Applying SIP VoIP to Context-Aware Telephony
Hsien-Chang Wang*, Gu-Jun Chen*, and Jenq-Muh Hsu**
*Department of Information Management, Chang Jung Christian University, 396 Chang Jung Rd., Sec.1, Kway Jen, Tainan 71101, Taiwan, R.O.C.
**Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, Chung Cheng University, 168, University Rd., Min-Hsiung Chia-Yi, Taiwan, R.O.C.
The simple, efficient Session Initial Protocol (SIP) is widely used to integrate context-awareness computing techniques. We propose a SIP-based research framework that integrates automatic speech generation to make communication between users more convenient. Based on the proposed approach, we built and tested a SIP context server and several SIP agents hosted on PCs. If the called party is absent or busy, a context-aware message is automatically replied to the caller via synthesized natural speech. Experiments conducted by 50 college students using ADSL connected to the SIP server showed encouraging results, especially in user satisfaction in message transfer rates and service waits.
-  M. Weiser, “The Computer for the 21st Century,” Scientific American, pp. 94-104, September, 1991.
-  J. Pascoe, “Adding Generic Contextual Capabilities to Wearable Computers,” Proc. of the 2nd International Symposium on Wearable Computers, pp. 92-99, October, 1998.
-  H. Morikawa, “The Design and Implementation of Network Service Platform for Pervasive Computing,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.2532, pp. 41-49, 2002.
-  H. Morikawa, “The Design and Implementation of Context-Aware Services,” IEEE Proc. of the 2004 International Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops (SAINTW’04), pp. 268-273, January, 2004.
-  T. Lemlouma and N. Layaida, “Context-aware adaptation for mobile devices,” Mobile Data Management, Proc. of IEEE International Conference on 2004, pp. 106-111, 2004.
-  H. Soliman, “Mobile IPv6 Mobility in a Wireless Internet,” Boston, Addison-Wesley, 2004.
-  Y. Zhang, “SIP-based VoIP network and its internetworking with the PSTN,” Electronics & Communication Engineering Journal, Vol.14, Issue 6, pp. 273-282, 2002.
-  J. Z. Sun and J. Sauvola, “Towards a conceptual model for contextaware adaptive services,” IEEE Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on PDCAT’2003, pp. 90-94, August, 2003.
-  T. Hofer, W. Schwinger, M. Pichler, G. Leonhartsberger, and J. Altmann, “Context-awareness on mobile devices – the hydrogen approach,” IEEE Conference on Proceedings of the 36th Annual Hawaii International System Sciences, pp. 292-301, January, 2003.
-  G. D. Abowd, C. G. Atkeson, J. Hong, S. Long, R. Kooper, and M. Pinkerton, “Cyberguide: A Mobile Context-Aware Tour Guide,” ACM Wireless Networks – Special issue: Mobile Computing and Networking: selected papers from MobiCom ’96, pp. 421-433, October, 1997.