Dynamic Interaction Between Precision Machine Tools and Their Foundations
Bernd W. Peukert and Andreas Archenti
Manufacturing and Metrology Systems Division, Department of Production Engineering, KTH Royal Institute of Technology
68 Brinellvägen, Stockholm 10044, Sweden
The manufacturing accuracy of modern machine tools strongly depends on the placement of the machine tool structure on the factory’s foundation. Civil engineering knows a variety of foundation types and factory planners must carefully consider local circumstances such as the size and the properties of the regional subsoil as well as the individual requirements of machine tools. Two of the major reasons for the effect of the foundation onto the machining accuracy are the added stiffness and the increased mass from the installation site’s foundation. A change of these characteristics greatly affects the dynamic characteristics of the overall machine tool and therefore also the machining dynamics. Although some general rules and guidelines exist for the design of foundations, their dynamic interaction with the supported precision machine tool structures is not well understood yet. This paper presents a series of measurements on two different types of machine tool foundations and highlights the characteristic differences in their dynamic interaction. It also proposes a novel approach to validate the conclusions with the use of foundation and machine tool scale models. These results can serve factory planners of precision targeting shop floors as a valuable guide for deciding on a suitable foundation for lowering the individual machine tool vibrations and/or reducing the dynamic interaction between closely located machine tools.
-  O. Matsushita, M. Tanaka, H. Kanki, M. Kobayashi, and P. Keogh, “Introduction of Rotordynamics,” O. Matsushita, M. Tanaka, H. Kanki, M. Kobayashi, and P. Keogh (Eds.), “Vibrations of Rotating Machinery: Volume 1. Basic Rotordynamics: Introduction to Practical Vibration Analysis,” Springer, pp. 1-12, 2017.
-  Y. Tian, Q. Shu, Z. Liu, and Y. Ji, “Vibration Characteristics of Heavy-Duty CNC Machine Tool-Foundation Systems,” Shock Vib., Vol.2018, pp. 1-12, 2018.
-  E. Uhlmann et al., “Sustainable solutions for machine tools,” R. Stark, G. Seliger, and J. Bonvoisin (Eds.), “Sustainable Manufacturing,” Springer, pp. 47-69, 2017.
-  C. Brecher and M. Weck, “Werkzeugmaschinen Fertigungssysteme 2: Konstruktion, Berechnung und messtechnische Beurteilung,” Springer Vieweg, 2017.
-  W. E. Bill Forsthoffer, “Pipe stress and soft foot effects on component failure,” “Forsthoffer’s Rotating Equipment Handbooks,” Vol.5, Elsevier, pp. 421-439, 2005.
-  D. Yi, Y. Ning, Y. Tian, and Z. F. Liu, “Study on Dynamic Characters of Interaction Effect of Precision Machine Tool-Box Foundation-Soil,” Appl. Mech. Mater., Vol.496-500, pp. 1088-1091, 2014.
-  P. Srinivasulu and C. V. Vaidyanathan, “Handbook of Machine Foundations,” McGraw-Hill, 1976.
-  D. Weiner, “Maskinfundament: Nya synpunkter på konstruktion av massiva fundament,” Statens råd för byggnadsforskning, 1982.
-  E. I. Rivin, “Vibration isolation of precision equipment,” Precis. Eng., Vol.17, No.1, pp. 41-56, 1995.
-  C. Collette, S. Janssens, K. Artoos, and C. Hauviller, “Active vibration isolation of high precision machines,” Diam. Light Source Proc., Vol.1, No.MEDSI-6, e1, 2010.
-  T. van der Poel, “An exploration of active hard mount vibration isolation for precision equipment,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Twente, 2010.
-  D. Ulgen, O. L. Ertugrul, and M. Y. Ozkan, “Measurement of ground borne vibrations for foundation design and vibration isolation of a high-precision instrument,” Measurement, Vol.93, pp. 385-396, 2016.
-  K. G. Bhatia, “Foundations for Industrial Machines: Handbook for Practising Engineers,” CRC Press, 2008.
-  J. H. A. Crockett and R. E. R. Hammond, “The Dynamic Principles of Machine Foundations and Ground,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Vol.160, No.1, pp. 512-531, 1949.
-  Y. Tian et al., “Systematic review of research relating to heavy-duty machine tool foundation systems,” Adv. Mech. Eng., Vol.11, No.1, 168781401880610, 2019.
-  A. H. Nayfeh and S. J. Serhan, “Vertical Vibration of Machine Foundations,” J. Geotech. Eng., Vol.115, No.1, pp. 56-74, 1989.
-  D. D. Barkan, “Vertical vibrations of Foundations,” G. P. Tschebotarioff (Ed.), “Dynamics of Bases and Foundations,” McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1962.
-  W. Ritz, “Theorie der Transversalschwingungen einer quadratischen Platte mit freien Rädern,” Ann. Phys., Vol.333, No.4, pp. 737-786, 1909.
-  W. Weaver Jr., S. P. Timoshenko, and D. H. Young, “Vibration Problems in Engineering,” Wiley, 1990.
-  D. J. Ewins, “Modal testing: Theory, Practice and Application,” 2nd ed., Research Studies Press Limited, 2000.
-  C. W. de Silva, “Vibration and Shock Handbook,” Taylor and Francis, 2005.
-  J. M. M. Silva and N. M. M. Maia, “Modal analysis and testing,” Springer, 1999.
-  D. J. Ewins, “Basics and state-of-the-art of modal testing,” Sadhana – Acad. Proc. Eng. Sci., Vol.25, No.3, pp. 207-220, 2000.
-  P. Avitabile, “Modal testing: a practitioner’s guide,” John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2018.
-  R. Brincker and C. Ventura, “Introduction to operational modal analysis,” John Wiley and Sons Limited, 2015.
-  A. S. Morris and R. Langari, “Measurement and instrumentation – Theory and Application,” Elsevier, 2012.
-  A. Norén and O. Wahlquist, “Measuring and Modeling of the Dynamic Interaction between Machine and Foundation,” KTH Royal Institute of Technology, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.