Robust Non-Overshoot Time Responses Using Cascade Sliding Mode-PID Control
Thanh H. Tran, Quang P. Ha, and Hung T. Nguyen
Faculty of Engineering, University of Technology, Sydney, PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, Australia
Overshoot is a serious problem in automatic control systems. This paper presents a new method for elimination of the step response overshoot in a conventional PID-controlled system and enhancement of its robustness by cascading a sliding mode controller in the outer loop. The idea is first to use the cascade control principle to model the under-damped system under PID control with a second-order system. Then, by making use of the sliding mode control outer loop, a robust, reduced-order response can be obtained to suppress the control overshoot. The proposed approach can also deal with time delay systems. Its validity is verified through simulation for some dynamic systems subject to highly nonlinear uncertainties, where overshoot remains an issue.
-  J. G. Ziegler and N. B. Nichols, “Optimum setting for automatic controllers,” ASME Transactions, Vol.64, pp. 759-768, 1942.
-  C.-C. Yu, “Autotuning of PID controllers: relay feedback approach,” London; New York: Springer, 1999.
-  C. C. Hang, T. H. Lee, and T. T. Tay, “The use of recursive parameter estimation as an auto-tuning aid,” Proc. ISA Annual Conf., pp. 387-396, 1984.
-  C. C. Hang and K. K. Sin, “On-line auto tuning of PID controllers based on the cross-correlation technique,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.38, pp. 428-437, 1991.
-  G. F. Franklin, J. D. Powell, and A. Emami-Naeini, “Feedback control of dynamic systems,” 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2002.
-  C. C. Hang, K. J. Astrom, and W. K. Ho, “Refinements of the Ziegler-Nichols tuning formula,” Control Theory and Applications, IEE Proc. D, Vol.138, pp. 111-118, 1991.
-  M. Zhuang and D. P. Atherton, “Optimum cascade PID controller design for SISO systems,” Proc. IEE Conf. on Control, Warwick UK, Vol.1, pp. 606-611, 1994.
-  J. Y. Hung, W. Gao, and J. C. Hung, “Variable structure control: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.40, pp. 2-22, 1993.
-  W. Tan, J. Liu, T. Chen, and H. J. Marquez, “Robust Analysis and PID Tuning of Cascade Control Systems,” Chemical Engineering Communications, Vol.192, pp. 1204-1220, 2005.
-  A. A. Voda and I. D. Landau, “A method for the auto-calibration of PID controllers,” Automatica, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 41-53, 1995.
-  Q. P. Ha, D. C. Rye, and H. F. Durrant-Whyte, “Robust sliding mode control with application,” Int. Journal of Control, Vol.72, No.12, pp. 1087-1096, 1999.
-  T. H. Tran, N. M. Kwok, M. T. Nguyen, Q. P. Ha, and G. Fang, “Sliding Mode-PID Controller for Robust Low-level Control of a UGV,” Proc. of the IEEE Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering, pp. 684-689, 2006.
-  R. Young-Hoon and O. Jun-Ho, “Sliding mode control with uncertainty adaptation for uncertain input-delay systems,” Int. Journal of Control, Vol.73, pp. 1255-1260, 2000.
-  T. H. Tran, Q. P. Ha, R. Grover, and S. Scheding, “Modelling of an autonomous amphibious vehicle,” Proc. of the 2004 Australian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 2004.
-  Q. P. Ha, T. H. Tran, S. Scheding, G. Dissanayake, and H. F. Durrant-Whyte, “Control Issues of an Autonomous Vehicle,” Proc. the 22th Int. Symposium on Automation and robotics in Construction, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.