Structure Extraction from Decorated Characters by Graph Spectral Decomposition and Component Selection Criterion
Hideaki Kawano, Akito Shimamura, Hiroshi Maeda, Hideaki Orii,
and Norikazu Ikoma
Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1-1 Sensui-cho, Tobata-ku, Kitakyushu 804-8550, Japan
-  H. Kawano, T. Nobe, H. Maeda, and N. Ikoma, “Specification of Signboard Region and Extraction of Characters from Scene Picture,” Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, 2007. ISPACS 2007. Int. Symposuim on, Nov. 28 2007-Dec.1 2007, pp. 252-255, 2007.
-  S. Mori, K. Yamamoto, and M. Yasuda, “Research on Machine Recognition of Handprinted Characters,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 386-405, 1984.
-  S. Impedovo, L. Ottaviano, and S. Occhinegro, “Optical Character Recognition-A Survey,” Int. J. Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.5, Nos.1 and 2, pp. 1-24, 1991.
-  T. W. Hildebrandt and W. Liu, “Optical Recognition of Handwritten Chinese Characters: Advances since 1980,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 205-225, 1993.
-  K. Yamamoto, “Recognition of Handprinted KANJI Characters by Relaxation Matching,” Trans. on IEICE, Vol.J65-D, No.9, pp. 1167-1174, 1982.
-  H. Nishida, “Automatic Construction of Structural Models Incorporating Discontinuous Transformations,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 400-411, 1996.
-  N. Kato, M. Suzuki, S. Omachi, H. Aso, and Y. Nemoto, “A Handwritten Character Recognition System Using Directional Element Feature and Asymmetric Mahalanobis Distance,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 258-262, 1999.
-  T. Wakahara, “Shape Matching Using LAT and its Application to Handwrittern Numeral Recognition,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 618-629, 1994.
-  S. Omachi, M. Inoue, and H. Aso, “Structure Extraction from Decorated Characters Using Multiscale Images,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 315-322, 2001.
-  H. Kawano, A. Shimamura, H. Orii, H. Maeda, and N. Ikoma, “Skeletonization of Decorative Characters by Graph Spectral Decomposition,” Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2008. SMC 2008. IEEE Int. Conf. on, 12-15 Oct., pp. 266-270, 2008.
-  F. R. K. Chung, “Spectral Graph Theory,” CBMS Lecture Notes, AMS Publication, 1997.
-  D. Comaniciu and P. Meer, “Mean Shift: A Robust Approach toward Feature Space Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 603-619, 2002.
-  SmartOCR, http://ocr.rossa.cc/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.