Machining Tests to Evaluate Machine Tool Thermal Displacement in Z-Direction: Proposal to ISO 10791-10
Soichi Ibaraki and Rin Okumura
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Hiroshima University
1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8511, Japan
Thermal deformation is one of the contributors of critical errors of machine tools. ISO 10791-10 describes standardized tests to evaluate a machine tool’s thermal deformation; however, they do not include cutting operations. By repeatedly performing the same machining feature, one can observe the change in geometric accuracy, which is typically caused by the thermal influence of the environment or the heat generated by the machine tool. This paper proposes a simple machining test to evaluate a machine tool’s thermal displacement in the tool’s axial direction (Z-direction). Together with a technical committee of the Japan Machine Tool Builders’ Association, the authors proposed the revision of ISO 10791-10 in ISO/TC39/SC2 to add the present machining tests. This paper presents the test procedures and case studies as well as a comparison with an alternative machining test.
-  J. Mayr, J. Jedrzejewski, E. Uhlmann, A. Donmez, W. Knapp, F. Härtig, K. Wendt, T. Moriwaki, P. Shore, R. Schmitt, C. Brecher, T. Würz, and K. Wegener, “Thermal issues in machine tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  M. Weck, P. McKeown, R. Bonse, and U. Herbst, “Reduction and Compensation of Thermal Errors in Machine Tools,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 589-598, 1995.
-  J. Bryan, “International Status of Thermal Error Research,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 645-656, 1990.
-  ISO 230-3:2007, “Test code for machine tools – Part 3: Determination of thermal effects,” 2007.
-  ISO 10791-10:2007, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 10: Evaluation of thermal distortions,” 2007.
-  ISO 10791-7:2015, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 7: Accuracy of a finished test piece,” 2015.
-  ISO 26303:2012, “Machine tools – Short-term capability evaluation of machining processes on metal-cutting machine tools,” 2012.
-  S. Ibaraki and W. Knapp, “Indirect Measurement of Volumetric Accuracy for Three-axis and Five-axis Machine Tools: A Review,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 110-124, 2012.
-  M. Wiessner, P. Blaser, S. Böhl, J. Mayr, W. Knapp, and K. Wegener, “Thermal test piece for 5-axis machine tools,” Precision Engineering, Vol.52, pp. 407-417, 2018.
-  S. Ibaraki and Y. Ota, “A machining test to calibrate rotary axis error motions of five-axis machine tools and its application to thermal deformation test,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.86, pp. 81-88, 2014.
-  S. Ibaraki, S. Tsujimoto, Y. Nagai, Y. Sakai, S. Morimoto, and Y. Miyazaki, “A pyramid-shaped machining test to identify rotary axis error motions on five-axis machine tools: Software development and a case study,” Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.94, No.1, pp. 227-237, 2018.
-  ISO/WD 10791-10:2019, “Test conditions for machining centres – Part 10: Evaluation of thermal distortions,” 2019.
-  ISO/CD 230-10:2019, “Test code for machine tools – Part 10: Determination of the measuring performance of probing systems of numerically controlled machine tools,” 2019.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.