A Study of Mechanism of Bi-Directional Measurement Influenced by Material on Dimensional Measurement Using X-Ray CT
Kazuya Matsuzaki†, Osamu Sato, Hiroyuki Fujimoto, Makoto Abe, and Toshiyuki Takatsuji
National Metrology Institute of Japan (NMIJ), National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8560, Japan
X-ray computed tomography systems (X-ray CT) designed for metrological use are frequently used in the manufacturing industry. This is because X-ray CT is able to measure not only outer geometry but also inner geometry nondestructively and relatively quickly. However, X-ray CT in the state of the art is not always able to demonstrate its measurement performance and traceability to SI. One of problems is that it is hard to evaluate error sources unique to X-ray CT, such as scattering and beam hardening, called as “material influence.” The hypothesis to the mechanism of Bi-directional length measurement error from the material influence is proposed. The hypothesis is that Bi-directional length measurement error is mainly caused by the form measurement error of a small feature on the gauge. The form measurement error of a small feature on the gauge is dominantly influenced by beam hardening. The hypothesis is validated through actual experiments and simulations. The results of the experiments and corresponding simulations lead us to the conclusion that the magnitude of the form measurement error of a small feature on a rotational asymmetric gauge is clearly correlated with a location of the small feature on the gauge.
-  J. P. Kruth, M. Bartscher, S. Camingnato, R. Schmitt, L. De. Chiffre, and A. Weckenmann, “Computed tomography for dimensional metrology,” CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol., Vol.60, pp. 821-842, 2011.
-  M. Bartscher, O. Sato, F. Hartig, and U. Neuschaefer-Rube, “Current state of standardization in the field of dimensional computed tomography,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.25, No.6, 064013, 2014.
-  K. Matsuzaki, O. Sato, H. Fujimoto, M. Abe, and T. Takatsuji, “Comparison of accuracy verification method for X-ray CT,” Proc. 38th MATADOR Conf., pp. 448-452, 2015.
-  ISO 10360-2:2009, Geometrical product specifications (GPS) – Acceptance and reverification test for coordinate measuring machines (CMS) – Part 2: CMMs used for measuring linear dimensions.
-  ISO 10360-8:2013, Geometrical product specifications (GPS) – Acceptance and reverification tests for coordinate measuring systems (CMS) – Part 8: CMMs with optical distance sensors.
-  Y. Tan, K. Kiekens, F. Welkenhuyzen, J. P. Kruth, and W. Dewulf, “Beam hardening correction and its influence on the measurement accuracy and repeatability for CT dimensional metrology applications,” NDT, iCT12, 2012.
-  Y. Kyriakou and W. A. Kalender, “X-ray scatter data for flat-panel detector CT,” Physica Medica, Vol.23, Issue 1, pp. 3-15, 2007.
-  J. Schlecht, E. Ferley, S. Coughlin, S. D. Phillips, V. D. Lee, and C. M. Shakaraji, “Evaluating CT for Metrology: The Influence of Material Thickness on Measurements,” Proc. 11th European Conf. on Non-Destructive Testing, Prague, Czech Republic, 2014.
-  H. Villarraga, E. Morse, R. Hocken, and S. Smith, “A study on material influences in dimensional computed tomography,” Proc. – ASPE 2014 annual meeting, pp. 67-72, 2014.
-  M. Bartscher, “ISO Test Survey on Material Influence in Dimensional Computed Tomography,” Proc. of 6th Conf. on Industrial Computed Tomography, 2016.
-  M. Bartscher, J. Illemann, and U. Neuschaefer-Rube, “ISO test survey on material influence in dimensional computed tomography,” Case Stud Nondestruct Test Eval, 2016.
-  H. Fujimoto, M. Abe, S. Osawa, O. Sato, and T. Takatsuji, “Development of Dimensional X-ray Computed Tomography,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 567-571, 2015.
-  C. Bellon, A. Deresch, C. Gollwitzer, and G. R. Jaenisch, “Radiographic Simulator aRTist: Version 2,” Proc. 18th WCNDT, Durban, 2012.
-  C. Bellon and G. R. Jaenisch, “aRTist – Analytical RT Inspection Simulation Tool,” Proc. DIR 2007, Lyon, 2007.
-  C. Bellon, A. Deresch, and G. R. Jaenisch, “Radiography Simulation with aRTist – Combining Analytical Monte Carlo Method,” Proc. DIR 2015, Ghent, 2015.
-  https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm [accessed December 7, 2016]