Network Distributed Monitoring System for Home Service Robots Based on RT Middleware
Songmin Jia, Harunori Gakuhari, and Kunikatsu Takase
University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-City, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
In this paper, we developed a network distributed monitoring system for home service robots to improve the interaction among the users and local service robotic system. Home integration robot system and network monitoring system using QuickCam Orbit cameras were developed and demonstrated from June 9 to June 19 at the 2005 World Exposition, Aichi, Japan. In order to extend the application of system, we improved the developed network distributed monitoring system using IEEE1394 cameras with high performance and high resolution. Robot Technology Middleware (RTM) was used in the developed system. By using RTM, we can develop robotic functional elements as “RT software components” that can be implemented by different programming languages, run in different operating system, or connected in different networks. It is also easy to create comprehensive robot system application by re-using existing RT modules. The developed system can facilitate network-distributed software sharing and improve the cost of writing and maintaining software.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W. Yoon, “Implementation of RT composite components and a component manager,” The 22nd Annual conference of the Robotic Society of Japan, IC26, 2004.
-  K. Kitagaki, N. Suehiro, N. Ando, T. Kotoku, and W. Yoon, “GUI components for system development using RT components,” The 22nd Annual conference of the Robotic Society of Japan, IC23, 2004.
-  S. Jia and K. Takase, “Internet-based robotic system using CORBA as communication architecture,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic System, 34(2), pp. 121-134, 2001.
-  S. Jia, Y. Hada, and K. Takase, “Distributed Telerobotics System Based on Common Object Request Broker Architecture,” The International Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, No.39, pp. 89-103, 2004.
-  H. Gakuhari, S. Jia, Y. Hada, and K. Takase, “Real-Time Navigation for Multiple Mobile Robots in a Dynamic Environment,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, Singapore, pp. 113-118, 2004.
-  Y. Hada, H. Gakuhari, K. Takase, and E. I. Hemeldan, “Delivery Service Robot Using Distributed Acquisition, Actuators and Intelligence,” Proceeding of 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and System (IROS’2004), pp. 2997-3002, 2004.
-  Y. Hada, S. Jia, K. Takase, H. Gakuhari, H. Nakamoto, and T. Ohnishi, “Development of Home Robot Integration System Based on Robot Technology Middleware,” The 36th International Symposium on Robotics (ISR 2005), TU4H6, Japan.
-  Message-orientated middleware:
-  T. Ohnishi and K. Takase, “The maneuvering system of omnidirectional wheelchair by changing user’s posture,” Proceeding of 2002 international Conference on Control, Automation and System (ICCAS2002), pp. 1438-1443, 2002.
-  http://www.orin.jp/ .
-  Object Management Group,
-  Object Oriented Concepts, Inc.,
-  Java remote method invocation:
-  http://www.is.aist.go.jp/rt/ .
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.