Three-Fingered Gripper with Flexure Hinges Actuated by Shape Memory Alloy Wires
Daniela Maffiodo† and Terenziano Raparelli
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, Torino 10129, Italy
A three-fingered gripper with flexure hinges actuated by shape memory alloy (SMA) wires was designed and prototyped. The aim of the work was the manipulation of small, almost cylindrical objects, e.g. test tubes, by a device having small overall dimensions. A parametric study of four different, but similar, fingers was conducted with the aim of obtaining a solution with a good amplification ratio and a gripping force almost constant during closure. The use of flexure hinges simplifies the design, but limits the finger range of motion. Moreover, it was possible to find a configuration with sufficient work space. Once the finger geometry was defined, the whole hand was then designed with the aim of producing a compact hand contained in a cylindrical volume (φ 65×h 65 mm), and the first prototype was built. Preliminary tests demonstrated its good dimensioning and the success of some technological solutions. The experimental transmission ratio was almost the same as the theoretical one. Some drawbacks have been highlighted, such as a reduced range of motion and incomplete backstroke; future studies will deal with them.
-  S. Hirose, K. Ikuta, and Y. Umetani, “A New Design Method of Servo-actuators Based on the Shape Memory Effect,” in A. Morecki, G. Bianchi & K.Kedzior (Eds), Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 339-349, 1985.
-  J. Sakurai and S. Hata, “Characteristics of Ti-Ni-Zr Thin Film Metallic Glasses/Thin Film Shape Memory Alloys for Micro Actuators with Three-Dimensional Structures,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 662-667, 2015. (doi: 10.20965/ijat.2015.p06622)
-  M. E. Rosheim, “Robot Evolution: The Development of Anthrobotics,” John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1994.
-  I. Mihalcz, E. I. Zudor, V. Csibi, and P. Baranyi, “A biomechanic robot hand using SMA,” Tenth World Con. on Theory of Mach. and Mechanisms, Oulu, Finland, pp. 1835-1840, June 1999.
-  R. G. Gilbertson, “Muscle Wires Project Book,” Third Ed., Mondo-tronics, Inc., California, 1994.
-  K. De Laurentis and C. Mavroidis, “Mechanical Design of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Prosthetic Hand,” Technology and Health Care, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 91-106, 2002.
-  A. D. Price, A. Jnifene, and H. E. Naguib, “Design and control of a shape memory alloy based dexterous robot hand,” Smart Mater. Struct., Vol.16, pp. 1401-1414, 2007.
-  C. S. Loh, H. Yokoi, and T. Arai, “New Shape Memory Alloy Actuator: Design and Application in the Prosthetic Hand,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 27th Annual Conf., pp. 1-4, 2005.
-  S. Dilibal, R. M. Tabanli, and A. Dikicioglu, “Development of shape memory actuated ITU Robot Hand and its mine clearance compatibility,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.155, pp. 1390-1394, 2004.
-  V. Bundhoo, E. Haslam, B. Birch, and E. J. Park, “A shape memory alloy-based tendon-driven actuation system for biomimetic artificial fingers, part I: design and evaluation,” Robotica, Vol.27, pp. 131-146, 2009. (doi: 10.1017/S026357470800458X)
-  J. H. Lee, S. Okamoto, and S. Matsubara, “Development of Multi-Fingered Prosthetic Hand Using Shape Memory Alloy Type Artificial Muscle,” Computer Technology and Application, Vol.3, pp. 477-484, 2012.
-  K. Andrianesis, Y. Koveos, G. Nikolakopoulos, and A. Tzes, “Experimental Study of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuation System for a Novel Prosthetic Hand,” In: Corneliu Cismasiu. Shape Memory Alloys. Croatia, Ed. Sciyo, 2010. (ISBN: 978-953-307-106-0)
-  A. Midha, T. W. Norton, and L. L. Howell, “On the Nomenclature, Classification and Abstractions of Compliant Mechanisms,” ASME J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.116, No.1, pp. 270-279, 1994.
-  J. Paros and L. Weisbord, “How to design flexure hinge,” Mach. Des., Vol.37, pp. 151-156, 1965.
-  J. K. Yong, T-F. Lu, and D. C. Handley, “Review of circular flexure hinge design equations and derivation of empirical formulations,” Precision Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 63-70, 2008.
-  Y. Tian, B. Shirinzadeha, D. Zhang, and Y. Zhong, “Three flexure hinges for compliant mechanism designs based on dimensionless graph analysis,” Precision Engineering, Vol.34, pp. 92-100, 2010.
-  M. Goldfarb and N. Celanovic, “A Flexure-Based Gripper for Small-Scale Manipulation,” Robotica, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 181-188, 1999.
-  M. Mertmann and E. Hornbogen, “Grippers for the Micro Assembly Containing Shape Memory Actuators and Sensors,” J. Phys. IV France, Vol.7, pp. C5-621-C5-626, 1997.
-  A. M. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “A Two Degree of Freedom Gripper Actuated by SMA with Flexure Hinges,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.20, No.11, pp. 649-657, 2003.
-  T. Raparelli, P. Beomonte Zobel, and F. Durante, “Mechanical design of a 3-dof parallel robot actuated by smart wires,” Proc. of EUCOMES 2008 - The 2nd European Conf. on Mechanism Science, pp. 271-278, 2009.
-  D. Maffiodo and T. Raparelli, “Resistance Feedback of a Shape Memory Alloy Wire,” Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol.371, pp. 97-104, 2016. (doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-21290-6_10)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.