Potential and Challenges of Diamond Wafer Toward Power Electronics
Kwansei Gakuin University
2-1 Gakuen, Sanda, Hyogo 663-1337, Japan
To achieve a 50% worldwide reduction of CO2 by the middle of this century, development of energy saving power device technology using wide bandgap materials is urgently needed. Diamond is receiving increasing attention as a next generation material for wide bandgap semiconductors owing to its extreme characteristics. Research studies investigating large wafers, low resistivity, and low dislocation have accelerated. This study targets the use of wafers for power electronics applications, and the required machining technologies for diamond, including wafer shaping, slicing, and surface finishing, are introduced.
-  http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/ [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://www.iea.org/newsroom/news/2016/november/world-energy-outlook-2016.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/news/2012/0927-b.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/news/2015/0622-a.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://www.fujielectric.co.jp/about/news/detail/2015/20150625160012422.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/2656842 [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  A. Q. Huang, “New Unipolar Switching Power Device Figures of Merit,” IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol.25, Issue 5, pp. 298-301, 2004.
-  S. J. Rashid et al., “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Single Crystal Diamond Schottky Barrier Diodes,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices, 2005.
-  W. Saito, I. Omura, T. Ogura, and H. Ohashi, “Theoretical Limit Estimation of Lateral Wide Band-Gap Semiconductor Power-Switching Device,” Solid State Electronics, Vol.48, pp. 1555-1562, 2004.
-  “CVD Diamond-Research, Applications, and Challenges,” MRS Bulletin, Vol.39, Issue 6, 2014.
-  M. Schreck, J. Asmussen, S. Shikata, J. C. Arnault, and N. Fujimori, “Large-Area High-Quality Single Crystal Diamond,” MRS Bulletin, Vol.39, Issue 6, pp. 504-510, 2014.
-  S. Yamasaki, E. Gheeraert, and Y. Koide, “Doping and Interface of Homoepitaxial Diamond for Electronic Applications,” MRS Bulletin, Vol.39, Issue 6, pp. 499-503, 2014.
-  http://www.nedo.go.jp/library/seika/shosai_201308/20120000001001.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  S. Shikata, “Recent R&D toward diamond power switching device,” Oyobuturi, Vol.82, No.201, pp. 299-304, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  S. Shikata and H. Umezawa, “Development of Diamond-Based Power Devices,” Synthesiology, Vol.6, No.3, pp.152-161.
-  S. Shikata, “Single Crystal Diamond Wafer for High Power Electronics,” Diamond and Related Materials, Vol.65, pp. 168-175, 2016.
-  http://www.nedo.go.jp/news/press/AA5_100316.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  http://www.nedo.go.jp/activities/ZZJP_100090.html [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  https://www.greendiamond-project.eu/ [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  https://arpa-e.energy.gov/?q=slick-sheet-project/diamond-power-transistors [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  https://arpa-e.energy.gov/?q=slick-sheet-project/diamond-semiconductor-devices [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  V. D. Blank, V. S. Bormashov, S. A. Tarelkina, S. G. Buga, M. S. Kuznetsov, D. V. Teteruk, N. V. Kornilov, S. A. Terentiev, and A. P. Volkov, “Power High-Voltage and Fast Response Schottky Barrier Diamond Diodes,” Diamond and Related Materials, Vol.57, pp. 32-36, 2015.
-  V. Masteika, J. Kowal, N. St. J. Braithwaite, and T. Rogers, “A Review of Hydrophilic Silicon Wafer Bonding,” ECS J. Sol. State Sci and Technol., Vol.3, No.4, pp. 42-54, 2014.
-  http://dtiinside.com/ [accessed February 10, 2018]
-  D. A. Axinte, D. S. Srinivasu, M. C. Kong, and P. W. Butler-Smith, “Abrasive Waterjet Cutting of Polycrystalline Diamond: A Preliminary Investigation,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, Issue 10, pp. 797-803, 2009.
-  H. Hidai, N. Saito, S. Matsusaka, A. Chiba, and N. Morita, “Deep Drilling in Silica Glass by Continuous-Wave Laser-Backside Irradiation,” Appl. Phys. A, Vol.122, No.4, pp. 1-9, 2016.
-  J. Yan, K. Watanabe, and T. Aoyama, “Micro-Electrical Discharge Machining of Polycrystalline Diamond Using Rotary Cupronickel Electrode,” CIPR Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol.63, Issue 1, pp. 209-212, 2014.
-  M. Touge, “Development of the Local Polishing Technique in the Solution Environment,” Conf. of the Japan society for precision engineering, Proc., p. 671, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  S. Fujii, K. Higaki, Y. Nishibayashi, and S. Shikata, “Method of planarization and polishing of diamond,” Japanese Published Unexamined Patent Application, 1995-041388, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kurokawa, T. Doi, C. Wang, Y. Sano, H. Aida, K. Oyama, and K. Takahashi, “Approach to High Efficient CMP for Power Device Substrates,” ECS Trans., Vol.60, Issue 1, pp. 641-646, 2014.
-  Y. Mori and K. Yamauchi, “Method of unstrained precise machining by radical reaction,” Japanese Patent 2521127, May 17, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Sano, T. Doi, S. Kurokawa, H. Aida, O. Ohnishi, M. Uneda, Y. Okada, H. Nishikawa, and K. Yamauchi, “Basic Study on Etching Selectivity of Plasma Chemical Vaporization Machining by Introducing Crystallographic Damage into Work Surface,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.625, pp. 550-553, 2015.
-  T. Yatsui, T. Tsuboi, M. Yamaguchi, K. Nobusada, S. Tojo, F. Stehlin, O. Soppera, and D. Bloch, “Optically Controlled Magnetic-Field Etching on the Nano-Scale,” Light: Science & Applications, Vol.5, e16054, 2016.
-  M. Touge, S. Anan, S. Wada, A. Kubota, Y. Nakanishi, and J. Watanabe, “Atomic-Scale Planarization of Single Crystal Diamond Substrates by Ultraviolet Rays Assisted Machining,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol.447-448, pp. 66-70, 2010.
-  Y. Kato, H. Umezawa, S. Shikata, and M. Touge, “Effect of an Ultraflat Substrate on the Epitaxial Growth of Chemical Vapor Deposited Diamond,” Applied Physics Express, Vol.6, No.2, 025506, 2013.