Motion Analysis of Lathe Machining Work Using a Digital Position Display Device
Seiko Taki and Shohei Yonezawa
Chiba Institute of Technology
2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
The ocular movements of skilled and unskilled engine lathe operators were analyzed as a preliminary step in developing a method for supporting the transfer of skills in engine lathe machining. An attempt was made to elucidate the difference in skilled and unskilled workers operating a lathe with a digital position display device (digital readout display meter) that can display the machining status of the workpieces. The impact of the digital position display device was investigated by evaluating and comparing the quality of each production from the operations. In addition, because skillful estimation is necessary for most manufacturing tasks, the differences between the ranges of visual examination of workers were analyzed while a workpiece was being measured.
-  K. Thoben, S. Wiesner, and T. Wuest, “‘Industrie 4.0’ and Smart Manufacturing – A Review of Research Issues and Application Examples,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 4-16, 2017.
-  Y. Tamura, “Challenges by SMEs ‘Food Manufacturer’ in Establishing the Platform for a Smart Factory,” Food Processing and Ingredients, Vol.56, No.9, pp. 11-13, 2021 (in Japanese).
-  Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, “White Paper on Manufacturing Industries (Monodzukuri),” 2018 (in Japanese). http://www.meti.go.jp/report/whitepaper/mono/2018/honbun_pdf/pdf/honbun01_01_02.pdf [Accessed on November 25, 2021]
-  N. Nagato, J. Fujimoto, and T. Ikeda, “Image Processing and Recognition Technologies for Smart Factories,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.87, No.8, pp. 676-679, 2021 (in Japanese).
-  V. Azamfirei, A. Granlund, and Y. Lagrosen, “Multi-Layer Quality Inspection System Framework for Industry 4.0,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.15, No.5, pp. 641-650, 2021.
-  Y. Yamazaki, K. Shigematsu, J. Weng, F. Kojima, and S. Takata, “Method for the design of material handling systems for lean automation,” Trans. of the JSME (in Japanese), Vol.84, No.862, pp. 1-12, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  S. Taki, Y. Kajihara, and Y. Shirai, “A Study on Effect of Work Instruction Support Device for Equipment Maintenance and Inspection at Remote Sites,” Int. J. of Japan Association for Management Systems, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 71-77, 2017.
-  H. Kanamaru, “Safety and Security Issues in the Age of IoT – Toward Strengthening Japanese Industrial Competitiveness –: 2. Standard Activities of Functional Safety and Security,” IPSJ Magazine, Vol.58, No.11, pp. 966-971, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  D. Wu, M. J. Greer, D. W. Rosen, and D. Schaefer, “Cloud Manufacturing: Strategic Vision and State-of-the-art,” J. Manuf. Syst, Vol.32, No.4, pp. 564-579, 2013.
-  T. Matsumoto, S. Kubodera, K. Shida, and H. Matsukawa, “A Research on Two-Stage Production Line Building Problems for Processed Cheese Manufacturing,” J. of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.72, No.1, pp. 65-74, 2021 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sekiguchi, Y. Yating, Y. Kajihara, T. Mukai, K. Hirata, T. Hida, and M. Eguchi, “Development of RFID Positioning System Using Neural Network Model,” Asia-Pacific J. of Industrial Management, Vol.4, pp. 8-17, 2015.
-  Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, “White Paper on Manufacturing Industries (Monodzukuri),” 2019 (in Japanese). https://www.meti.go.jp/report/whitepaper/mono/2019/honbun_pdf/pdf/honbun_01_02_01.pdf [Accessed on November 25, 2021]
-  Y. Dong and Q. Zhu, “Measuring Workers’ Aptitudes for Cell Production Based on Japanese General Aptitude Test Battery Scores,” J. of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.71, No.2E, pp. 81-91, 2020.
-  S. Taki, Y. Kajihara, and A. Yamamoto, “Proposal for Evaluating Workers’ Work Characteristics – Case Study on Business Machinery Production Line –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 38-45, 2017.
-  Y. Yating, Y. Kajihara, S. Taki, and T. Shinzato, “Study of a Method to Evaluate Sorting Task Aptitude in the Process of Producing Food Products,” J. of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.67, No.3, pp. 241-251, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  S. Taki, Y. Kajihara, and M. Kumashiro (Eds.), “Development and Practical Use of Software for Work Burden Analysis,” Ergonomic Trends from the East, CRC Press, pp. 121-128, 2010.
-  K. Hiranai, A. Kuramoto, and A. Seo, “Detection of Anomalies in Working Posture during Obstacle Avoidance Tasks using One-Class Support Vector Machine,” J. of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.72, No.2E, pp. 125-133, 2021.
-  K. Izumi, Y. Kajihara, S. Taki, N. Ezawa, and T. Akashika, “A Support System for Tube Replacement Operation of a Heat Exchanger,” J. SOPE Japan, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 95-100, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yating, Y. Yamazaki, Y. Kajihara, T. Akashika, K. Izumi, and M. Jindai, “Development of a system for practical skill training of maintenance personnel,” Innovation and Supply Chain Management, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 83-88, 2015.
-  T. Sato, T. Kikuchi, and K. Takahashi, “Proposal and Trial of Vocational Training for Industrial Robot Technician Compatible with the Smart Factory,” J. of JSEE, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 75-80, 2020 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Watanabe, S. Taki, Y. Kajihara, T. Koshiishi, and H. Osaki, “A Support System for Transferring Manufacturing Skills,” Asia-Pacific J. of Industrial Management, Vol.4, pp. 84-94, 2013.
-  H. Osaki, “Scientific Analysis of Skilled Motion Using Three-Dimensional Coordinates and Tait-Bryan Angles,” J. of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.61, No.3E, pp. 173-179, 2010.
-  M. L. Mele and S. Federici, “Gaze and eye-tracking solutions for psychological research,” Cognitive Processing, Vol.13, pp. 261-265, 2012.
-  T. J. Andrews and D. M. Coppola, “Idiosyncratic characteristics of saccadic eye movements when viewing different visual environments,” Vision Research, Vol.39, pp. 2947-2953, 1999.
-  E. M. Reingold, H. Sheridan, S. P. Liversedge, L. Gilchrist, and S. Everling (Eds.), “Eye movements and visual expertise in chess and medicine,” The Oxford Handbook on Eye Movement, Oxford University Press, pp. 524-550, 2012.
-  H. Jarodzka, T. Balslev, K. Holmqvist, M. Nystrom, K. Scheiter, P. Gerjets, and B. Eika, “Conveying clinical reasoning based on visual observation via eye-movement model example,” Instructional Science, Vol.40, No.5, pp. 813-837, 2012.
-  T. Donovan and D. Litchfield, “Looking for Cancer: Expertise Related Differences in Searching and Decision Making,” Applied Cognitive Psychology, Vol.27, Issue 1, pp. 43-49, 2013.
-  J. Vora, S. Nair, A. K. Gramopadhye, A. T. Duchowski, B. J. Melloy, and B. Kanki, “Using virtual reality technology for aircraft visual inspection training: presence and comparison studies,” Applied Ergonomics, Vol.33, pp. 559-570, 2002.
-  J. Aust, D. Pons, and A. Mitrovic, “Evaluation of Influence Factors on the Visual Inspection Performance of Aircraft Engine Blades,” Aerospace, Vol.9, Issue 1, pp. 1-40, 2022.
-  Y. Takeo and W. Natsu, “Experimental Study on Gaze Point Movement in Size Measurement Skill With Micrometer for Skill Succession,” Trans. of the JSME (C), Vol.79, No.799, pp. 814-826, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Tomizawa, H. Aoki, S. Suzuki, T. Matayoshi, and R. Yozu, “Eye-tracking analysis of skilled performance in clinical extracorporeal circulation,” J. of Artificial Organs, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 146-157, 2012.
-  H. Aoki, S. Seki, H. Nishimagi, S. Suzuki, and M. Aoki, “Visual Perception Patterns in Clinical Reasoning Processes During Diagnosis of Infant Epilepsies – Comparisons of Eye Movement among Nurses and Students Considering their Expertise Levels –,” Ergonomics, Vol.55, No.5, pp. 200-211, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  K. Mori, “Technology/Skill Transfer Handbook,” JIPM Solutions, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  The Asahi Shimbun, “JAL computer glitch delays dozens of flights, disrupts services,” The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis, 2022-02-16. https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14550241 [Accessed on June 30, 2022]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.