Three-Fingered Gripper with Flexure Hinges Actuated by Shape Memory Alloy Wires
Daniela Maffiodo† and Terenziano Raparelli
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, Torino 10129, Italy
-  S. Hirose, K. Ikuta, and Y. Umetani, “A New Design Method of Servo-actuators Based on the Shape Memory Effect,” in A. Morecki, G. Bianchi & K.Kedzior (Eds), Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 339-349, 1985.
-  J. Sakurai and S. Hata, “Characteristics of Ti-Ni-Zr Thin Film Metallic Glasses/Thin Film Shape Memory Alloys for Micro Actuators with Three-Dimensional Structures,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 662-667, 2015. (doi: 10.20965/ijat.2015.p06622)
-  M. E. Rosheim, “Robot Evolution: The Development of Anthrobotics,” John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1994.
-  I. Mihalcz, E. I. Zudor, V. Csibi, and P. Baranyi, “A biomechanic robot hand using SMA,” Tenth World Con. on Theory of Mach. and Mechanisms, Oulu, Finland, pp. 1835-1840, June 1999.
-  R. G. Gilbertson, “Muscle Wires Project Book,” Third Ed., Mondo-tronics, Inc., California, 1994.
-  K. De Laurentis and C. Mavroidis, “Mechanical Design of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Prosthetic Hand,” Technology and Health Care, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 91-106, 2002.
-  A. D. Price, A. Jnifene, and H. E. Naguib, “Design and control of a shape memory alloy based dexterous robot hand,” Smart Mater. Struct., Vol.16, pp. 1401-1414, 2007.
-  C. S. Loh, H. Yokoi, and T. Arai, “New Shape Memory Alloy Actuator: Design and Application in the Prosthetic Hand,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 27th Annual Conf., pp. 1-4, 2005.
-  S. Dilibal, R. M. Tabanli, and A. Dikicioglu, “Development of shape memory actuated ITU Robot Hand and its mine clearance compatibility,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.155, pp. 1390-1394, 2004.
-  V. Bundhoo, E. Haslam, B. Birch, and E. J. Park, “A shape memory alloy-based tendon-driven actuation system for biomimetic artificial fingers, part I: design and evaluation,” Robotica, Vol.27, pp. 131-146, 2009. (doi: 10.1017/S026357470800458X)
-  J. H. Lee, S. Okamoto, and S. Matsubara, “Development of Multi-Fingered Prosthetic Hand Using Shape Memory Alloy Type Artificial Muscle,” Computer Technology and Application, Vol.3, pp. 477-484, 2012.
-  K. Andrianesis, Y. Koveos, G. Nikolakopoulos, and A. Tzes, “Experimental Study of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuation System for a Novel Prosthetic Hand,” In: Corneliu Cismasiu. Shape Memory Alloys. Croatia, Ed. Sciyo, 2010. (ISBN: 978-953-307-106-0)
-  A. Midha, T. W. Norton, and L. L. Howell, “On the Nomenclature, Classification and Abstractions of Compliant Mechanisms,” ASME J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.116, No.1, pp. 270-279, 1994.
-  J. Paros and L. Weisbord, “How to design flexure hinge,” Mach. Des., Vol.37, pp. 151-156, 1965.
-  J. K. Yong, T-F. Lu, and D. C. Handley, “Review of circular flexure hinge design equations and derivation of empirical formulations,” Precision Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 63-70, 2008.
-  Y. Tian, B. Shirinzadeha, D. Zhang, and Y. Zhong, “Three flexure hinges for compliant mechanism designs based on dimensionless graph analysis,” Precision Engineering, Vol.34, pp. 92-100, 2010.
-  M. Goldfarb and N. Celanovic, “A Flexure-Based Gripper for Small-Scale Manipulation,” Robotica, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 181-188, 1999.
-  M. Mertmann and E. Hornbogen, “Grippers for the Micro Assembly Containing Shape Memory Actuators and Sensors,” J. Phys. IV France, Vol.7, pp. C5-621-C5-626, 1997.
-  A. M. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “A Two Degree of Freedom Gripper Actuated by SMA with Flexure Hinges,” J. of Robotic Systems, Vol.20, No.11, pp. 649-657, 2003.
-  T. Raparelli, P. Beomonte Zobel, and F. Durante, “Mechanical design of a 3-dof parallel robot actuated by smart wires,” Proc. of EUCOMES 2008 - The 2nd European Conf. on Mechanism Science, pp. 271-278, 2009.
-  D. Maffiodo and T. Raparelli, “Resistance Feedback of a Shape Memory Alloy Wire,” Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol.371, pp. 97-104, 2016. (doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-21290-6_10)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.