Bipolar Electrostatic Driving of Isolated Micro-Resonator for Sensing High Voltage of Battery Output with Resolution
Naoki Nobunaga*, Shinya Kumagai**, and Minoru Sasaki*,
*Toyota Technological Institute
2-12-1 Hisakata, Tenpaku-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 468-8511, Japan
**Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan
Electrostatic Si resonator was applied to sense the voltage at the facing electrode in a highly isolated approach. The resonant frequency shifts under the effect of the electrical field from the facing electrode connected to the high voltage (corresponding to the battery). Here, two resonators are fabricated. The electrical isolation was obtained by driving the resonators to be floated electrically. The charging of the resonator causes the fluctuation of the driving performance, degrading the sensing resolution. The driving voltage was set to be bipolar to avoid the fluctuation. This novel method stabilizes the resonant frequency realizing 0.25 V accuracy against 80 V. Feasibility for measuring the voltage up to 420 V is demonstrated.
-  R. Abe, H. Taoka, and D. McQuilkin, “Digital grid: Communicative electrical grids of the future,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 399-410, 2011.
-  S. B. Lee, C. Pathak, V. Ramadesigan, W. Gao, and V. R. Subramaniana, “Direct, Efficient, and Real-Time Simulation of Physics-Based Battery Models for Stand-Alone PV-Battery Microgrids,” J. Electrochemical Society, Vol.164, No.11, pp. E3026-E3034, 2017.
-  O. V. Nugroho, N. F. Pramono, M. P. Hanafi, F. Husnayain, and A. R. Utomo, “Techno-economic analysis of hybrid Diesel-PV-Battery system and hybrid Diesel-PV-Wind-Battery system in Eastern Indonesia,” IOP Conf. Series: Earth Environmental Science, Vol.599, 012031, 2020.
-  A. S. Siva, P. Parthasarathy, K. Gijipriya, N. Vinothini, and A. A. Stonier, “Anticipation of Battery Condition Using Internet of Things,” IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol.1055, 012157, 2021.
-  Y. C. Chen, W. H. Hsu, S. H. Cheng, and Y. T. Cheng, “A Power Sensor Tag with Interference Reduction for Electricity Monitoring of Two-Wire Household Appliances,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.61, No.4, pp. 2062-2070, 2014.
-  I. Shibasaki, “Thin film Hall element widely used in daily life,” Oyo Butsuri, Vol.90, No.1, pp. 36-41, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ishibashi, I. Okada, and I. Shibasaki, “High-Sensitivity Hybrid Hall Effect ICs with Thin Film Hall Elements,” Sensors Materials, Vol.14, No.5, pp. 253-261, 2002.
-  M. Higaki and S. Yamaguchi, “Optical DC Voltage Measurement Based on AC Voltage Modulation of Elliptically Polarized Light Using BGO Crystals,” Trans. Inst. Elect. Eng. Japan B, Vol.117, No.5, pp. 634-640, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  J. C. Santos, M. C. Taplamacioglu, and K. Hidaka, “Optical high voltage measurement using Pockels microsingle crystal,” Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol.70, No.8, pp. 3271-3276, 1999.
-  F. Pan, X. Xiao, Y. Xu, and S. Ren, “An Optical AC Voltage Sensor Based on the Transverse Pockels Effect,” Sensors, Vol.11, No.7, pp. 6593-6602, 2011.
-  S. J. Sawa, “A MEMS-based, high-resolution Electric-Field meter,” Master’s thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005.
-  C. Peng, P. Yang, H. Zhang, X. Guo, and S. Xia, “Design of a SOI MEMS resonant electric field sensor for power engineering applications,” Proc. IEEE Sensors. Conf., pp. 1183-1186, 2010.
-  X. Wen, P. Yang, Z. Chu, C. Peng, Y. Liu, and S. Wu, “MEMS-based electric field sensor with environmental adaptability consideration and its application in the near-ground atmosphere,” J. Phys. Conf. Series, Vol.1775, 012003, 2021.
-  N. Nobunaga, S. Kumagai, H. Ishihara, M. Ishii, and M. Sasaki, “Bipolar Electrostatic Driving for High-Resolution Isolated Battery Voltage Sensor,” Proc. 30th Int. Conf. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, T128, pp. 849-852, 2017.
-  Y. Wada, N. Nobunaga, S. Kumagai, H. Ishihara, M. Ishii, and M. Sasaki, “MEMS Resonator Based Insulated Voltage Sensor Withstanding Higher Voltage,” Electrical Engineering in Japan, Vol.203, No.1, pp. 58-64 (Wiley Translated Paper), 2018.
-  N. Nobunaga, S. Kumagai, K. Masuno, H. Ishihara, M. Ishii, and M. Sasaki, “Isolated Voltage Sensor Using Ring Resonator for Battery Power Management,” Proc. 20th Int. Conf. Solid-State Sensors, Actuators Microsystems, W3P.055, pp. 1475-1478, 2019.
-  Y. He, J. Marchetti, C. Gallegos, and F. Maseeh, “Accurate Fully-Coupled Natural Frequency Shift of MEMS Actuators Due to Voltage Bias and Other External Forces,” Proc. 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 321-325, 1999.
-  H. Sugai and K. Ooe, “Plasma Electronics,” Ohmsha, 2001 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.