A Dual Ternary Indexing Approach for Music Retrieval System
Hewijin Christine Jiau and Chuan-Wang Chang
National Cheng Kung University
Memory usage for storing indexes and query response times for retrieval processing are two critical issues in music information retrieval (MIR) systems. In this paper, we propose an effective and efficient numeric indexing structure to overcome the difficulties of variable length queries and enhance the efficiency of music retrieval. The proposed structure differs greatly from pre-existing research in textual indexing techniques such as n-gram and suffix tree because it does not need to generate redundant and useless indexes. The index construction process has no complicated split and joint operations making, is easier and faster than tree-like methods. Experimental results show that our method is more scalable and economical than previous methods. The proposed method can significantly reduce the processing time and storage for retrieving and indexing.
-  A. Ghias, H. Logan, D. Chamberlin, and B.C. Smith, “Query by HummingGMusical Information Retrieval in an Audio Databases,” Proc. of the 3rd ACM Int. Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 231-236, 1995.
-  A. L. P. Chen, M. Chang, J. Chen, J. L. Hsu, C. H. Hsu, and S. Y. S. Hua, “Query by Music Segments: An Efficient Approach for Song Retrieval,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 873-876, 2000.
-  J. L. Hsu, C. C. Liu, and A. L. P. Chen, “Discovering Nontrivial Repeating Patterns in Music Data,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, pp. 311-325, 2001.
-  W. Lee, and A. L. P. Chen, “Efficient Multi-Feature Index Structures for Music Data Retrieval,” Proc. of SPIE Conf. on Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases, pp. 177-188, 2000.
-  E. M. McCreight, “A Space-Economical Suffix Tree Construc-tion Algorithm,” Journal of Algorithms, 23(2), pp. 262-272, 1976.
-  E. Ukkonen, “On-line Construction of Suffix Trees,” Algorithmica, 14(3), pp. 249-260, 1995.
-  S. Downie and M. Nelson, “Evaluation of a simple and effective music information retrieval method,” Proc. of the 23rd Annual Int. ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 73-80, 2000.
-  C. L. Yip and B. Kao, “A Study on N-gram Indexing of Music Features,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 869-872, 2000.
-  C. W. Chang, C. Y. Chang, and H. C. Christine Jiau, “A Practical Music Retrieval System Based on Sliding Melodic Contour,” Proc. of Int. Computer Symposium, pp. 1162-1167, 2004.
-  Y. L. Lo and S. J. Chen, “The Numeric Indexing For Music Data,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 258-263, 2002.
-  C. W. Chang and H. C. Christine Jiau, “Representative Music Fragments Extraction by Using Segmentation Techniques,” Proc. of Int. Computer Symposium, pp. 1156-1161, 2004.