Identification Method of Error Motions and Geometric Errors of a Rotary Axis by R-Test
Takaaki Kenno*, Ryuta Sato*,, Keiichi Shirase*, Shigemasa Natsume**, and Henny Spaan***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University
1-1 Rokko-dai, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
**P&C Ltd., Yokohama, Japan
***IBS Precision Engineering BV, Eindhoven, Netherlands
While evaluating the accuracy of high-precision machine tools, it is critical to reduce the error factors contributing to the measured results as much as possible. This study aims to evaluate both the error motions and geometric errors of the rotary axis without considering the influence of motion error of the linear axis. In this study, only the rotary axis is moved considering two different settings of a reference sphere, and the linear axes are not moved. The motion accuracy of the rotary axis is measured using the R-test device, both the error motions and geometric errors of the rotary axis are identified from the measurement results. Moreover, the identified geometric errors are verified for correctness via measurement with an intentional angular error. The results clarify that the proposed method can identify the error motions and geometric errors of a rotary axis correctly. The method proposed in this study can thus be effective for evaluating the motion accuracy of the rotary axis and can contribute to further improvement of the accuracy of the rotary table.
-  ISO 230-1, “Test Code for Machine Tools – Part 1: Geometric Accuracy of Machines Operating under No-load or Quasi-static Conditions,” 2012.
-  ISO 230-7, “The Code for Machine Tools – Part 7: Geometric Accuracy of Axes of Rotation,” 2015.
-  I. Kurić, M. Košinár, and M. Císař, “Measurement and Analysis of CNC Machine Tool Accuracy in Different Location on Work Table,” Proc. in Manufacturing Systems, Vol.7, pp. 259-264, 2012.
-  ISO 230-4, “Test Code for Machine Tools – Part 4: Circular Tests for Numerically Controlled Machine Tools,” 2005.
-  M. Tsutsumi and A. Saito, “Identification and Compensation of Systematic Deviations Particular to 5-axis Machining Centres,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.43, Issue 8, pp. 771-780, 2013.
-  M. Tsutsumi and A. Saito, “Identification of Angular and Positional Deviations to 5-axis Machining Centres with a Tilting-rotary Table by Four-axis Controlled Movements,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.44, Issue 12, pp. 1333-1342, 2014.
-  M. Tsutsumi, S. Tone, N. Kato, and R. Sato, “Enhancement of Geometric Accuracy of Five-axis Machining Centers Based on Identification and Compensation of Geometric Deviations,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.68, pp. 11-20, 2013.
-  NAS 979, “Uniform Cutting Tests – Metal Cutting Equipment Specifications,” Aerospace Industries Association of America, pp. 34-37, 1969.
-  N. Kato, M. Tsutsumi, and R. Sato, “Analysis of Circular Trajectory Equivalent to Cone-frustum Milling in Five-axis Machining Centers,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.64, pp. 1-11, 2013.
-  Y. Ihara, K. Tsuji, and T. Tajima, “Ball bar Measurement of Motion Accuracy in Simulation Cone Frustum Cutting on Multi-axis Machine Tools,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 197-205, 2017.
-  ISO 10791-6, “Machine tools – Test conditions for machining centres – Part 6: Accuracy of speeds and interpolations,” 2014.
-  S. Weikert, “R-test, a New Device for Accuracy Measurements on Five Axis Machine Tools,” CIRP Ann.-Manuf. Technol., Vol.53, Issue 1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  IBS Precision Engineering BV. http://www.ibspe.com [Accessed September 14, 2019].
-  Fidia.S.p.A. http://www.fidia.it [Accessed September 14, 2019].
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based ‘Chase-the ball’ Calibration of a 5-axes Machining Center,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, Issue 1, pp. 531-534, 2006.
-  C. Hong, S. Ibaraki, and A. Matsubara, “Influence of Position-dependent Geometric Errors of Rotary Axes on a Machining Test Cone Frustum by Five-axis Machine Tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.35, Issue 1, pp. 1-11, 2011.
-  L. Zhong, Q. Bi, and Y. Wang, “Volumetric Accuracy Evaluation for Five-axis Machine Tools by Modeling Spherical Deviation Based on Double Ball-bar Kinematic Test,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.122, pp. 106-119, 2017.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Machine Tool Calibration: Geometric Test Uncertainty Depends on Machine Tool Performance,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, Issue 4, pp. 524-529, 2009.
-  M. Yamaji, N. Hamabata, and Y. Ihara, “Evaluation of Linear Axis Motion Error of Machine Tools Using an R-test Device,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.14, pp. 311-316, 2014.
-  G. H. J. Florussen, H. A. M. Spaan, and T. M. Spaan-Burke, “Verifying the Accuracy of Five-axis Machine Tool Focused on Kinematic ISO Tests Using a Torus-Shaped Test Work Piece,” Procedia Manufacturing, Vol.14, pp. 58-65, 2017.
-  S. Ibaraki, C. Oyama, and H. Otsubo, “Construction of an Error Map of Rotary Axes on a Five-axis Machining Center by Static R-test,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, Issue 3, pp. 190-200, 2011.