Fuzzy Activity Network Method for Project Scheduling Under Resource Constraints
Luong Duc Long and Ario Ohsato
Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamitomioka Machi, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
In this article, a fuzzy activity network method is developed for project scheduling under resource constraints. Trapezoidal fuzzy numbers are used for estimating uncertain durations of activities, and then these fuzzy numbers are replaced by suitable crisp durations for project scheduling under resource constraints. In the next step, the critical chain is identified for determining the project duration, and uncertainties associated with activities are addressed by using feeding/project buffers to protect the project schedule from disturbances. For minimizing project duration, the proposed method considers both the suitable crisp durations and the start times of activities as decision variables. Hence, a new procedure based on genetic algorithm and priority heuristics is also developed for efficiently determining these decision variables. Furthermore, the method also considers selecting the best possible relationships between activities to minimize project duration. The proposed method using buffers makes it possible to improve project scheduling under resource constraints.
-  D. Malcolm, J. Roseboom, C. Clark, and W. Fazar, “Applications of a Technique for Research and Development Program Evaluation,” Operations Research, Vol.7, pp. 646-669, 1959.
-  J. Weglarz, “Project Scheduling: Recent models, Algorithms and Applications,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
-  S. Chanas and Kamburowski, “The use of fuzzy variables in PERT,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.5, pp. 11-19, 1981.
-  D. Dubois and H. Prade, “Fuzzy Sets and systems: Theory and Application,” New York, Academic Press, 1980.
-  A. Kaufman and M. M. Gupta, “Introduction to Fuzzy Arithmetic theory and applications,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1985.
-  I. Gazdik, “Fuzzy Network Planning- FNET,” IEEE Transactions on reliability, Vol.R32, No.3, 1983.
-  F. A. Lootsma, “Stochastic and fuzzy PERT,” European J. Op. Rer, Vol.43, pp. 174-183, 1989.
-  L. Pasit and M. Osama, “Project Network Analysis using fuzzy sets theory,” Journal of Constr. Engrg and Mgmt, Vol.122(4), pp. 308-317, 1996.
-  L. D. Long and A. Ohsato, “Project Schedule Management Using a Fuzzy Activity Network Considering Resource and Environmental Factors,” Journal of Japanese Industrial Management Association, Vol.57(4), pp. 261-271, 2006.
-  S. Tamimi, “Soft logic in network analysis,” J. Computation Civil Eng, pp. 289-300, 1988.
-  W. C. Wang, “Impact of soft logic on the probabilistic duration of construction projects,” International Journal of Project Management, Vol.23, pp. 600-610, 2005.
-  E. M. Goldratt, “Critical Chain,” The North River Press Publishing Corporation, p. 246, 1997.
-  R. Newbol, “Project management in the fast lane: Applying the Theory of Constraints,” Lucie Press, Newyork, p. 248, 1998.
-  W. S. Herroelen, R. Leus, and E. L. Demeulemeester, “Critical chain project scheduling: Do not oversimplify,” Project management Journal, Vol.53(4), pp. 48-60, 2002.
-  W. S. Herroelen and R. Leus, “On the merits and pitfalls of critical chain scheduling,” Journal of Operations Management, Vol.19, pp. 559-577, 2001.
-  O. Zwikael, Y. Cohen, and A. Sadeh, “ Non-delay scheduling as a managerial approach for managing projects,” International Journal of Project Management, Vol.24(4), pp. 330-336, 2006.
-  J. Wiest, “Some properties of schedules for large projects with limited resource,” Operations Research, Vol.12, pp. 395-416, 1964.
-  W. T. Chan, D. K. Chua, and G. Kannan, “Construction Resource Scheduling with Genetic Algorithms,” J. Constr. Engrg. and Mgmt., ASCE, Vol.122(2), pp. 125-132, 1996.
-  L. D. Long and A. Ohsato, “Solving the resource constrained project scheduling problem by genetic algorithm,” Journal of Japanese Industrial Management Association, Vol.57(6), pp. 520-529, 2007.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  O. Shinkoh and G. Mitsuo, “Fuzzy multiple choice knapsack problem,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.67(1), pp. 71-80, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.