Proposal for Evaluating Workers’ Work Characteristics – Case Study on Business Machinery Production Line –
Seiko Taki*,†, Yasuhiro Kajihara**, and Arou Yamamoto**
*Chiba Institute of Technology
2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
**Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo, Japan
The General Aptitude Test Battery (GATB) is widely used to evaluate a subject’s cognitive ability for the purpose of selecting appropriate employment. The results of the GATB have been used to place staff in departments ranging from clerical departments to assembly lines. However, at actual manufacturing and assembly sites, workers receive mixed evaluations of “slow work” and “fast work” from the site administrators even though they all have high GATB scores for their jobs. In this study, with the aim of improving job design and employment selection, we do a detailed analysis of the existing GATB method of evaluating work characteristics and worker capacities. We conduct inspection ratings to measure each worker’s ability to adjust their working speeds and analyze the relationship between the GATB score and the worker evaluations. Next, we discover specific motions that explain the evaluation of workers by analyzing worker motions during the GATB. Lastly, we propose a method of determining whether an employee can work quickly in the field.
-  K. H. E. Kroemer and E. Grandjean, “Fitting the Task to the Human Fifth Edition,” CRC Press, pp. 231-239, 1997.
-  S. Konz and S. Johnson, “Work Design Seventh Edition,” Holcomb Hathaway, Publishers, pp. 527-577, 2008.
-  K. Itoh, S. Kuwano, and A. Komatsubara (Ed.), “Handbook of Human Factors,” Asakura Publishing, pp. 564-572, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Statistics Bureau of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “Development of the declining birthrate and an aging population,” Population Census, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Statistics Bureau of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, “Employment Conditions of Elderly Persons,” Population Census, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Foreign Information Office, Int. Affairs Division, Minister’s Secretariat, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “Employment Measures for Elderly Persons in Foreign Countries,” Business Labor Trend, No. 5, pp. 32-35, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  H. Osaki, M. Wada, F. Akagi, and S. Kikuchi, “On the Relation between Vocational Aptitudes and Age,” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.47, No.420, pp. 1116-1124, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Kajihara, H. Osaki, Y. Munesawa, T. Taguchi, Y. Egusa, and M. Ogata, “Work Capabilities of Advanced Aged Persons,” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 160-167, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  M. Nagamachi, “Job Design and Motivation,” Journal of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 302-307, 1976 (in Japanese).
-  S. E. Bechtold and G. M. Thompson, “Optimal Scheduling of a Flexible-Duration rest period for a work group,” Operations Research, Vol.41, No.6, pp. 1046-1054, 1993.
-  M. K. Park, N. Nakatsuka, S. Taki, K. Yamanaka, and M. Kawakami, “Study on Job Enlargement Using Physiological Parameters,” Journal of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.62, No.4, pp. 174-181, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  N. Nakatsuka, M. K. Park, S. Taki, K. Yamanaka, and M. Kawakami, “A Study on Job Enrichment Using Psychophysiological Parameters,” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.78, No.791, pp. 2583-2591, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “Manual of General Aptitude Test Battery (GATB-2),” 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hattori and K. Hirano, “A Comparison of General Aptitude Test Battery (GATB) 1969 Version and 1983 Version (Japanese Edition),” Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, Vol.1, pp. 37-40, 1987 (in Japanese).
-  F. Akagi, H. Osaki, and S. Kikuchi, “On the Relation between the Manipulative Aptitudes and the Assembly Skill of the Workers,” Journal of Japan Industrial Management Association, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 288-292, 1975 (in Japanese).
-  Small and Medium Enterprise Agency, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, “White Paper on Small and Medium Enterprises in Japan 2006,” http://www.chusho.meti.go.jp/pamflet/hakusyo/h18/download/2006hakusho_eng.pdf [accessed May 10, 2016]
-  S. Moromugi and T. Noritsugu, “Special Issue on Robotic Technology to Extend Workers’ Physical Abilities and Skills,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 641-642, 2009.
-  E. Yagi, D. Harada, and M. Kobayashi, “S Upper-Limb Power-Assist Control for Agriculture Load Lifting,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 716-722, 2009.
-  K. Yoshimoto, H. Onari, and K. Watanabe, “Method engineering,” Asakura Publishing Co. Ltd., pp. 114-125, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  A. Fujita, “Basics of IE – New Edition –,” Kenpaku-sha, 1978 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.