Strategies for Developing Milling Tools from the Viewpoint of Sustainable Manufacturing
A. M. M. Sharif Ullah*,†, Takeshi Akamatsu**, Masahiro Furuno**, M. A. K. Chowdhury***, and Akihiko Kubo*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kitami Institute of Technology
165 Koen-cho, Kitami, Hokkaido 090-8507, Japan
**Product Development Division, Mitsubishi Hitachi Tool Engineering, Japan
***Industrial Engineering Department, King Saud University, KSA
-  N. N. Global cutting tool market to reach US$22 billion in 2003, Metal Powder Report, Vol.53, No.2, p. 8, 1998.
-  N. N. Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development. Annex to General Assembly document A/42/427, Nairobi, Kenya. United Nations, New York, 1987.
-  Y. Umeda, T. Nishiyama, Y. Yamasaki, Y. Kishita, and S. Fukushige, “Proposal of sustainable society scenario simulator,” CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 272-278, 2009.
-  Z. Bi, “Revisiting System Paradigms from the Viewpoint of Manufacturing Sustainability,” Sustainability, Vol.3, No.9, pp. 1323-1340, 2011.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, A. Fuji, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Analyzing the sustainability of bimetallic components,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 745-753, 2014.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, H. Hashimoto, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Sustainability analysis of rapid prototyping: Material/resource and process perspectives,” International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 20-36, 2013.
-  J. M. Allwood, M. F. Ashby, T. G. Gutowski, and E. Worrell, “Material efficiency: A white paper,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol.55, No.3, pp. 362-381, 2011.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, K. Kitajima, T. Akamatsu, M. Furuno, J. Tamaki, and A. Kubo, “On some eco-indicators of cutting tools,” Proceedings of ASME 2011 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, MSEC 2011, Vol.2, No.2011, pp. 105-110, 2011.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, A. Fuji, A. Kubo, J. Tamaki, and M. Kimura, “On the surface metrology of bimetallic components,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 339-359, 2015.
-  Y. Mizuno, Y. Kishita, S. Fukushige, and Y. Umeda, “Envisioning sustainable manufacturing industries of japan,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 634-643, 2014.
-  E. O’Driscoll, D. Ó. Cusack, and G. E. O’Donnell, “The characterisation of energy consumption in manufacturing facilities – A hierarchical approach,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 727-734, 2013.
-  N. Suzuki, Y. Morimoto, K. Takasugi, R. Kobashi, R. Hirono, Y. Kaneko, and Y. Tokuno, “Development of desktop machine tool with pipe frame structure,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 720-730, 2015.
-  S. Ogawa, S. Okumura, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and Y. Onchi, “Investigation of eco-friendly fixed-abrasive polishing with compact robot,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.126-128, No.2010, pp. 415-420, 2010.
-  H. Narita, “A method for using a virtual machining simulation to consider both equivalent CO2 emissions and machining costs in determining cutting conditions,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 115-121, 2015.
-  A. Ghandehariun, Y. Nazzal, H. Kishawy, and N. S. N. Al-Arifi, “Investigation of sustainability in machining processes: Exergy analysis of turning operations,” International Journal of Exergy, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 1-16, 2015.
-  Q. Chang, G. Xiao, L. Li, and S. Biller, “Energy management in manufacturing systems,” Proceedings of ASME 2011 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Vol.2, No.2011, pp. 119-125, 2011.
-  T. Wakabayashi, S. Suda, I. Inasaki, K. Terasaka, Y. Musha, and Y. Toda, “Tribological action and cutting performance of MQL media in machining of aluminum,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.56, No.1, pp. 97-100, 2007.
-  I. Inasaki, “Towards symbiotic machining processes,” International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.13, No.7, pp. 1053-1057, 2012.
-  Y. Kaynak, T. Lu, and I. S. Jawahir, “Cryogenic machining-induced surface integrity: A review and comparison with dry, mql, and flood-cooled machining,” Machining Science and Technology, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 149-198, 2014.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, M. Sato, M. Watanabe, and M. M. Rashid, “Integrating CAD, TRIZ, and customer needs,” International Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 132-143, 2016.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah and J. Tamaki, “Analysis of Kano-model-based customer needs for product development,” Systems Engineering, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 154-172, 2011.
-  N. N. CES Selector, Eco-module, Version 5.1.0, Granta Design Limited, UK.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah, K. H. Harib, M. Awda, and S. Zenieh, “Application of Axiomatic Design Principles for Process Planning in Milling,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0792, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-0792, 2009.
-  N. N. Cutting power for face milling, http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/en/technical_information/tec_rotating_tools/ face_mills/tec_milling_formula/tec_milling_power_formula (last accessed on 17 May 2016).
-  H. Schulz, “Machining concepts for high speed cutting,” Proceedings of the International Seminar on Improving Machine Tool Performance, La Baule, Frankreich, 2000.
-  N. Diaz, M. Helu, A. Javis, S. Tonissen, D. Dornfeld, and R. Schlosser, “Strategies for Minimum Energy Operation for Precision Machining,” The Proceedings of MTTRF 2009 Annual Meeting.
-  E. Abele, Y. Altintas, and C. Brecher, “Machine tool spindle units,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.59, No.2, pp. 781-802, 2010.
-  A. M. M. Sharif Ullah and M. Shamsuzzaman, “Fuzzy Monte Carlo Simulation using point-cloud-based probability- possibility transformation,” Simulation, Vol.89, No.7, pp. 860-875, 2013.
-  G. Altshuller, “The Innovation Algorithm, TRIZ, Systematic Innovation and Technical Creativity,” Worcester, MA: Technical Innovation Center.
-  G. Cascini, “TRIZ-based anticipatory design of future products and processes,” Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 29-63, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.