Improvement of Machining Performance of Small-Diameter End Mill by Means of Micro- and Nanometer-Scale Textures
Noritaka Kawasegi*1,†, Hiroshi Sugimori*2, Noboru Morita*3, and Toru Sekiguchi*4
*1Central Research Institute, Toyama Industrial Technology Center
150 Futagami-machi, Takaoka-shi, Toyama 933-0981, Japan
*2Machinery and Electronics Research Institute, Toyama Industrial Technology Center, Toyama, Japan
*3Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
*4NACHI-FUJIKOSHI CORP., Toyama, Japan
-  K. E. Petersen, “Silicon as a mechanical material,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.70, pp. 420-457, 1982.
-  H. Ogawa, M. Masuda, A. Oyama, and Y. Kogami, “Effect of cavitation of cutting fluid in micro drilling (1st Report, Researches on applying ultrasonic vibra-tion on machining fluid)” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.72, pp. 626-630, 2006.
-  H. Sugimori, H. Fujii, S. Teshima, and Y. Kamiya, “Development of a drilling machine for a small hole (2nd report, Influence of the feed with vibration on the drilling performance),” Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng. Spring Conf. pp. 633-634, 2004.
-  C. J. Evans and J. B. Bryan, ““Structured,” “textured” or “engineered” surfaces,” CIRP Annals, Vol.48, pp. 541-556, 1999.
-  M. Moronuki, “Functional texture design and texturing processes” Int. J. Automation, Technol., Vol.10, pp. 4-15, 2016.
-  A. Blatter, M. Maillat, S. M. Pimenov, G. A. Shafeev, and A. V. Simakin, “Lubricated friction of laser micro-patterned sapphire flats” Tribo. Lett., Vol.4, pp. 237-241, 1998.
-  H. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, A. Mori, and K. Kurosawa, “Effect of precise periodic structures with femtosecond-laser on tribological characteristics under sliding tests” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.70, pp. 133-137, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  X. Wang, K. Kato, K. Adachi, and K. Aizawa, “Loads carrying capacity map for the surface texture design of SiC thrust bearing sliding in water” Tribo. Int., Vol.36, pp. 189-197, 2003.
-  N. P. Suh, M. Mosleh, and P. S. Howard, “Control of friction” Wear, Vol.175, No.151, 1994.
-  K. Watanabe, T. Hoshino, K. Kanda, Y. Haruyama, and S. Matsui, “Brilliant blue observation from a morpho-butterfly-scale quasi-structure,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, pp. L48-50, 2005.
-  H. Toyota, K. Takahashi, M. Okano, T. Yotsuya, and H. Kikuta, “Fabrication of microcone array for antireflection structured surface using matarl dotted pattern,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Vol.40, pp. L747-L749, 2001.
-  J. Taniguchi, Y. Nemoto, and Y. Sugiyama, “Fabrication of non reflective structure on glassy carbon surface using oxygen ion beam irradiation,” J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Vol.9, pp. 445-449, 2009.
-  M. Yoshino, T. Matsumura, N. Umehara, Y. Akagami, S. Aravindan, and T. Ohno, “Engineering surface and development of a new DNA micro array chip,” Wear Vol.260, pp. 274-286, 2006.
-  N. Kawasegi, M. Fujii, T. Shimizu, N. Sekiguchi, J. Sumioka, and Y. Doi, “Evaluation of the human tactile sense to microtexturing on plastic molding surfaces,” Prec. Eng., Vol.37, pp. 433-442, 2013.
-  N. Kawasegi, M. Fujii, T. Shimizu, N. Sekiguchi, J. Sumioka, and Y. Doi, “Physical properties and tactile sensory perception of microtextured molded plastics,” Prec. Eng., Vol.38, pp. 292-299, 2014.
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Development of cutting tools with microscale and nanoscale textures to improve frictional behavior” Prec. Eng., Vol.33, pp. 248-254, 2009.
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Development of cutting tools utilizing surface functions induced by micro/nanometer-scale textures – turning experiments of aluminum alloy using DLC coated tools –,” J. Jpn. Soc. Prec. Eng., Vol.75, pp. 1245-1249, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and I. Hori, “Drilling aluminum alloy using small-diameter drills with micro/nanometer-scale textures,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. C, Vol.76, pp. 446-452, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kawasegi, H. Sugimori, H. Morimoto, N. Morita, and M. Xue, “Atmosphere effect on the machinability of cutting tools with micro- and nanoscale textures,” Adv. Mater. Res., Vol.325, pp. 333-338, 2011.
-  T. Obikawa and B. Kani, “Micro ball end milling of titanium alloy using a tool with a microstructured rake face,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Sys. Manuf., Vol.6, pp. 1121-1130, 2012.
-  W. Chang, J. Sun, X. Luo, J. M. Ritchie, and C. Mack, “Investigation of microstructured milling tool for deferring tool wear,” Wear, Vol.271, pp. 2433-2437, 2011.
-  E. Coyne, G. M. O’Connor, P. Mannion, J. Magee, and T. J. Glynn, “Analysis of thermal damage in bulk silicon with femtosecond laser micromachining,” Proc. SPIE, Vol.5339, pp. 73-83, 2004.
-  K. Weinert, I. Inasaki, J. W. Sutherland, and T. Wakabayashi, “Dry machining and minimum quantity lubrication,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, pp. 511-537, 2004.
-  T. Wakabayashi, I. Inasaki, S. Suda, and H. Yokota, “Tribological characteristics and cutting performance of lubricant esters for semi-dry machining,” CIRP Annals, Vol.53, pp. 61-64, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.