Intelligent Information Presentation Corresponding to User Request Based on Collaboration Between Text and 2D Charts
Chiaki Watanabe and Ichiro Kobayashi
Graduate School of Humanities and Sciences, Advanced Sciences, Ochanomizu University, 2-1-1 Ootsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8610, Japan
We discuss intelligent information provision involving different modal information collaboratively presented, with an example of news articles about stock prices summarized based on 2D chart representation on stock prices. We use the MuST corpus, an annotated corpus for easily extracting trends in information, e.g., statistical values, etc., as the news article corpus to be summarized. We associate the MuST corpus with numerical data on the stock prices, and propose a way to provide people with a summarized text about news articles on prices corresponding to 2D chart representation.
-  T. Kato, M. Matsushita, and Y. Kando, “MuST: A Workshop on Multimodal Summarization for Trend Information,” Proc. NTCIR-5 Workshop Meeting, pp. 556-563, 2005.
-  T. Kato and M. Matsushita, “An analysis ab cooperation of a text in a newspaper article and a graph,” The Association for Natural Language Processing A No. 9 Annual Conf., pp. 47-50, 2003.
-  C.Matthiessen, Z. Licheng, M. Cross, Ichiro Kobayashi, K. Teruya, and W. Canzhong, “The Multex generator and its environment: application and development,” Proc. The 9th Int.Workshop on Natural Language Generation (INLG-98), pp. 228-237, Aug., 1998.
-  H. P. Luhn, “The automatic creation of literature abstracts,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 159-165, 1958.
-  G. Salton, “Automatic Text Processing,” Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  H. P. Edmundson, “New methods in automatic extracting,” Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, Vol.16, Issue 2, pp. 264-285, 1969.
-  R. Barzilay and M. Elhadad, “Using lexical chains for text summarization,” Proc. of the ACL Workshop on Intelligent Scalable Text Summarization, pp. 10-17, 1997.
-  D. Marucu, “From Discourse Structures to Text Summaries,” Proc. of the ACL Workshop on Intelligent Scalable Text Summarization, pp. 82-88, 1997.
-  M. Corio and G. Lapalme, “Integrated Generation of Graphics and Text: A Corpus Study,” Proc. CVIR98, pp. 63-68, 1998.
-  S. Carberry, S. Elzer, N. Green, K. McCoy, and D. Chester, “Extending Document Summarization to Information Graphics,” Proc. ACL Workshop on Text Summarization, 2004.
-  I. Kobayashi, “A Study on Natural Language Expression of a Chart Behavior,” SOFT, Vol.3. No.12, pp. 406-416, June, 2000.