Preparation of Cation Exchanger Using Electrospun Polystyrene Nanofiber
Hyung-Hwan An*, and Changyun Shin**
*Department of Safety Engineering, National Chungju University, 123 Geomdan-ri, Iryu-myeon, Chungju, Chungbuk 380-702, Korea
**Energy Lab., Samsung SDI Central Research, 575 Shin-dong, Yeongtong-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do 443-391, Korea
We studied a new ion exchanger for high ion exchange capacity (IEC) and rapid ion exchange. Polystyrene nanofiber ion exchangers (PSNIEs) were prepared by electrospinning from solutions of dissolved polystyrene followed by sulfonation. Coating and sulfonation were used to modify the glass fiber surface with polystyrene to produce cation exchanger fiber (CEF). We present new experimental results on the performance of PSNIE and CEF related to parameters of IEC, water uptake, and surface morpoholgy. IEC and water uptake of PSNIE depend on sulfonation time. IEC reached 3.74 mmol/g at relatively high water uptake of 0.6 to 0.77g H2O/g-dry-PNIE. IEC and water uptake of CEF reached 3.61mmol/g-CEF and 0.25g H2O/g-dry-CEF.
-  F. J. Desilva, “Essentials of Ion Exchange,” 25th annual WQA conference, March 17, 1999.
-  D. C. Szlag, and N. J. Wolf, “Recent advances in ion exchange materials and processes for pollution prevention,” Clean Products and Processes, 1, pp. 117-131, 1999.
-  A. M. Lazarin, C. A. Borgo, Y. Gushikem, and Y. V. Kholin, “Aluminum Phosphate Dispersed on a Cellulose Acetate Fiber Surface. Preparation, Characterization and Application in Li+, Na+ and K+ Separation,” Analytica Chimica Acta, 477, pp. 305-313, 2003.
-  L. Dominguez, K. R. Benak, and J. Economy, “Design of high efficiency polymeric cation exchange fibers,” Polym. Adv. Technol., 12, pp. 197-205, 2001.
-  J. Doshi, and D. H. Reneker, “Electrospinning process and applications of electrospun fibers,” J. of Electrostatics, 35, pp. 151-160 1995.
-  Y. M. Shin, M. M. Hohman, M. P. Brenner, and G. C. Rutledge, “Electrospinning: a whipping fluid jet generates submicron polymer fibers,” Appl. Phys. Letters, 2001, 78, pp. 1149-1151, 2001.
-  P. Gibson, H. Schreuder-Gibson, and D. Rivin, “Transport properties of porous membranes based on electrospun nanofibers,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 187-188, pp. 469-481, 2001.
-  J. M. Deitzel, J. Kleinmeyer, N. C. Harris, and N. C. Beck Tan, “The effect of processingvariables on the morphology of electrospun nanofibers and textiles,” Polymer, 42, pp. 261-272, 2001.
-  G.-J. Hwang, H. Ohya, and T. Nagai, “Ion exchange membrane based on block copolymers. Part III: preparation of cation exchange membrane,” J. Membr. Sci., 156, pp. 61-65, 1999.
-  Y. Yokoyama, M. Watanabe, S. Horikoshi, and H. Sato, “Sulfoacylated macro-porous polystyrene-diniylbenzene low-capacity cation exchanger selective for amino acids,” Analytical Sciences, 18, pp. 59-63, 2002.
-  M. M. Nasef, H. Saidi, H. M. Nor, and O. M. F. Ooi, “Cation exchange membranes by radiation-induced graft copolymerization of the sulfonated graft copolymer membranes,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 76, pp. 1-11, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.