAPH’00, pp. 417-424, 2000.
-  M. Bertalmio, A. L. Bertozzi, and G. Sapiro, “Navier-Srokes, Fluid Dynamics, and Image and Video Inpainting,” Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol.1, pp. 355-362, 2001.
-  A. Criminisi, P. Perez, and K. Toyama, “Region Filling and Object Removal by Exemplar-Based Image Inpainting,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.13, No.9, pp. 1200-1212, 2004.
-  I. Dorori, D. Cohen-Or, and H. Yeshurun, “Fragment-Based Image Completion,” Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH2003, pp. 190-197, 2001.
-  A. Efros and T. Leung, “Texture Synthesis by Non-Parametric Sampling,” Proc. Int. Conf. Computer Vision, pp. 1033-1038, 1999.
-  A. Efros and W. T. Freeman, “Image Image Quilting for Texture Synthesis and Transfer,” ACM Proc. SIGGRAPH’01, pp. 341-346, 2001.
-  J. Jia and C. Tang, “Image Repairing: Robust Image Synthesis by Adaptive ND Tensor Voting,” Proc. CVPR, pp. 643-650, 2005.
-  N. Kawai, T. Sato, and N. Yokoya, “Image Inpainting Considering Brightness Change and Spatial Locality of Textures,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP), Vol.1, pp. 66-73, Jan. 2008.
-  D. Lowe, “Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 91-110, 2004.
-  J. Sun, L. Yuan, J. Jia, and H. Shun, “Image Completion with Structure Propagation,” Proc. SIGGRAPH’05, pp. 861-868, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.