Three-Dimensional Evaluation of Microscopic Wheel Surface Topography in Creep Feed Grinding Using Ceramics Grinding Wheel
Masakazu Fujimoto and Masashi Fujita
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kindai University
1 Takaya Umenobe, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
The surface topography of ceramic grinding wheels used in creep feed grinding is examined in this study. Creep feed grinding experiments are performed using seeded gel (SG) grinding wheels. The three-dimensional surface of the grinding wheel is observed using a two-dimensional high-definition laser displacement sensor, and the effective cutting-edge number is calculated based on three-dimensional surface observations. Microscopic wear behaviors of grain cutting edges are examined based on scanning electron microscope (SEM) images. The cutting-edge area percentage is calculated based on SEM images via the discriminant analysis method. Results show that the micro self-sharpening phenomenon can be evaluated quantitatively. Micro sharp cutting edges on grains and normal grinding forces are suppressed. Subsequently, the relationship between the grinding characteristics and behaviors of the SG wheel working surface is investigated.
-  J. Webster and M. Tricard, “Innovations in Abrasive Products for Precision Grinding,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.53, No.2, pp. 597-617, 2004.
-  K. Yamauchi, “Grinding performance of submicron crystal grain,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.48, No.6, pp. 295-298, 2008.
-  F. Kitamura and K. Gotanda, “High Performance Steel Grinding using SG Aluminum Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.58, No.4, pp. 583-585, 1992.
-  T. Matsuo, “On Recent High Efficiency and Heavy Grinding Technology,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.58, No.4, pp. 571-573, 1992.
-  T. Tawakoli, “High Efficiency Deep Grinding,” pp. 13-14, VDI-Verlag GmbH, 1990.
-  Z. Li, W. Ding, C. Liu, and H. Su, “Grinding performance and surface integrity of particulate-reinforced titanium matrix composites in creep-feed grinding,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.94, pp. 3917-3928, 2018.
-  V. K. Starkov, S. A. Ryabtsev, E. G. Polkanov, and O. S. Kiskin, “Comparative Analysis of Performance of Cubic Boron Nitride and Microcrystalline Alumina Tools in Profile Grinding,” J. Superhard Mater., Vol.36, No.1, pp. 59-67, 2014.
-  M. Fujimoto and K. Shimizu, “Microscopic Wear Characteristics of Ceramic Grinding Wheel in Creep Feed Grinding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 5-11, 2022.
-  M. Fujimoto and D. Goto, “Characterization of Ceramics Grinding Wheel Surface Topography in Creep Feed Grinding,” Proc. the 10th Int. Conf. LEM21, pp. 271-275, 2021.
-  T. Shonozaki and S. Ishiwata, “Exo-electron Emission from Abrasive Grain,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.39, No.11, pp. 1146-1150, 1973.
-  M. Fujimoto, S. Ohishi, and Y. Hiraizumi, “Wear Behavior of cBN Grain Cutting Edges in Deep Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.86, No.1, pp. 59-64, 2020.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, R. Sato, and Y. Morimoto, “Characterization of Wheel Surface Topography in cBN Grinding,” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 106-113, 2006.
-  S. Matsui, “Some Considerations on Successive Cutting Edge Spacing on Wheel Surface in Grinding Process,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.43, No.4, pp. 476-482, 1973.
-  N. Otsu, “An Automatic Threshold Selection Method Based on Discriminant and Least Squares Criteria,” IEICE Trans. Info. Syst., Vol.63, No.4, pp. 349-356, 1980.
-  M. Fujimoto and Y. Ichida, “Micro fracture behavior of cutting edges in grinding using single crystal cBN grains,” Dia. Relat. Mater., Vol.17, No.7, pp. 1759-1763, 2008.
-  Z. Liang, X. Wang, Y. Wu, L. Xie, Z. Liu, and W. Zhao, “An investigation on wear mechanism of resin-bonded diamond wheel in Elliptical Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (EUAG) of monocrystal sapphire,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.212, pp. 868-876, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.