Modeling of Wood Aging Caused by Biological Deterioration
Xin Yin*, Tadahiro Fujimoto**, Norishige Chiba**,
and Hiromi T. Tanaka*
*Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**Iwate University, 4-3-5 Ueda, Morioka, Iwate 020-8551, Japan
We propose visually simulating wood aging by microorganisms using an ant colony optimization algorithm to generate wood aging patterns. Ants deposit pheromone similar to termites and wood deterioration caused by termites is simulated using this algorithm. Patterns generated by this algorithm resemble many pattern in nature, meaning ant paths are representative of worm paths and ant pheromones are representative of microorganism growth. We demonstrate the effectiveness of this technique in experiments.
-  J. Dorsey, H. K. Pedersen, and P. Hanrahan, “Flow and Changes in Appearance,” In Computer Graphics proceedings, Annual Conference Series, pp. 411-420, ACM SIGGRAPH, 1996.
-  S. C. Hsu and T. T. Wong, “Simulating dust accumulation,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.15, pp. 18-22, 1995.
-  E. Paquette, P. Poulin, and G. Drettakis, “Surface aging by impacts,” In Graphics Interface 2001, pp. 175-182, 2001.
-  E. Paquette, P. Poulin, and G. Drettakis, “The simulation of paint cracking and peeling,” In Graphics Interface 2002, pp. 59-68, 2002.
-  T. T. Wong, W. Y. Ng, and P. A. Heng, “A geometry dependent texture generation framework for simulating surface imperfections,” In Eurographics Workshop on Rendering 1997, pp. 139-150, 1997.
-  J. Dorsey and P. Hanrahan, “Modeling and rendering of metallic patinas,” In Computer Graphics proceedings, Annual Conference Series, pp. 387-396, ACM SIGGRAPH, 1996.
-  J. Dorsey, A. Edelman, H. W. Jensen, J. Legakis, and H. K. Pedersen, “Modeling and rendering of weathered stone,” In Computer Graphics proceedings, Annual Conference Series, pp. 225-234, ACM SIGGRAPH, 1999.
-  S. Merillou, J. M. Dischler, and D. Ghazanfarpour, “Corrosion: simulating and rendering,” In Graphics Interface 2001, pp. 167-174, 2001.
-  B. Desbenoit, E. Galin, and S. Akkouche, “Simulating and modeling lichen growth,” Computer Graphics Forum, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 341-350, 2004.
-  Y. Ogasawara, K. Muraoka, and N. Chiba, “Visual simulation of moss taking into account growth environment,” The Journal of the Institute of Image Electronics Engineers of Japan, Vol.31, pp. 496-503, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Ogasawara, K. Muraoka, and N. Chiba, “Visual simulation of moss taking into account local environment on temperature and humidity,” The Journal of the Society for Art and Science, Vol.2, pp. 31-39, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. A. Witten and L. M. Sander, “Diffusion-Limited Aggregation, a Kinetic Critical Phenomenon,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.47, No.19, pp. 1400-1403, 1981.
-  S. Gobron and N. Chiba, “3D surface cellular automata and their applications,” The Journal of Visualization and Computer Animation, Vol.10, pp. 143-158, 1999.
-  S. Gobron and N. Chiba, “Crack pattern simulation based on 3D surface cellular automata,” The Visual Computer, Vol.17, pp. 287-309, 2001.
-  S. Gobron and N. Chiba, “Simulation of peeling using 3D-surface cellular automata,” In Proceedings Pacific Graphics 2001, pp. 338-347, 2001.
-  Y. Chen, L. Xia, T.-T. Wong, X. Tong, H. Bao, B. Guo, and H.-Y. Shum, “Visual simulation of weathering by g-ton tracing,” ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 1127-1133, 2005.
-  M. Drigo, V. Maniezzo, and A. Colorni, “The ant system: optimization by a colony of cooperating agents,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part B, Vol.26, pp. 1-13, 1996.
-  X. Yin, T. Fujimoto, and N. Chiba, “CG Representation of wood aging with distortion, cracking and erosion,” The Journal of the Society for Art and Science, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 216-223, 2004.
-  X. Yin, T. Fujimoto, K. Muraoka, and N. Chiba, “Visual simulation of wood weathering,” The Journal of the Society for Art and Science, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 108-110, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  S. Yaga, S. Kawachi, and Y. Imamura, “Wood Science Series 12, Preservation and Durability (first edition),” Kaiseisha Press, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  B. Bullnheimer, R. F. Hartl, and C. Strauss, “A new rank-based version of the ant system: a computational study,” Central European Journal of Operations Research, Vol.7, pp. 25-38, 1999.
-  T. Stuzle and H. H. Hoos, “MAX-MIN ant system,” Future Generation Computer Systems, pp. 889-914, 2000.
-  Y. Nakamichi and T. Arita, “Diversity control in ant colony optimization,” Artif Life Robotics, Vol.7, pp. 198-204, 2004.
-  A. Doi and A. Koide, “Tetrahedral grid method for equi-valued surface generation,” In Third NICOGRAPH Thesis Contest, pp. 55-61, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  T. M. Morse, T. C. Ferree, and S. R. Lockery, “Robust spatial navigation in a robot inspired by chemotaxis in Caenorhabditis elegans,” Adaptive Behavior, Vol.6, pp. 393-410, 1998.
-  S. Imamura, “Termite movies,”
In http://www.imamuranet.com/mov/movieCD.htm ,
IMAMURA SHIROARI Corporation, 2002 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.