Fuzzy Sensor Fusion for Humanitarian Demining
Zakarya Zyada*,**, Yasuhiro Kawai**, Takayuki Matsuno***,
and Toshio Fukuda**
*Mechanical Eng. Dept., Tanta Univ., Seberpay, Tanta, Egypt
**Micro-Nano System Eng. Dept., Nagoya Univ., 1 Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
***Dept. of Intelligent Systems Design Eng., Toyama Prefectural University, 5180 Kurokawa, Imizu-City, Toyama, Japan
In this paper, an automatic sensor-fusion based detection algorithm of an anti-personnel land mine is presented. A “feature in-decision out” fuzzy sensor fusion algorithm for a ground penetrating radar (GPR), and a metal detector (MD), for anti-personnel landmine detection is introduced. The inputs to the fuzzy fusion system are features extracted from both GPR and MD measurements. The output from the fuzzy fusion system is a decision if there is a land mine and at what depth it would be. Fuzzy fusion rules are extracted from training data through a fuzzy learning algorithm. Experimental test results are presented to demonstrate the validity of the proposed fuzzy fusion algorithm and hence its influence in minimizing the false alarm rate for humanitarian demining.
and Toshio Fukuda, “Fuzzy Sensor Fusion for Humanitarian Demining,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.11, No.7, pp. 735-744, 2007.
-  T. Fukuda, K. Yokoe, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukui, “Land mine detection algorithm using ultra wide band GPR,” Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Systems and Human Science, pp. 295-300, 2003.
-  Y. Hasegawa, Y. Kawai, K. Yokoe, and T. Fukuda, “Automatic extraction for mine suspects from GPR,” Proceedings of IARP International Workshop on Robotics and Mechanical Assistance in Humanitarian Demining (HUDEM2005), pp. 27-32, June, 2005.
-  F. Cremer, K. Schutte, J. G. M. Schavemaker, and E. den Breejen, “A comparison of decision-level sensor-fusion methods for antipersonnel landmine detection,” Information Fusion, No.2, pp. 187-208, 2001.
-  N.Milisavljevic and I. Bloch, “Sensor fusion in anti-personnel mine detection using a two-level belief function model,” IEEE Trans. On Systems Man and Cybernetics-Part C, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 269-283, 2003.
-  M. Sato, J. Fujiwara, X. Feng, Z. Zhou, and T. Kobayashi, “Development of a hand-held GPR MD sensor system (ALIS),” Proceedings of SPIE-the International Society for Optical engineering, Vol.5794, pp. 1000-1007, June, 2005.
-  R. L. Van Dam, B. Borchers, and J. M. H. Hendrickx, “Strength of landmine signatures under different soil conditions: implications for sensor fusion,” International Journal of Systems Science, Vol.36(9), pp. 573-588, 2005.
-  S. Auephanwiriyakul, J. M. Keller, and P. D. Gader, “Generalized choquet fuzzy integral fusion,” Information Fusion, Vol.3, pp. 69-85, 2002.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “Outline of a New Approach to the Analysis of Complex Systems and Decision Processes,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.SMC-3, No.1, pp. 28-44, January, 1973.
-  P. D. Gader, M. Keller, and B. N. Nelson, “Recognition technology for the detection of buried land mines,” IEEE transactions on fuzzy systems, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 31-43, 2001.
-  L. X. Wang and J. Mendel, “Generating fuzzy rules by learning from examples,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern. Vol.24, pp. 332-342, Feb., 1992.
-  Z. Zyada, Y. Hasegawa, G. Vachkov, and T. Fukuda, “Implementing fuzzy learning algorithms in a 6 DOF hydraulic parallel link manipulator: actuators’ fuzzy modelling,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 408-419, 2002.
-  T. Fukuda, Y. Hasegawa, Y. Kawai, S. Sato, Z. Zyada, and T. Matsuno, “Automatic land-mine detection system using adaptive sensing with vector GPR,” Proceedings of 32nd Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON06, Paris, pp. 4498-4503, Nov. 7-10, 2006.
-  Z. Zyada, Y. Kawai, T. Matsuno, and T. Fukuda, “Fuzzy sensor fusion for mine detection,” Joint 3rd International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems, 7th International Symposium on Advanced Intelligent Systems, SCIS-ISIS 2006, Tokyo, pp. 349-354, September, 2006.
-  P. J. C. Branco and J. A. Dente, “An Experiment in Automatic Modeling an Electrical Drive System using Fuzzy Logic,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 254-262, May, 1998.
-  P. J. C. Branco and J. A. Dente, “On using Fuzzy Logic to Integrate Learning Mechanisms in an Electro-Hydraulic System-part I: Actuator’s Fuzzy Modeling,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 305-316, Aug., 2000.
-  P. J. C. Branco and J. A. Dente, “On using Fuzzy Logic to Integrate Learning Mechanisms in an Electro-Hydraulic System-part II: Actuator’s Position Control,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 317-327, Aug., 2000.
-  Z. Zyada, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Implementing Fuzzy Learning Algorithms in a 6 DOF Hydraulic Parallel Link Manipulator: Control with Actuators’ Forces Fuzzy Compensation,” Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence, JACI, Vol.6 No.3, pp. 100-108, 2002.
-  Z. Zyada, Y. Kawai, T. Matsuno, and T. Fukuda, “Sensor fusion based fuzzy rules learning for humanitarian mine detection,” SICEICASE International Joint Conference 2006, Bussan, Korea, October, 2006.
-  J. Yen, “Fuzzy logic-a modern perspective,” IEEE transactions on knowledge and data engineering, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 153-165, 1999.
-  Y. Hasegawa, Y. Kawai, K. Yokoe, and T. Fukuda, “Low-groundpressure vehicle for adaptive mine detection,” Proceedings of Joint International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems and 5th International Symposium on Advanced Intelligent Systems, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.