Microscopic Wear Characteristics of Ceramic Grinding Wheel in Creep Feed Grinding
Masakazu Fujimoto*, and Keisuke Shimizu**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kindai University
1 Takaya Umenobe, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
**Aoyama Gakuin University, Sagamihara, Japan
This paper deals with the microscopic wear characteristics of ceramic (Seeded Gel, SG) grinding wheels used in creep feed grinding. Creep feed grinding experiments with SG grinding wheels were carried out compared to rose-pink alumina (RA) grinding wheels. To clear the wear characteristics of the wheel working surface in creep feed grinding, changes in the shapes of grain cutting edges were observed by a field emission-scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM). This is a self-sharpening phenomenon based on micro fractures generated on the top of SG grain cutting edges. On the other hand, large fracture and attritious wear effected RA grain cutting edges. In addition, the features of any grain cutting edges were evaluated using attritious wear flat percentage. Changes in attritious wear flat percentage of SG grits maintained constant value and were stable. From these results, the influence of wear mode of the grinding wheel on grinding characteristics parameter, such as grinding force and workpiece surface roughness, is understood.
-  J. Webster and M. Tricard, “Innovations in Abrasive Products for Precision Grinding,” Ann. CIRP, Vol.53, No.2, pp. 597-617, 2004.
-  K. Yamauchi, “Grinding performance of submicron crystal grain,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.48, No.6, pp. 295-298, 2008.
-  F. Kitamura and K. Gotanda, “High Performance Steel Grinding using SG Aluminum Wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.58, No.4, pp. 583-585, 1992.
-  T. Matsuo, “On Recent High Efficiency and Heavy Grinding Technology,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.58, No.4, pp. 571-573, 1992.
-  T. Tawakoli, “High Efficiency Deep Grinding,” VDI-Verleg GmbH, pp. 13-14, 1990.
-  S. Shiozaki, Y. Furukawa, and S. Ohishi, “Difference in Grinding Mechanism between Up- and Down-cut Creep Feed Grindings,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.45, No.5, pp. 599-606, 1979.
-  S. Ohishi, Y. Furukawa, and S. Shiozaki, “On the Selection of Grinding Condition to Avoid Workpiece Burning in Creep Feed Grinding,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.46, No.4, pp. 402-409, 1980.
-  C. Heinzel and G. Antsupov, “Prevention of wheel clogging in creep feed grinding by efficient tool cleaning,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.61, pp. 323-326, 2012.
-  A. Cameron, R. Bauer, and A. Warkentin, “An investigation of the effects of wheel-cleaning parameters in creep-feed grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.50, pp. 126-130, 2010.
-  J. Shibata, I. Inasaki, and S. Yonetsu, “Characteristics of the Grinding Force and its Distribution at the Area of Contact between the Grinding Wheel and the Workpiece – Study on High-depth-of-cut Grinding (1st Report) –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.46, No.4, pp. 395-401, 1980.
-  A. D. Batako, W. B. Rowe, and M. N. Morgan, “Temperature measurement in high efficiency deep grinding,” Int. J. Mach. Tools and Manuf., Vol.45, pp. 1231-1245, 2005.
-  M. Suzuki and I. Inasaki, “Surface Topography Measurement of Super Abrasive Wheel,” J. Jpn, Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.61, No.585, pp. 2003-2009, 1995.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Surface Topography of Mini-Size Diamond Wheel in Ultrasonic Assisted Grinding (UAG),” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 569-575, 2014.
-  S. Habu, Y. Ichida, H. Kajino, and M. Sato, “Wear Characteristics and Grinding Performance of Vitrified Diamond Grinding Wheels,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.54, No.3, pp. 157-163, 2010.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Ichida, and Y. Inoue, “Microscopic Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edges in cBN Grinding,” Proc. the 5th Int. Conf. LEM21, pp. 541-546, 2009.
-  M. Fujimoto, S. Ohishi, R. Hinaga, and Y. Kubo, “Wheel Working Surface Topography and Grinding Force Distributions in Creep Feed Grinding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.2, pp. 223-229, 2018.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Hiraizumi, K. Hirata, and S. Ohishi, “Grinding Energy Distributions and Wear Behavior of Grain Cutting Edges in cBN Deep Grinding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 59-65, 2020.
-  Z. Li, W. Ding, C. Liu, and H. Su, “Grinding performance and surface integrity of particulate-reinforced titanium matrix composites in creep-feed grinding,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol.94, pp. 3917-3928, 2018.
-  T. Shonozaki and S. Ishiwata, “Exo-electron Emission from Abrasive Grain,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.39, No.11, pp. 1146-1150, 1973.
-  Sunarto and Y. Ichida, “Creep feed profile grinding of Ni-based superalloys with ultrafine-polycrystalline cBN abrasive grits,” Prec. Eng., Vol.25, pp. 274-283, 2001.
-  S. Malkin and C. Guo, “Grinding Technology Theory and Applications of Machining with Abrasives 2nd Edition,” Ind. Press, p. 44, 2016.
-  M. Fujimoto and Y. Ichida, “Micro fracture behavior of cutting edges in grinding using single crystal cBN grains,” Dia. Relat. Mater., Vol.17, No.7, pp. 1759-1763, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.