Minimizing Burrs and Defects on Microstructures with Laser Assisted Micromachining Technology
Shaolin Xu*,†, Shinsaku Osawa**, Ryuichi Kobayashi**, Keita Shimada**, Masayoshi Mizutani**, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa*
*Division of Biomechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, Tohoku University
Aoba 6-6-01, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University
Aoba 6-6-01, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Molding technology is widely used to manufacture optical components because of its high efficiency. Along with the quick development of miniaturization in industry, the detrimental effects of previously negligible burrs and defects on mold surfaces have become significant to the performance of components, so these problems should be minimized. In this study, a laser assisted micromachining method was developed to solve this problem during the fabrication of periodic microstructures on a molding material of electroless nickel-phosphorus (NiP) plating. The transient temperature distributions of the workpiece under laser irradiation and the change in the maximum shear stress during the laser assisted micromachining process were simulated to set appropriate experimental conditions. Then, periodic micropyramid structures were fabricated by both conventional cutting and the laser assisted cutting processes. Results show that defects largely decreased on machined structures with the assistance of laser irradiation. The decrease in specific cutting force and the change of chips’ morphology were also utilized to analyze the reasons for this improvement.
-  R. Kobayashi, T. Zhou, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani and T. Kuriyagawa, “Ultraprecision glass molding press for microgrooves with different pitch sizes,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.6, pp. 678-685, 2013.
-  S. Bolotov, R. Kobayashi, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani and T. Kuriyagawa, “Fabrication of precision micrograting on resin substrate utilizing ultrasonic-assisted molding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 43-50, 2015.
-  J. Yan, T. Oowada, T. Zhou and T. Kuriyagawa, “Precision machining of microstructures on electroless-plated NiP surface for molding glass components,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.209, No.10, pp. 4802-4808, 2009.
-  A. Pramanik, K. S. Neo, M. Rahman, X. P. Li, M. Sawa and Y. Maeda, “Cutting performance of diamond tools during ultra-precision turning of electroless-nickel plated die materials,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.140, No.1-3, pp. 308-313, 2003.
-  M. J. Madou, “Fundamentals of microfabrication: the science of miniaturization,” CRC Press, 2002.
-  D. Biermann and M. Heilmann, “Burr minimization strategies in machining operations,” Procs. of the CIRP Int. Conf. on Burrs, pp. 13-20, 2009.
-  K. Kitajima and A. Yamamoto, “Latest trends in deburring technology,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.1, pp. 4-8, 2010.
-  V. Lertphokanont, A. Nakayama, M. Ota, K. Egashira, K. Yamaguchi and N. Kawada, “Development of deburring technology with whirling EDM,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.1, pp. 121-127, 2013.
-  Y. H. Jeong, B. HanYoo, H. U. Lee, B. K. Min and D. W. Cho, “Deburring microfeatures using micro-EDM,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.209, No.14, pp. 5399-5406, 2009.
-  M. Anzai, T. Nakagawa, N. Yoshioka and S. Banno, “Development of inline micro-deburring applying magnetic-field-assisted polishing” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.4, No.1, pp. 9-14, 2010.
-  G. Chryssolouris and N. Anifantis, “Laser assisted machining: an overview,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.119, No.4B, pp. 766-769, 1997.
-  P. Dumitrescu, P. Koshy, J. Stenekes and M. A. Elbestawi, “High-power diode laser assisted hard turning of AISI D2 tool steel,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, No.15, pp. 2009-2016, 2006.
-  C. W. Chang and C. P. Kuo, “An investigation of laser-assisted machining of Al2O3 ceramics planing,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, No.3-4, pp. 452-461, 2007.
-  V. Garcí, I. Arriola, O. Gonzalo, and J. Leunda, “Mechanisms involved in the improvement of Inconel 718 machinability by laser assisted machining (LAM),” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.74, pp. 19-28, 2013.
-  A. K. M. N. Amin, S. B. Dolah, M. B. Mahmud and M. A. Lajis, “Effects of workpiece preheating on surface roughness, chatter and tool performance during end milling of hardened steel D2,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.201, No.1-3, pp. 466-470, 2008.
-  S. Sun, M. Brandt and M. S. Dargusch, “Thermally enhanced machining of hard-to-machine materials–A review,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.50, No.8, pp. 663-680, 2010.
-  J. C. Rozzi, F. E. Pfefferkorn and F. P. Incropera, “Transient, three-dimensional heat transfer model for the laser assisted machining of silicon nitride: I. Comparison of predictions with measured surface temperature histories” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.43, No.8, pp. 1409-142415, 2000.
-  E. F. Schubert, “Refractive index and extinction coefficient of materials,” http://homepages.rpi.edu/˜schubert/Educational-resources/Materials-Refractive-index-and-extinction-coefficient.pdf,2004 [accessed May 19, 2016]
-  M. Hashimura, K. Ueda, K. Manabe, and D. Dornfeld, “Analysis of burr formation in orthogonal cutting,” The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.2, pp. 218-223, 2000.
-  C. A. Schuh, T. C. Hufnagel, and U. Ramamurty, “Mechanical behavior of amorphous alloys,” Acta Materialia, Vol.55, No.12, pp. 4067-4109, 2007.
-  J. Gao, Y. Wu, L. Liu, B. Shen and W. Hu, “Crystallization temperature of amorphous electroless nickel–phosphorus alloys,” Materials Letters, Vol.59, No.13, pp. 1665-1669, 2005.
-  S. Sun, M. Brandt, and M. S. Dargusch, “The effect of a laser beam on chip formation during machining of Ti6Al4V alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Trans. A, Vol.41, No.6, pp. 1573-1581, 2010.