Ultraprecision Cutting of Nickel Plated Mold for X-Ray Mirror
Hirofumi Suzuki*1,†, Mutsumi Okada*1, Yuki Masuda*1, Yoshiharu Namba*1, Katsuhiro Miura*2, Shinya Morita*3, and Yutaka Yamagata*4
1200 Matsumoto, Kasugai, Aichi 487-8501, Japan
*2MITAKA KOHKI Co. Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
*3Tokyo Denki University, Tokyo, Japan
*4RIKEN, Saitama, Japan
To improve the machining preciseness of X-ray telescope mirrors for astronomical use, the molds of electroless nickel and electro nickel are diamond-turned, and the tool wear and machining accuracy are then quantitatively evaluated. The machined surface roughness is measured and discussed in terms of the effects of cutting conditions on the resulting quality. Finally, the actual nickel-plated molds of X-ray mirrors are test cut, and their form accuracy and surface roughness are measured and evaluated. These experiments reveal that a surface roughness of 0.5 nm Ra and a form accuracy of 0.1 μm P-V can be obtained under the optimized cutting conditions.
-  H. Wolter, “Mirror systems with grazing incidence as image-forming optics for X-rays,” Annals of Physics, Vol.6, No.10, pp. 94-114, 1952.
-  Y. Namba, T. Shimomura, T. Shimizu, H. Kunieda, Y. Ogasaka, and K. Yamashita, “Development of large ultra-precision diamond turning machine for making next generation hard X-ray telescopes,” Proceedings of ASPE, pp. 65-68, 2007.
-  Y. Namba, T. Shimomura, A. Fushiki, A. Beaucamp, I. Inasaki, H. Kunieda, Y. Ogasaka, and K. Yamashita, “Ultra-precision polishing of electroless nickel molding dies for shorter wavelength applications,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 337-340, 2008.
-  A. Beaucamp, Y. Namba, and R. Freeman, “Dynamic multiphase modelling and optimization of fluid jet polishing process,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 315-318, 2012.
-  Y. Namba, T. Shimomura, A. Fushiki, A. Beaucamp, I. Inasaki, H. Kunieda, Y. Ogasaka, and K. Yamashita, “Ultra-precision polishing of electroless Nickel molding dies for shorter wave length applications,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 337-340, 2008.
-  T. H. Kao, M. C. Huang, Y. T. Su, and J. S. Lin, “Electroless nickel plating technique for depositing a nano-scale layer,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 633-637, 2012.
-  S. Maegawa, Y. Morikawa, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Effects of fiber orientation on tool-wear processs in down-milling of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic laminates,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 356-364, 2015.
-  M. Fujimoto, Y. Wu, M. Nomura, H. Kanai, and M. Jin, “Wear behavior of grain cutting edge in ultrasonic assisted grinding using mini-size wheel,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 365-371, 2015.
-  S. Ito, S. Sekine, Y. Shimizu, W. Gao, T. Fukuda, A., Kato, and K. Kubota, “Measurement of cutting edge width of a rotary cutting tool by using a laser displacement sensor,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 28-33, 2014.
-  J. Fujiwara, K. Wakao, and T. Miyamoto, “Influence of cemented carbides with polycrystalline Diamond Tool,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 433-438, 2013.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, S. Matsui, and Y. Yamagata, “Development of micro milling tool made of single crystalline diamond for ceramic cutting,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.62, No.1, pp. 59-62, 2013.
-  H. Suzuki, T. Furuki, M. Okada, K. Fujii, and T. Goto, “Precision cutting of structured ceramic molds with micro PCD milling tool,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 277-282, 2011.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, K. Okada, and Y. Ito, “Precision cutting of ceramics with milling tool of single crystalline diamond,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 26-32, 2015.
-  H. Suzuki, “Multi-axis controlled ultraprecision machining and measurement,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 227-232, 2009.
-  H. Suzuki, M. Okada, Y. Yamagata, S. Morita, and T. Higuchi, “Precision grinding of structured ceramic molds by diamond wheel trued with alloy metal,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 283-286, 2012.
-  T. Hirose, Y. Kami, T. Shimizu, M. Yabuya, and Y. Morimoto, “Development of on-machine measurement unit for correction processing of aspheric lens mold with high numerical aperture,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 34-42, 2014.
-  W. Chen, T. Kuriyagawa, H. Huang, and N. Yosihara, “Machining of micro aspherical mould inserts,” Precision Engineering, Vol.29, pp. 315-323, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Kodera, T. Nakasuji, T. Ohta, and K. Syoji, “Precision Grinding of Aspherical CVD-SiC Molding Die,” International Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 32, pp. 25-30, 1998.
-  H. Suzuki, A. Muramatsu, Y. Ymamoto, T. Okino, and T. Moriwaki, “Precision molding of micro apherical glass lenses,” Proceedings of 5th euspen International Conference, Montpellier, Vol.1, pp. 41-44, 2005.
-  E. Brinksmeier, O. Riemer, A. Gessenharter, and L. Autschbach, “Polishing of structured molds,” Annals of the CIRP,” Vol.53, No.1, pp. 247-250, 2004.
-  H. Suzuki, S. Hamada, T. Okino, M. Kondo, Y. Yamagata, and T. Higuchi, “Ultraprecision finishing of micro-aspheric surface by ultrasonic two-axis vibration assisted polishing,” Annals of the CIRP,Vol.59, pp. 347-350, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.