Numerical Analysis of Temperature Change in Sandwich Structure During Laser Sealing
Akira Chiba†, Souta Matsusaka, Hirofumi Hidai, and Noboru Morita
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
Numerical analysis revealed the thermal behavior during the laser joining of two glass plates using a low melting point glass frit as an adhesive. The proposed model is a structure consisting of a straight line glass frit sandwiched between glass plates. The numerical solutions of three associated heat equations were provided by the finite difference method. The constant heat flux model predicted the temperature at the contact interface between the glass frit pattern and the glass plate. The influence of heat source shape on temperature distribution was compared using circular and elliptical beams. Irradiation with the elliptical beam extended the softening domain of the glass frit pattern further than the circular beam. The increase in softening domain depended on the major diameter of the elliptical beam. Thermal diffusion had no influence on the glass plate domains at distances greater than 1 mm from the edge of the glass frit pattern. Laser frit sealing is an effective means of resolving the issue of heat influence on electronic devices.
-  S. Logunov, S. Marjanovic, and J. Balakrishnan, “Laser Assisted Frit Sealing for High Thermal Expansion Glasses,” JLMN-J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 326-333, 2012.
-  F. Ribeiro, J. Maçaira, R. Cruz, J. Gabriel, L. Andrade, and A. Mendes, “Laser assisted glass frit sealing of dye-sensitized solar cells,” Sol. Energ. Mater. Sol. Cells, Vol.96, pp. 43-49, 2012.
-  S. Widodoa, G. Wirantoa, and M. Nur Hidayatb, “Fabrication of dye sensitized solar cells with spray coated carbon nano tube (CNT) based counter electrodes,” Energ. Procedia, Vol.68, pp. 37-44, 2015.
-  R. Sastrawana, J. Beierb, U. Belledina, S. Hemmingc, A. Hinschd, R. Kernd, C. Vetterb, F. M. Petrate, A. Prodi-Schwabe, P. Lechnerf, and W. Hoffmann, “A glass frit-sealed dye solar cell module with integrated series connections,” Sol. Energ. Mater. Sol. Cells, Vol.90, pp. 1680-1691, 2006.
-  S. Ito, T. N. Murakami, P. Comte, P. Liska, C. Grätzel, M. K. Nazeeruddin, and M. Grätzel, “Fabrication of thin film dye sensitized solar cells with solar to electric power conversion efficiency over 10%,” Thin Solid Films Vol.516, pp. 4613-4619, 2008.
-  G. Hashmi, K. Miettunen, T. Peltola, J. Halme, I. Asghar, K. Aitola, M. Toivol, and P. Lund, “Review of materials and manufacturing options for large area flexible dye solar cells,” Renew. Sus. Energ. Rev., Vol.15, pp. 3717-3732, 2011.
-  H. C. Wu, M. J. Youh, W. H. Lin, C. L. Tseng, Y. M. Juan, M. H. Chuang, Y. Y. Li, and A. Sakoda, “Fabrication of double-sided field-emission light source using a mixture of carbon nanotubes and phosphor sandwiched between two electrode layers,” Carbon, Vol.50, pp. 4781-4786, 2012.
-  X. Wang, X. Song, M. Jiang, P. Li, Y. Hu, K. Wang, and H. Liu, “Modeling and optimization of laser transmission joining process between PET and 316L stainless steel using response surface methodology,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.44, pp.656-663, 2012.
-  S. Matsusaka, Y. Mihara, A. Chiba, H. Hidai, and N. Morita, “Laser Joining of Glass Substrates using Low Melting Point Insert Glass,” J. Japan Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol.81, No.4, pp. 349-355, 2015.
-  I. Miyamoto, A. Horn, and J. Gottmann, “Local Melting of Glass Material and Its Application to Direct Fusion Welding by Ps-laser Pulses,” JLMN-J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 7-14, 2007.
-  A. Utsumi, T. Ooie, T. Yano, and M. Katsumura, “Direct Bonding of Glass and Metal Using Short Pulsed Laser,” JLMN-J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.2, No.2, pp.133-136, 2007.
-  D. Hélie, F. Lacroix, and R. Vallée, “Reinforcing a Direct Bond between Optical Materials by Filamentation Based Femtosecond Laser Welding,” JLMN-J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 284-292, 2012.
-  Q. Wu, N. Lorenz, K. M. Cannon, and D. P. Hand, “Glass Frit as a Hermetic Joining Layer in Laser Based Joining of Miniature Devices,” IEEE Trans. On Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol.3, No.2, pp.470-477, 2010.
-  N. Lorenz, S. Millar, M. Desmulliez, and D. P. Hand, “Hermetic glass frit packaging in air and vacuum with localized laser joining,” J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol.21, 045039 pp. 1-7, 2011.
-  H. Kind, E. Gehlen, M. Aden, A. Olowinsky, and A. Gillner, “Laser glass frit sealing for encapsulation of vacuum insulation,” Physics Procedia, Vol.56, pp. 673-680, 2014.
-  T. Naito, T. Aoyagi, Y. Sawai, S. Tachizono, K. Yoshimura, Y. Hashiba, and M. Yoshimoto, “Lead-Free Low-Melting and Semiconductive Vanadate Glass Applicable to Low-Temperature Sealing,” Japanese J. App. Physics, Vol.50, 088002 pp. 1-2, 2011.
-  Q. Wu, Y. Semenova, P. Wang, and G. Farrell, “Numerical investigation on a laser based localised joining with a glass frit intermediate layer,” Microsyst. Technol., Vol.18, pp. 87-95, 2012.
-  W. Wang, Y. Xiao, X. Wu, and J. Zhang, “Optimization of laser-assisted glass frit bonding process by response surface methodology,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.77, pp. 111-115, 2016.
-  H. Banse, E. Beckert, R. Eberhardt, W. Stöckl, and J. Vogel, “Laser beam soldering – a new assembly technology for microoptical systems,” Microsystem Technol., Vol.11, pp. 186-193, 2005.
-  S. Tseng, W. Hsiao, K. Huang, C. Huang, and C. Chou, “Investigation of Profile Cutting on Glass Plates Using a Pulsed UV Laser System,” Int. J of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 270-276, 2011.
-  A. Chiba, H. Hidai, S. Matsusaka, and N. Morita, “Tow-Dimensional Dynamic Stress Behavior of Sheet Glass Caused by a Continuous Step Input from a Cylindrical Loader,” Int. J of Automation Technology, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 401-410, 2016.
-  A. Chiba, H. Hidai, S. Matsusaka, and N. Morita, “Dynamic Thermal elastic Behavior in Sheet Glass Generated by Pulsed Laser Irradiation Using a One-Dimensional Model,” Int. J of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.6, pp. 847-854, 2014.
-  I. Kono, N. Sugita, and M. Mitsuishi, “Simulation of laser micromachining in Silica glass with absorbent slurry,” Int. J of Automation Technology, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 284-290, 2010.
-  F. Motomura, “Micro Drilling Simulation of Ultra-Short Pulsed Laser Ablation of Glass,” Int. J of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 418-290, 2015.
-  N. Otero, P. Romero, J. Sotelo, and A. González, “Laser Surface Modification to Enhance Brazing Joints,” JLMN-J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 137-143, 2013.
-  Z. Tang, T. Seefeld, and F. Vollertsen, “Laser brazing of aluminum with a new filler wire AlZn13Si10Cu4,” Physics Procedia, Vol.41, pp.128-136, 2013.
-  Y. C. Liao and M. H. Yu, “Effects of laser beam energy and incident angle on the pulse laser welding of stainless steel thin sheet,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.190, pp. 102-108, 2007.
-  J. Goldak, A. Chakravarti, and M. Bibby, “A New Finite Element Model for Welding Heat Sources,” Metall. Trans. B, Vol.15B, pp. 299-305, 1984.
-  F. Hongyuan, M. Qingguo, X. Wenli, and J. Shude, “New general double ellipsoid heat source model,” Sci. Technol. Weld. Join., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 361-368, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.