Study of an Underactuated Mechanical Finger Driven by Tendons
Vincenzo Niola†, Cesare Rossi, Sergio Savino, and Francesco Timpone
Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Naples “Federico II”
Via Claudio, 21 80125 Naples, Italy
This paper presents an investigation on the influence of the design parameters in an underactuated mechanical finger driven by un-extendable tendons. The study was carried out using simulations and experimental tests. The aim of the study is to analyze the behavior of the finger during its closing motion. Hence, this study can help in correctly designing fingers for underactuated grasping devices. Various design aspects and parameters were taken into account to optimize the dynamic behavior of the mechanism in the simulation. The actions of the tendons were modelled with the forces that the tendon exerts on the phalanges.
-  L. Biagiotti, F. Lotti, C. Melchiorri et al., “Design aspects for advanced robot hands,” Proc. of 2002 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Lausanne, 2002.
-  G. Grioli, M. Catalano, E. Silvestri, S. Tono, and A. Bicchi, “Adaptive Synergies: an approach to the design of under-actuated robotic hands,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf, on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2012.
-  S. Roccella, M. C. Carrozza, G. Cappiello, P. Dario, J. J. Cabibihan, M. Zecca, H. Miwa, K. Itoh, M. Matsumoto, and A. Takanishi, “Design, fabrication and preliminary results of a Novel anthropomorphic hand for humanoid robotics: RCH-1,” Proc. of 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int, Conf, on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, Sept. 28 to Oct. 2, 2004.
-  S. Roccella, M. C. Carrozza, G. Cappiello, J. J. Cabibihan, C. Laschi, P. Dario, H. Takanobu, M. Matsumoto, H. Miwa, K. Itoh, and A. Takanishi, “Design and Development of Five-Fingered Hands for a Humanoid Emotion Expression Robot,” Int. J. of Humanoid Robotics, No.4, pp. 181-206, 2007.
-  C. Y. Brown and H. H. Asada, “Inter-Finger Coordination and Postural Synergies in Robot Hands via Mechanical Implementation of Principal Components Analysis,” 2007 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems San Diego CA USA, Oct. 29 to Nov. 2, 2007.
-  H. Yussof, M. Ohka, H. Suzuki, N. Morisawa, and J. Takata, “Tactile sensing-based control architecture in multi-fingered arm for object manipulation,” Engineering Letters, Vol.16, Issue 2, 2009.
-  G. Carbone and M. Ceccarelli, “Experimental Tests on Feasible Operation of a Finger Mechanism in the LARM Hand,” Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Vol.36, No.1, pp. 1-13, DOI: 10.1080/15397730701729445, 2008.
-  W. L. Cheng, G. Carbone, and M. Ceccarelli, “Designing an underactuated mechanism for a 1 active DOF finger operation,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.44, pp. 336-348, 2009.
-  G. Carbone and M. Ceccarelli, “Design of LARM Hand: Problems and Solutions,” J. of Control Engineering and Applied Informatics, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 39-46, 2008.
-  A. Bicchi, “Hands for Dexterous Manipulation and Robust Grasping: A Difficult Road Toward Simplicity,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.16, No.6, 2000.
-  N. Dechev, W. L. Cleghorn, and S. Naumann, “Multiple finger, passive adaptive grasp prosthetic hand,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.36, pp. 1157-1173, 2001.
-  M. Baril, T. Laliberté, C. Gosselin et al., “On the design of a mechanically programmable underactuated anthropomorphic prosthetic gripper,” J. of Mechanical Design, Vol.135, No.12, 121008, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025493, 2013.
-  D. P. J. Cotton, A. Cranny, P. H. Chappell, N. M. White, and S. P. Beeby, “Control Strategies for a Multiple Degree of Freedom Prosthetic Hand. Electronic Systems Design Group,” School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, 2006.
-  S. Roccella, E. Cattin, N. Vitiello, F. Giovacchini, A. Chiri, F. Vecchi, and M. C. Carrozza, “Design of a hand exoskeleton (handexos) for the rehabilitation of the hand,” Gerontechnology, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 197-197, 2008.
-  C. Cipriani, M. Controzzi, and M. C. Carrozza, “The Smart Hand Transradial Prosthesis,” J. of Neuro-engineering and Rehabilitation, No.8, 2011.
-  V. Ionescu and A. Zafiu, “Rapid Prosthesis Design Based on Movement Decomposition,” IAENG Int. J. of Computer Science, Vol.37, Issue 1, pp. 93-98, 2010.
-  C. Pylatiuk, S. Mounier, A. Kargov, S. Schulz, and G. Bretthauer, “Progress in the Development of a Multifunctional Hand Prosthesis,” Proc. of the 26th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE EMBS San Francisco CA USA, Sept. 1-5, 2004.
-  C. Gosselin, F. Pelletier, and T. Laliberte, “An Anthropomorphic Underactuated Robotic Hand with 15 Dofs and a Single Actuator,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation Pasadena, CA USA, May 19-23, 2008.
-  C. Rossi and S. Savino, “Mechanical Model of a Single Tendon Finger,” Proc. of ICNAAM 2013: 11th Int. Conf. of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics, Rhodes, Greece, Sep. 21-27, 2013.
-  V. Niola, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “A new mechanical hand: Theoretical studies and first prototyping,” Int. Review of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.8, Issue 5, pp. 835-844, 2014.
-  V. Niola, F. Penta, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “An underactuated mechanical hand: Theoretical studies and prototyping,” Int. J. of Mechanics and Control, Vol.16, Issue 1, pp. 11-19, 2015.
-  V. Niola, C. Rossi, S. Savino, and S. Troncone, “A Study of a Robotic Hand with Tendon Driven Fingers,” ROBOTICA, DOI: 10.1017/S0263574714001179, 2014.
-  M. Grebenstein, M. Chalon, G. Hirzinger, and R. Siegwart, “Antagonistically Driven Finger Design for the Anthropomorphic DLR Hand Arm System,” IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots Nashville, TN USA, Dec. 6-8, 2010.
-  K. Nagata, F. Saito, Y. Wakita, and T. Suehiro, “Grasping Operation Based on Functional Cooperation of Fingers,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, Issue 2, pp. 134-140, 2007.
-  M. Takaiwa, T. Noritsugu, D. Sasaki, and T. Nogami, “Fingertip Force Displaying Device Using Pneumatic Negative Pressure,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, Issue 2, pp. 208-215, 2014.
-  C. Rossi and S. Pagano, “A study on possible motors for siege towers,” J. of Mechanical Design, Trans. of the ASME, Vol.133, Issue 7, No.71009, 2011.
-  C. Rossi and S. Savino, “An underactuated multi-finger grasping device,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.11, Issue 1, No.20, 2014.
-  G. Carbone, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “Performance comparison between Federica Hand and LARM Hand,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.12, DOI: 10.5772/60523, 2015.
-  F. Penta, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “An Underactuated Finger for a Robotic Hand,” Int. J. of Mechanics and Control, Vol.15, No.2, 2014.
-  F. Penta, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “Gripping analysis of an underactuated finger,” Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol.371, pp. 71-78, 2015.
-  V. Niola and C. Rossi, “Video acquisition of a robot arm trajectories in the work space,” WSEAS Trans. on Computers, Iusse 7, Vol.4, pp. 830-836, 2005.
-  V. Niola, C. Rossi, and S. Savino, “A New Real Time Shape Acquisition with a Laser Scanner: First Test Results,” Robotics And Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Issue 6, Vol.26, pp. 543-550, 2010.