Color Transfer Based on Normalized Cumulative Hue Histograms
Go Tanaka, Noriaki Suetake, and Eiji Uchino
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamaguchi University, 1677-1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753-8512, Japan
Color transfer involves recoloring reflecting a reference image color in an input image, for example, by a color distribution or chroma distribution. The color transfer algorithm we propose transferring hue information by modifying the input image hue histogram so that its shape approaches that of the reference image as closely as possible. Color transfer effectively reflecting images considers image chroma information and relative hue histogram occurrence frequency as demonstrated in results of experiments.
-  E. Reinhard, M. Ashikhmin, B. Gooch, and P. Shirley, “Color Transfer between Images,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 34-41, 2001.
-  Y. Chang, S. Saito, and M. Nakajima, “Color Transfer between Images Based on Basic Color Category,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Vol.E86-D, No.12, pp. 2780-2785, 2003.
-  T. Horiuchi, “Colorization Algorithm Using Probabilistic Relaxation,” Image and Vision Computing, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 197-202, 2004.
-  A. Levin, D. Lischinski, and Y. Weiss, “Colorization Using Optimization,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 689-694, 2004.
-  K. Rasche, R. Geist, and J. Westall, “Detail Preserving Reproduction of Color Images for Monochromats and Dichromats,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 22-30, 2005.
-  A. A. Gooch, S. C. Olsen, J. Tumblin, and B. Gooch, “Color2Gray: Salience-Preserving Color Removal,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 634-639, 2005.
-  K. Rasche, R. Geist, and J. Westall, “Re-Coloring Images for Gamuts of Lower Dimension,” Computer Graphics Forum, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 423-432, 2005.
-  R. L. Queiroz and K. M. Braun, “Color to Gray and Back: Color Embedding into Textured Gray Images,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 1464-1470, 2006.
-  H. Noda, J. Korekuni, and M. Niimi, “A Colorization Algorithm Based on Local MAP Estimation,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.39, No.11, pp. 2212-2217, 2006.
-  H. Okuda, R. Saito, T. Horiuchi, and S. Tominaga, “Color Interchange between Image Scenes Using Histogram,” J. of the Color Science Association of Japan, Vol.31, Special Issue 38th Annual Meeting (supplement), pp. 52-53, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  M. Chaumont and W. Puech, “A Grey-Level Image Embedding its Color Palette,” Proc. of 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, San Antonio, Texas, USA, pp. I-389-I-392, 2007.
-  M. Grundland and N. A. Dodgson, “Decolorize: Fast, Contrast Enhancing, Color to Grayscale Conversion,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.40, No.11, pp. 2891-2896, 2007.
-  S. Sigemura, T. Kimura, and A. Taguchi, “Enhancement of Color Images Based on Histogram Equalization without Gamut Problem,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences: A, Vol.J91-A, No.6, pp. 699-703, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  T. Kimura and A. Taguchi, “An Enhancement of Color Images by Saturation Histogram Equalization with Variable Enhancement Degree,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences: A, Vol.J92-A, No.2, pp. 131-134, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  G. Raines, “Digital Color Analysis of Color-Ratio Composite Landsat Scenes,” Proc. of 11th Int. Erasmus Research Institute of Management Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, pp. 1463-1472, 1977.
-  A. R. Smith, “Color Gamut Transformation Pairs,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 12-19, 1978.
-  G. H. Joblove and D. Greenberg, “Color Spaces for Computer Graphic,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 20-25, 1978.
-  R. Haydn, G. W. Dalke, J. Henkel, and J. E. Bare, “Application of the IHS Color Transform to the Processing of Multisensor Data and Image Enhancement,” Proc. of 16th Int. Erasmus Research Institute of Management Symposium on Remote Sensing of Arid and Semi-Arid Lands, Cairo, Egypt, pp. 599-607, 1982.
-  A. K. Jain, “Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing,” Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1989.
-  G. Tanaka, N. Suetake, and E. Uchino, “Gamut Grasping for Histogram Equalization in CIELAB Color Space,” Proc. of 24th Int. Tech. Conf. Circuits/Systems, Computers and Communications, Jeju, Korea, pp. 239-242, 2009.
-  http://blogs.dion.ne.jp/sakura0622/archives/5917634.html