Mapping Wireless Access Network Traffic to Multiservice Provisioning Platform
Sandisiwe N. Ncemane*, H. Anthony Chan**, and Tope R. Karem**
*South African Broadcasting Corporation
PO Box 292028, Melville 2109, Johannesburg, South Africa
**Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701, Cape Town, South Africa
Wireless access is needed to serve rural and urban sectors in the developing nations, while simultaneously encompassing both data and voice traffic in the same core network. We propose an architectural design of Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP) for WiMAX over SONET/SDH, which involves interworking conventional technologies to deliver a solution that caters to unique situations that favor wireless access network over fully cabled systems. It consists of Wireless Access Network design, 2-way interlinking section, and the MSPP – optical core Network. It enhances the versatility of the MSPP and uses the SONET/SDH core network efficiently.
-  W. Yue, and D. Gutierrez, “Digital Video Transport over SONET using GFP and Virtual Concatenation,” Fujitsu Network Communications, Technical proceedings of National Fiber Optics Engineers Conference 2003, pp. 845-851, 2003.
-  ITU-T G.7041 / Y.1301, “Generic Framing Procedure (GFP),” December, 2003.
-  ITU-T G.707 / Y.1322, “Network node interface for the Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH),” December, 2003.
-  ITU-T G.7042 / Y.1305, “Link capacity adjustment scheme (LCAS) for virtual concatenated signals,” February, 2004.
-  IEEE standard 802.16a, “Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems, Amendment 2: Medium access control modifications and additional physical layer specifications for 2-11 GHz,” Available: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.16a-2003.pdf
-  Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access Forum, “IEEE 802.16a Standard and WiMAX Igniting Broadband Wireless Access,” White Paper, Available: http://www.wimaxforum.org/news/downloads/ WIMAXWhitepaper.pdf [09/09/2004]
-  G. Sachs, “WiMAX and family: Threats and Opportunities,” Available: http://www.flarion.com/viewpoint/reports/gs WiMAX 090704.pdf [12/10/2004]
-  T. Smuru, “Techno-Economic Analysis of IEEE 802.16a-based Fixed Wireless Access Networks,” master thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, 2004, Available: http://netlab.hut.fi/u/tsmura/smura thesis.pdf [13/09/2004]
-  R. E. Schuh, C. Schuler, and M. Mateescu, “An Architecture for Radio –Independent Wireless Access Networks,” Proceedings of the 49th IEEE Annual International Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC’99, Houston, Texas, USA, Vol.2, pp. 1227-1231, May 16-19, 1999.
-  K. Wanichkorn, and M. Sirbu, “The Role of Fixed Wireless Access Networks in the Deployment of Broadband Services and Competition in Local Telecommunications Markets,” Available: http://itc.mit.edu/itel/docs/2002/wanichkorn sirbu.pdf [31/08/2004]
-  J. Lempiainen, and M. Manninen, “Radio Interface systems planning for GSM/GPRS/UMTS,” Kluwer Academic publishers, pp. 136-153, 2001.