Analyzing Usage of Indoor Space from Ecological Aspects Based on Constraint-Oriented Fuzzy Sets
Tomoko Ohya, Masanori Shimamoto, Takayuki Shiose,
Hiroshi Kawakami, and Osamu Katai
Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan
This paper proposes a framework for analyzing the relationships between human recognition and the ecological aspects of physical space, aiming to support conflict management of architectural designs. Our framework employs novel fuzzy sets: the Constraint-Interval Fuzzy Set (CoIFS) , which visualizes roles of architectural spaces from the viewpoint of space usages and the physical abilities of target users. For designing indoor spatial layouts, the users are the inhabitants. From an ecological viewpoint, environments affect inhabitant behaviors on every location and scene. Among several ecological factors, we adopt pathway likeness and settling attraction as examples of metrics for evaluating space. Inhabitants’ personalities are implemented by configurations of private/official space and settling attractions for simulating their behavior in a room. Based on simulation results, a spatial layout is evaluated by metrics that enable us to translate the roles of space into CoIFS. The potential of our framework is also discussed with the architectural notions of P-Space and N-Space.
-  O. Katai, M. Ida, T. Sawaragi, and S. Iwai, “Treatment of Fuzzy Concepts by Order Relations And Constraint-Oriented Fuzzy Inference,” Proc. of NAFIPS’90, pp. 300-303, 1990.
-  J. Bento, “Collaborative Design and Learning: Competence Building for Innovation,” Praeger/Greenwood, 2004.
-  M. P. Groover and E. W. Zimmers, Jr., “CAD/CAM: Computer-Aided Design and Manufacturing,” Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall, 1984.
-  J. Kolodner, “Case-Based Reasoning,” Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1993.
-  H. J. J. Kals and F. van Houten, “Integration of Process Knowledge Into Design Support Systems,” Springer, 1999.
-  D. A. Norman, “Human-Centered Design Considered Harmful,” Interactions, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 14-19, 2005.
-  O. Katai, M. Ida, T. Sawaragi, S. Iwai, S. Khono, and T. Kataoka, “Constraint-Oriented Fuzzy Control Schemes for Cart-pole Systems by Goal Decoupling And Genetic Algorithms,” Fuzzy Control Systems, pp. 182-195, 1993.
-  R. Ohno, “Concept of Ambient Vision and Description Method of Ambient Visual Information: A Study on Description Method of Ambient Visual Information and Its Application (Part 1),” Journal of Architecture, Planning and Environmental Engineering, Transactions of AIJ, No.451, pp. 85-92, 1993.
-  T. Kinoshita and R. Ohno, “The influence of the changes in incoming stimulus information caused by human movement on the direction of visual attention,” Proc. of 1995 Annual Conference of Architectural Institute of Japan, pp. 811-812, 1995.
-  K. Sato, O. Katai, T. Horiuchi, and H. Kawakami, “Extracting Fuzzy Inference Rules by Instance Generalization And Neural Computation for Constraint-Oriented Decision Making,” International Symposium on nonlinear Theory and its Applications, pp. 749-754, 1999.
-  K. Sato, O. Katai, T. Horiuchi, M. Ida, and H. Kawakami, “Acquisition of Constraint-Oriented Fuzzy Inference Rules by Instance Generalization and Neural Computation,” Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.37, No.11, pp. 1069-1077, 2001.
-  K. Lynch, “The Image of The City,” MIT Press, 1960.
-  D. V. Canter, “The Psychology of Place,” Palgrave Macmillan, 1977.
-  J. J. Gibson, “The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception,” Houghton Mifflin, 1979.
-  N. Turnbull, “Thinking and The Art of Furniture,” Space and Culture, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 156-172, 2004.
-  Architectural Institute of Japan, “Handbook of Environmental Design – Human Being,” Maruzen Co., Ltd, 2003.
-  Y. Ashihara, “Exterior Design in Architecture,” Litton Educational Publishing International, 1970.
-  H. Kawakami, Y. Ito, and Y. Kanazawa, “A Robust Method for Detecting Planar Regions based on Random Sampling using Distributions of Feature Points,” Systems and Computers in Japan, Vol.37, Issue 4, pp. 11-22, 2006 (translated from IEICE Trans. D-II, Vol.J88-D-II, No.2, pp. 313-324, 2005).
-  A. Hiroike, Y. Musha, A. Sugimoto, and Y. Mori, “Visualization of the Information Space to Retrieve and Browse Image Database,” Visual Information and Information Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.1614, pp. 155-162, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.