Structure Extraction from Decorated Characters by Graph Spectral Decomposition and Component Selection Criterion
Hideaki Kawano, Akito Shimamura, Hiroshi Maeda, Hideaki Orii,
and Norikazu Ikoma
Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata-ku, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
Recognizing decorated characters using conventional Optical Character Recognition (OCR) requires that the structure of the decorated characters be extracted. The method that Omachi et al. proposed to do this could not extract characters including both thin and thick lines. To improve the performance of Omachi’s approach, we proposed using graph spectral decomposition, demonstrating our previous proposal’s applicability to wider range of decorated characters. Here we propose a new criterion for selecting structure extraction components in the graph spectral decomposition framework, demonstrating the feasibility of the criterion through experimental results.
, and Norikazu Ikoma, “Structure Extraction from Decorated Characters by Graph Spectral Decomposition and Component Selection Criterion,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.14, No.2, pp. 179-184, 2010.
-  H. Kawano, T. Nobe, H. Maeda, and N. Ikoma, “Specification of Signboard Region and Extraction of Characters from Scene Picture,” Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, 2007. ISPACS 2007. Int. Symposuim on, Nov. 28 2007-Dec.1 2007, pp. 252-255, 2007.
-  S. Mori, K. Yamamoto, and M. Yasuda, “Research on Machine Recognition of Handprinted Characters,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 386-405, 1984.
-  S. Impedovo, L. Ottaviano, and S. Occhinegro, “Optical Character Recognition-A Survey,” Int. J. Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.5, Nos.1 and 2, pp. 1-24, 1991.
-  T. W. Hildebrandt and W. Liu, “Optical Recognition of Handwritten Chinese Characters: Advances since 1980,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 205-225, 1993.
-  K. Yamamoto, “Recognition of Handprinted KANJI Characters by Relaxation Matching,” Trans. on IEICE, Vol.J65-D, No.9, pp. 1167-1174, 1982.
-  H. Nishida, “Automatic Construction of Structural Models Incorporating Discontinuous Transformations,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 400-411, 1996.
-  N. Kato, M. Suzuki, S. Omachi, H. Aso, and Y. Nemoto, “A Handwritten Character Recognition System Using Directional Element Feature and Asymmetric Mahalanobis Distance,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 258-262, 1999.
-  T. Wakahara, “Shape Matching Using LAT and its Application to Handwrittern Numeral Recognition,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 618-629, 1994.
-  S. Omachi, M. Inoue, and H. Aso, “Structure Extraction from Decorated Characters Using Multiscale Images,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 315-322, 2001.
-  H. Kawano, A. Shimamura, H. Orii, H. Maeda, and N. Ikoma, “Skeletonization of Decorative Characters by Graph Spectral Decomposition,” Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2008. SMC 2008. IEEE Int. Conf. on, 12-15 Oct., pp. 266-270, 2008.
-  F. R. K. Chung, “Spectral Graph Theory,” CBMS Lecture Notes, AMS Publication, 1997.
-  D. Comaniciu and P. Meer, “Mean Shift: A Robust Approach toward Feature Space Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 603-619, 2002.
-  SmartOCR, http://ocr.rossa.cc/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.