Intelligent Synchronization for Mirrored Game Servers: A Real Case Study
Stefano Ferretti, Marco Roccetti, and Claudio E. Palazzi
Department of Computer Science, University of Bologna, Via Mura Anteo Zamboni, 7, 40127 Bologna, Italy
-  M. Borella, “Source models for network game traffic,” Computer Communications, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 403-410, February, 2000.
-  E. Cronin, B. Filstrup, S. Jamin, and A. Kurc, “An Efficient Synchronization Mechanism for Mirrored Game Architectures (Extented Version),” Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 7-30, May, 2004.
-  S. Ferretti, M. Roccetti, and C. Palazzi, “An Optimistic Obsolescence-Based Approach To Event Synchronization For Massive Multiplayer Online Games,” Int. Journal of Computers and Applications, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 33-43, February, 2006.
-  Y. Hashimoto and Y. Ishibashi, “Influences of network latency on interactivity in networked rock-paper-scissors,” NetGames ’06: Proc. of 5th ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Network and system support for games, ACM Press, p. 23, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
-  B. Knutsson, H. Lu, W. Xu, and B. Hopkins, “Peer-to-peer support for massively multiplayer games,” Proc. of the Twenty-third Annual Joint Conf. of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 2004), IEEE, pp. 96-107, March, 2004.
-  M. Mauve, J. Vogel, V. Hilt, and W. Effelsberg, “Local-Lag and Timewarp: Providing Consistency for Replicated Continuous Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 47-57, February, 2004.
-  J. Muller, J. H. Metzen, A. Ploss, M. Schellmann, and S. Gorlatch, “Rokkatan: scaling an RTS game design to the massively multiplayer realm,” ACE ’05: Proc. of the 2005 ACM SIGCHI Int. Conf. on Advances in computer entertainment technology, ACM Press, pp. 125-132, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
-  C. E. Palazzi, S. Ferretti, S. Cacciaguerra, and M. Roccetti, “Interactivity-Loss Avoidance in Event Delivery Synchronization for Mirrored Game Architectures,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 874-879, 2006.
-  S. Ferretti and M. Roccetti, “Fast delivery of game events with an optimistic synchronization mechanism in massive multiplayer online games,” ACE ’05: Proc. of the 2005 ACM SIGCHI Int. Conf. on Advances in computer entertainment technology, ACM Press, pp. 405-412, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
-  J. Brun, F. Safaei, and P. Boustead, “Server topology considerations in online games,” NetGames ’06: Proc. of 5th ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Network and system support for games, ACM Press, p. 26, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
-  S. Wright and S. Tischer, “Architectural Considerations in Online Game Services over DSL Networks,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC2004), Paris, France, June, 2004.
-  C. Diot and L. Gautier, “A distributed architecture for multiplayer interactive applications on the internet,” IEEE Network Magazine, Vol.13, No.4, July/August, 1999.
-  R. Fujimoto, “Parallel and Distribution Simulation Systems,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
-  K. Lee, B. Ko, and S. Calo, “Adaptive server selection for large scale interactive online games,” Proc. of the 14th Int. workshop on Network and operating systems support for digital audio and video, ACM Press, pp. 152-157, 2004.
-  F. Li, L. Li, and R. Lau, “Supporting continuous consistency in multiplayer online games,” MULTIMEDIA ’04: Proc. of the 12th annual ACM Int. Conf. on Multimedia, ACM Press, pp. 388-391, 2004.
-  D. Jefferson, “Virtual Time,” ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 404-425, 1985.
-  S. Cacciaguerra, S. Ferretti, M. Roccetti, and M. Roffilli, “Car racing through the streets of the Web: a high-speed 3D game over a fast synchronization service,” Proc. of Int. ACM World Wide Web 2005 Conf., Poster Track, pp. 884-885, Chiba, Japan, May, 2005.
-  S. Ferretti, M. Roccetti, and S. Cacciaguerra, “On Distributing Interactive Storytelling: Issues of Event Synchronization and a Solution,” In Springer-Verlag, editor, 2nd Int. Conf. on Technologies for Digital Storytelling and Entertainment (TIDSE 2004), LNCS 3105, pp. 219-231, Darmstadt, Germany, June, 2004.
-  J.-C. Bolot, S. Fosse-Parisis, and D. F. Towsley, “Adaptive FECBased Error Control for Internet Telephony,” INFOCOM, pp. 1453-1460, 1999.
-  C. Perkins, O. Hodson, and V. Hardman, “A survey of packet loss recovery techniques for streaming audio,” IEEE Network, Vol.12, pp. 40-48, Sep./Oct., 1998.
-  S. P. Hernandez, J. Fanchon, K. Drira, and M. Diaz, “Causal Broadcast Protocol for Very Large Group Communication Systems,” OPODIS, pp. 175-188, 2001.
-  A. D. Kshemkalyani and M. Singhal, “An Optimal Algorithm for Generalized Causal Message Ordering (Abstract),” Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, p. 87, 1996.
-  F. Cristian, “Probabilistic clock synchronization,” Distributed Computing, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 146-158, 1989.
-  J. Farber, “Network game traffic modelling,” Proc. of the 1st Workshop on Network and System Support for Games, ACM Press, pp. 53-57, 2002.
-  J. Farber, “Traffic modelling for fast action network games,” Multimedia Tools Appl., Vol.23, No.1, pp. 31-46, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.