Improvement of Machining Performance of Small-Diameter End Mill by Means of Micro- and Nanometer-Scale Textures
Noritaka Kawasegi*1,†, Hiroshi Sugimori*2, Noboru Morita*3, and Toru Sekiguchi*4
*1Central Research Institute, Toyama Industrial Technology Center
150 Futagami-machi, Takaoka-shi, Toyama 933-0981, Japan
*2Machinery and Electronics Research Institute, Toyama Industrial Technology Center, Toyama, Japan
*3Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
*4NACHI-FUJIKOSHI CORP., Toyama, Japan
The purpose of this study is to develop novel cutting tools with micro- or nanoscale textures on their surfaces. Texturing micro- or nanoscale features on a surface allows us to control the tribological characteristics of the tool. For this research, textures were applied to end mills with a diameter of 0.5 mm using a femtosecond laser, and milling experiments were conducted on aluminum alloy to evaluate the developed tools. The applied texture decreased the cutting forces. This effect depends on the shape of the texture: groove textures are more effective for reducing friction and the resultant cutting forces. Periodic textures fabricated through the interference of the laser were effective at reducing the adhesion of the work material. A larger effect was obtained for shallow and large pitch textures. The results indicate that the proposed method is effective at improving the machining performance of small-diameter end mills.
-  K. E. Petersen, “Silicon as a mechanical material,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.70, pp. 420-457, 1982.
-  H. Ogawa, M. Masuda, A. Oyama, and Y. Kogami, “Effect of cavitation of cutting fluid in micro drilling (1st Report, Researches on applying ultrasonic vibra-tion on machining fluid)” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.72, pp. 626-630, 2006.
-  H. Sugimori, H. Fujii, S. Teshima, and Y. Kamiya, “Development of a drilling machine for a small hole (2nd report, Influence of the feed with vibration on the drilling performance),” Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng. Spring Conf. pp. 633-634, 2004.
-  C. J. Evans and J. B. Bryan, ““Structured,” “textured” or “engineered” surfaces,” CIRP Annals, Vol.48, pp. 541-556, 1999.
-  M. Moronuki, “Functional texture design and texturing processes” Int. J. Automation, Technol., Vol.10, pp. 4-15, 2016.
-  A. Blatter, M. Maillat, S. M. Pimenov, G. A. Shafeev, and A. V. Simakin, “Lubricated friction of laser micro-patterned sapphire flats” Tribo. Lett., Vol.4, pp. 237-241, 1998.
-  H. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, A. Mori, and K. Kurosawa, “Effect of precise periodic structures with femtosecond-laser on tribological characteristics under sliding tests” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.70, pp. 133-137, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  X. Wang, K. Kato, K. Adachi, and K. Aizawa, “Loads carrying capacity map for the surface texture design of SiC thrust bearing sliding in water” Tribo. Int., Vol.36, pp. 189-197, 2003.
-  N. P. Suh, M. Mosleh, and P. S. Howard, “Control of friction” Wear, Vol.175, No.151, 1994.
-  K. Watanabe, T. Hoshino, K. Kanda, Y. Haruyama, and S. Matsui, “Brilliant blue observation from a morpho-butterfly-scale quasi-structure,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, pp. L48-50, 2005.
-  H. Toyota, K. Takahashi, M. Okano, T. Yotsuya, and H. Kikuta, “Fabrication of microcone array for antireflection structured surface using matarl dotted pattern,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Vol.40, pp. L747-L749, 2001.
-  J. Taniguchi, Y. Nemoto, and Y. Sugiyama, “Fabrication of non reflective structure on glassy carbon surface using oxygen ion beam irradiation,” J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Vol.9, pp. 445-449, 2009.
-  M. Yoshino, T. Matsumura, N. Umehara, Y. Akagami, S. Aravindan, and T. Ohno, “Engineering surface and development of a new DNA micro array chip,” Wear Vol.260, pp. 274-286, 2006.
-  N. Kawasegi, M. Fujii, T. Shimizu, N. Sekiguchi, J. Sumioka, and Y. Doi, “Evaluation of the human tactile sense to microtexturing on plastic molding surfaces,” Prec. Eng., Vol.37, pp. 433-442, 2013.
-  N. Kawasegi, M. Fujii, T. Shimizu, N. Sekiguchi, J. Sumioka, and Y. Doi, “Physical properties and tactile sensory perception of microtextured molded plastics,” Prec. Eng., Vol.38, pp. 292-299, 2014.
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Development of cutting tools with microscale and nanoscale textures to improve frictional behavior” Prec. Eng., Vol.33, pp. 248-254, 2009.
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Development of cutting tools utilizing surface functions induced by micro/nanometer-scale textures – turning experiments of aluminum alloy using DLC coated tools –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.75, pp. 1245-1249, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Drilling aluminum alloy using small-diameter drills with micro/nanometer-scale textures,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. C, Vol.76, pp. 446-452, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and M. Xue, “Atmosphere effect on the machinability of cutting tools with micro- and nanoscale textures,” Adv. Mater. Res., Vol.325, pp. 333-338, 2011.
-  T. Obikawa and B. Kani, “Micro ball end milling of titanium alloy using a tool with a microstructured rake face,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Sys. Manuf., Vol.6, pp. 1121-1130, 2012.
-  W. Chang, J. Sun, X. Luo, J. M. Ritchie, and C. Mack, “Investigation of microstructured milling tool for deferring tool wear,” Wear, Vol.271, pp. 2433-2437, 2011.
-  E. Coyne, G. M. O’Connor, P. Mannion, J. Magee, and T. J. Glynn, “Analysis of thermal damage in bulk silicon with femtosecond laser micromachining,” Proc. SPIE, Vol.5339, pp. 73-83, 2004.
-  K. Weinert, I. Inasaki, J. W. Sutherland, and T. Wakabayashi, “Dry machining and minimum quantity lubrication,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, pp. 511-537, 2004.
-  T. Wakabayashi, I. Inasaki, S. Suda, and H. Yokota, “Tribological characteristics and cutting performance of lubricant esters for semi-dry machining,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, pp. 61-64, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.