Handwriting Recognition Applications for Tablet PCs
Dat Tran, Wanli Ma, and Dharmendra Sharma
School of Information Sciences and Engineering, University of Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
This paper presents handwriting recognition applications developed and tested on the tablet PC – a new generation of notebook computers. Users write on a tablet PC screen with a tablet pen and a built-in user-independent handwriting recognition tool converts handwritings to printed text. We present handwriting recognition applications using the built-in recognition tool and signature verification using our own verification tool based on fuzzy c-means vector quantization (FCMVQ) and observable Markov modeling (OMM). Experimental results for the signature verification system are also presented.
-  R. J. Anderson, R. Anderson, B. Simon, S. A. Wolfman, T. VanDe-Grift, and K. Yasuhara, “Experiences with a tablet pc based lecture presentation system in computer science courses,” in Proc. of the 35th SIGCSE technical symposium on Computer science education, pp. 56-60, 2004.
-  R. J. Anderson, C. Hoyer, S. A. Wolfman, and R. Anderson, “A Study of Digital Ink in Lecture Presentation,” in Proc. of CHI’04, ACM Press, pp. 567-574, Apr. 2004.
-  R. J. Anderson, R. Anderson, T. VanDeGriff, S. A. Wolfman, and K. Yasuhara, “Classroom presentation from the Tablet PC,” in Proc. of the 8th annual conference on innovation and technology in computer science education, p. 238, 2003.
-  R. Condon, “Tablet PC’s in Education,” National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education, Electronic file, retrieved Jul. 3, 2004,
-  M. Egger, “Creating Tablet PC Applications with VS .NET,”
Oct. 6, 2003.
-  E. F. Gehringer, “Electronic peer review and peer grading in computer-science courses,” Proceedings of the thirty-second SIGCSE technical symposium on Computer Science Education, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States, pp. 139-143, Feb. 2001.
-  P. Lowe, “Bentley College students evaluate Tablet PCs,”
retrieved Mar. 20, 2006.
-  K. Mock, “Teaching with Tablet PC,” Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 17-27, 2004.
Documents retrieved on Mar. 20, 2006 from
-  Notre Dame Tablet PC Initiative.
Retrieved Mar. 20, 2006 from
-  M. A. Pérez-Quiñones and S. Turner, “Using a Tablet-PC to Provide Peer-Review Comments,” Technical Report TR-04-17, Computer Science, Virginia Tech.
-  Microsoft Corporation, “Tablet PC,” retrieved Mar. 19, 2006,
-  Microsoft Corporation, “Education Pack for Tablet PC,”
retrieved Mar. 19, 2006.
-  Microsoft Corporation, “Massachusetts Institute of Technology Changes the Face of Education using Tablet PCs.”
-  SHU Tablet PC Project.
Retrieved Mar. 20, 2006 from
-  D. Tran and D. Sharma, “Fuzzy Observable Markov Model for Cell Phase Identification,” in Proceedings of the Joint 3rd International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems and 7th International Symposium on advanced Intelligent Systems (SCIS & ISIS), Tokyo, Japan, pp. 1122-1125, Sep. 2006.
-  D. Tran, W. Ma, and D. Sharma, “Tablet PC-Based Handwriting Applications,” in Proceedings of the Joint 3rd International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems and 7th International Symposium on advanced Intelligent Systems (SCIS & ISIS), Tokyo, Japan, pp. 1368-1373, Sep. 2006.
-  D. Tran, “New Background Modeling for Speaker Verification,” in the Proceedings of the INTERSPEECH, Conference, Korea, Vol.4, pp. 2605-2608, Oct. 2004.
-  D. Tran and D. Sharma, “New Background Speaker Models and Experiments on the ANDOSL Speech Corpus,” Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence: Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, New Zealand, Vol.2, pp. 498-503, Sep. 2004.
-  D. Tran and D. Sharma, “A Fuzzy Approach to Speaker Verification,” International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI), Vol.16, No.7, pp. 913-925, 2002.
-  D. Tran and M. Wagner, “Fuzzy Gaussian Mixture Models for Speaker Recognition,” Australian Journal of Intelligent Information Processing Systems (AJIIPS), Vol.5, No.4, pp. 293-300, 1998.
-  J. V. West, “Tablet PC Quick Reference,” Microsoft Press, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.