Development of Novel Particle Excitation Flow Control Valve for Stable Flow Characteristics
Daisuke Hirooka*,†, Tomomi Yamaguchi*, Naomichi Furushiro*, Koichi Suzumori**, and Takefumi Kanda***
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kansai University
3-3-35 Yamate-cho, Suita-shi, Osaka 564-8680, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
***Graduate School of National Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
The authors have previously developed a compact, light-weight air flow control valve, which realizes continuous flow control. The vibration produced by a piezoelectric device (PZT) was used to excite particles confined in a flow channel to control the valve opening for the developed control valve. Therefore, the voltage applied to the PZT can be changed to continuously control the flow rate. A new working principle was developed for the control valve to stabilize flow rate characteristics. Different types of particles were used to change the valve opening condition. A prototype was manufactured to demonstrate the effectiveness of the control valve.
-  K. Sanada and Y. Akiyama, “Power-Assist Chair Using Pneumatic Actuator,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 502–507, 2011.
-  E. Yagi, D. Harada, and M. Kobayashi, “Upper-Limb Power-Assist Control for Agriculture Load Lifting,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, pp. 716–722, 2009.
-  N. Saga, N. Saito, and J. Nagase, “Ankle Rehabilitation Device to Prevent Contracture Using a Pneumatic Balloon Actuator,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 538–543, 2011.
-  V. Oguntosin, W. S. Harwin, S. Kawamura, S. J. Nasuto, and Y. Hayashi, “Development of a Wearable Assistive Soft Robotic Device for Elbow Rehabilitation,” 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), pp. 747–752, 2015.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of Wearable Pneumatic Actuatorand Multiport Pressure Control Valve,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 529–536, 2005.
-  H. Taniguchi, H. Toyooka, T. Minatohara, M. Fukuda, and F. Zhao, “Pneumatic rubber actuators for a rehabilitation device to prevent contractures of finger joints,” 19th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, pp. 420–424, 2012.
-  M. Aliff, S. Dohta, and T. Akagi, “Simple Trajectory Control Method of Robot Arm Using Flexible Pneumatic Cylinders,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 698–705, 2015.
-  X. Li, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Design of Wearable Power AssistWear for Low Back Support Using Pneumatic Actuators,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 228–236, 2013.
-  T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Power Assist Wear Driven with Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” 15th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, pp. 539–544, 2008.
-  M. Q. Le, M. T. Pham, R. Moreau, and T. Redarce, “Comparison of a PWM and a hybrid force control for a pneumatic actuator using on/off solenoid valves,” 2010 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 1146–1151, 2010.
-  Y. Moriwakea, T. Akagia, S. Dohtaa, and F. Zhaob, “Development of low-cost pressure control type quasi-servo valve using embedded controller,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.41, pp. 493–500, 2012.
-  M. Taghizadeh, A. Ghaffari, and F. Najafi, “Improving dynamic performances of PWM-driven servo-pneumatic systems via a novel pneumatic circuit,” ISA Trans, Vol.48, pp. 512–518, 2009.
-  K. Ahn and S. Yokota “Intelligent switching control of pneumatic actuator using on/off solenoid valves,” Mechatronics, Vol.15, pp. 683–702, 2005.
-  S. Dohta, T. Akagi, Y. Masago, H. Matsushita, and Y. Zhang, “Development of Small-Sized Digital Servo Valve for Wearable Pneumatic Actuator,” Int. Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors, pp. 97–104, 2012.
-  S. Jien, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Miniaturization Design of Piezoelectric Vibration-Driven Pneumatic Unconstrained Valves,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 91–99, 2010.
-  T. Akagi, S. Dohta, and S. Katayama, “Development of Small-sized Flexible Control Valve Using Vibration Motor,” Proc.7th JFPS Int. Symposium on Fluid Power, TOYMA, pp. 2-25, 2008.
-  A. Nasir, T. Akagi, S. Dohta, and A. Ono, “Development of Small-Sized Servo Valve Controlled by Using Buckled Tube and Its Application,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 516–527, 2013.
-  D. Hirooka, K. Suzumori, and T. Kanda, “Flow control valve for pneumatic actuators using particle excitation by PZT vibrator,” Sensors and Actuators A155, pp. 285–289, 2009.
-  D. Hirooka, K. Suzumori, and T. Kanda, “Design and Evaluation of Orifice Arrangement for Particle-Excitation Flow Control Valve,” Sensors and Actuators, A171, pp. 283–291, 2011.
-  D. Hirooka, T. Yamaguchi, N. Furushiro, K. Suzumori, T. Kanda, and M. Ikoma, “Development of proportional control valve using particle excitation – Development of Prototype for Stable Flow Characteristic –,” Proc. of the 2015 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A1-B10, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.