Access Control and Scalable Encryption Using a Stream Cipher for JPEG 2000 Encoded Images
Ayman Haggag*, Mohamed Ghoneim*, Jianming Lu**,
and Takashi Yahagi**
*Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
**Graduate School of Advanced Integration Science, Chiba University
The access control and scalable encryption scheme we propose for JPEG 2000 encoded images encrypts JEPG 2000 codestreams using the SNOW 2 progressive encryption algorithm to encrypt resolutions, quality layers, or packets independently to provide resolution, quality or fine-grain scalability. Access is controlled to different image resolutions or quality levels granted to different users receiving the same encrypted JPEG 2000 codestream but having different decryption keys. Keys used with successive resolutions or quality layers are mutually dependent based on the SHA-256 one-way hashing function. Encrypted JPEG 2000 codestreams are transcoded by an intermediate untrusted network transcoder, without decryption and without access to decryption keys. Our encryption scheme preserves most of the inherent flexibility of JPEG 2000 encoded images and is carefully designed to produce encrypted codestreams backward-compatible with JPEG 2000 compliant decoders.
and Takashi Yahagi, “Access Control and Scalable Encryption Using a Stream Cipher for JPEG 2000 Encoded Images,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.11, No.7, pp. 728-734, 2007.
-  Information Technology – JPEG 2000 Image Coding System, ISO/IEC International Standard 15444-1, ITU Recommendation T.8000, 2000.
-  D. Taubman and M. Marcellin, “JPEG 2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards and Practice,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
-  JPSEC Final Draft International Standard, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29 WG1 N3297, March 2005.
-  B. Zhu, M. D. Swanson, and S. Li, “Encryption and authentication for scalable multimedia: current state of the art and challenges,” Proceedings of SPIE, Vol.5601, pp. 157-170, 2001.
-  R. Grosbois, P. Gerbelot, and T. Ebrahimi, “Authentication and access control in the JPEG 2000 compressed domain,” SPIE, Vol.4472, pp. 95-104, 2001.
-  R. H. Deng, Y. Wu, and D. Ma, “Securing JPEG 2000 codestreams,” International Workshop on Advanced Developments in Software and Systems security, Dec. 2003.
-  Y. Wu, D. Ma, and R. H. Deng, “Progressive protection of JPEG 2000 codestreams,” IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing, pp. 3439-3442, Oct. 24-27, 2004.
-  Y. Wu and R. H. Deng, “Complient encryption of JPEG 2000 codestreams,” IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing, pp. 3447-3450, Oct. 24-27, 2004.
-  C. Serrao, A. Serra, P. Fonseca, and J. Dias, “A method of protecting and controlling access to JPEG2000 images,” Proceedings of SPIE, Vol.5203, pp. 272-286, 2003.
-  S. Wee and J. Apostolopoulos, “Secure Scalable Video Streaming for Wireless Networks,” In IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSO), May 2001.
-  S. Wee and J. Apostolopoulos, “Secure Scalable Streaming Enabling Transcoding without Decryption,” In IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Oct. 2001.
-  S. Wee and J. Apostolopoulos, “Secure Scalable Streaming and Secure Transcoding with JPEG 2000,” In IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Sept. 2003.
-  S. Wee and J. Apostolopoulos, “Secure Transcoding with JPSEC Confidentiality and Authentication,” In IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), 2004.
-  A. Haggag, M. Ghoneim, J. Lu, and T. Yahagi, “Scalable Access Control for JPEG 2000 Encoded Images Using JPSEC Protection Tools,” SCIS&ISIS, pp. 804-808, Sept. 20-24, 2006.
-  P. Ekdahl and T. Johansson, “SNOW – a new stream cipher,” Proceedings of the first NESSIE Workshop, Heverlee, Belgium, 2000.
-  P. Ekdahl and T. Johansson, “A new version of the stream cipher SNOW,” Selected Areas in Cryptography, 9th Annual International Workshop, SAC, 2002.
-  Information Technology –Security Techniques– Encryption Algorithms– Part 4: Stream Ciphers, ISO/IEC International Standard 18033-4, 2005.
-  FIPS 180-2, Secure Hash Standard (SHS), August 2002.
-  JJ2000, An implementation of JPEG2000 in JAVATM,
available at http://jj2000.epfl.ch/ .
-  Kakadu, A fully compliant software toolkit for JPEG2000 developers,”
available at http://www.kakadusoftware.com/ .
-  SNOW 2.0, A fast implementation of SNOW 2.0,
available at http://www.it.lth.se/cryptology/snow/ .
-  SHA-256, A fast software implementation in C of the FIPS 180-2 hash algorithms,
available at http://www.ouah.org/ogay/sha2/ .
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.