Supporting the Translation and Authoring of Test Items with Techniques of Natural Language Processing
Ming-Shin Lu*, Yu-Chun Wang**, Jen-Hsiang Lin*,
Chao-Lin Liu*, Zhao-Ming Gao**, and Chun-Yen Chang***
*National Chengchi University
**National Taiwan University
***National Taiwan Normal University
-  Cangjie method.
-  CKIP Chinese parsing service.
-  International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement.
-  Lexicons. HowNet.
Concise Oxford English-Chinese Dictionary.
-  On-line translation.
-  Pinyin methods.
-  (329) science articles in Chinese. Popular Science Monthly,
and Science Education Monthly,
-  Scientific American published between March 2002 and December 2006.
-  Sources of characters for searching similar characters. Ministry of Education, Taiwan.
and a book written in Chinese
-  The JACOB Project.
-  L. Amaral, V. Metcalf, and D. Meurers, “Language Awareness through Re-use of NLP Technology,” Workshop on NLP in CALL – Computational and Linguistic Challenges, Annual Conf. of the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium, 2006.
-  K.-J. Chen and S.-H. Liu, “Word identification for mandarin Chinese sentences,” Proc. of the 14th Conf. on Computational Linguistics, pp. 101-107, 1992.
-  C.-C. Cheng, “Word-focused extensive reading with guidance,” In Selected Papers from the 13th Int’l Symposium on English Teaching, pp. 24-32, Crane Publishing Co, 2004.
-  D. Griffee, “Can we validly translate questionnaire items from English to Japanese?,” Shiken: JALT Testing & Evaluation SIG Newsletter, 2(2), pp. 15-17, 1998.
-  N. Ide and J. Véronis, “Word sense disambiguation: The state of the art,” Computational Linguistics, 24(1), pp. 1-40, 1998.
-  D. Juang, J.-H. Wang, C.-Y. Lai, C.-C. Hsieh, L.-F. Chien, and J.-M. Ho, “Resolving the unencoded character problem for Chinese digital libraries,” Proc. of the 5th ACM/IEEE Joint Conf. on Digital Libraries, pp. 311-319, 2005.
-  D. Lin, “Dependency-based evaluation of MINIPAR,” Proc. of the Workshop on the Evaluation of Parsing Systems, the 1st Int’l Conf. on Language Resources and Evaluation, 1998.
-  C. D. Manning and H. Schütze, “Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing,” The MIT Press, 1999.
-  M. O. Martin, K. D. Gregory, and S. E. Stemler (Eds.), “TIMSS 1999 Technical Report,” 1999.
-  M. Maritxalar, N. Ezeiza, and M. Schulze (Eds.), Proc. of the Workshop on NLP for Educational Resources, Int’l Conf. on Recent Advances in NLP, 2007.
-  F. J. Och, “An efficient method for determining bilingual word classes,” Proc. of European Chapter of the ACL, pp. 71-76, 1999.
-  F. J. Och and H. Ney, “A systematic comparison of various statistical alignment models,” Computational Linguistics, 29(1), pp. 19-51, 2003.
-  K. O’Connor and B. Malak, “Translation and cultural adaptation of the TIMSS instruments,” pp. 87-100, in Martin et al. , 1999.
-  K. Papineni, S. Roukos, T. Ward, and W.-J. Zhu, “BLEU: a method for automatic evaluation of machine translation,” Proc. of the 40th Annual Meeting of the ACL, pp. 311-318, 2002.
-  M. F. Porter, “An algorithm for suffix stripping,” Program, 14(3), pp. 130-137, 1980.
-  A. Ratnaparkhi, “A maximum entropy model for part-of-speech tagging,” Proc. of the Conf. on Empirical Methods in NLP, pp. 133-142, 1996.
-  C. W. Stansfield, “Test translation and adaptation in public education in the USA,” Language Testing, 20(2), pp. 189-207, 2003.
-  A. Stolcke, “SRILM – an extensible language modeling toolkit,” Proc. of the Int’l Conf. on Spoken Language Processing, pp. 901-904, 2002.
-  K.-Y. Su and J.-S. Chang, “Some key issues in designing MT systems,” Machine Translation, 5(4), pp. 265-300, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990.
-  C. Wang, M. Collins, and P. Koehn, “Chinese syntactic reordering for statistical machine translation,” Proc. of the 2007 Joint Conf. on Empirical Methods in NLP and Computational Natural Language Learning, pp. 737-745, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.