Machining of a Rock Surface Shaver with a Piezoelectric Actuator for In situ Analysis in Lunar and Planetary Exploration
Katsushi Furutani† and Eiji Kagami
Toyota Technological Institute
12-1 Hisakata 2-chome, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya 468-8511, Japan
-  M. Ohtake, K. Furutani, T. Okada, C. Honda, Y. Kunii, and T. Kubota, “Science integrated package for in-situ analysis of SELENE-2,” Proc. 10th Space Sci. Sympo., Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan, P2-76, January 2010.
-  S. P. Gorevan, T. Myrick, K. Davis, J. J. Chau, P. Bartlett, S. Mukherjee, R. Anderson, S. W. Squyres, R. E. Arvidson, M. B. Madsen, P. Bertelsen, W. Goetz, C. S. Binau, and L. Richter, “Rock Abrasion Tool: Mars Exploration Rover mission,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.108, No.E12, ROV9-1–ROV9-8, December 2003.
-  K. Zacny, G. Paulsen, P. Chu, B. Mellerowicz, B. Yaggi, J. Klein-henz, and Jim Smith, “The Icebreaker Drill System: Sample Acquisition and Delivery for The Lunar Resource Prospecting Mission,” Proc. 46th Lunar and Planetary Sci. Conf., The Woodlands, Texas, USA, 1614, 2p. March 2015.
-  H. El-Hofy, “Advanced Machining Nontraditional and Hybrid Machining Process,” McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, pp. 15–32, March 2005.
-  K. Tada, Y. Kunii, T. Kubota, and M. Ohtake, “Evaluation of Grinding Performance by Horn in Ultrasonic Grinding System,” Proc. 47th Space Sci. Technol. Conf., Niigata, Japan, pp. 1489–1490, November 2003.
-  S. Takahasi, P. Korondi, B. Resko, and Y. Kunii, “The development of ultrasonic drilling device,” Proc. 6th Int. Sympo. Applied Machine Intelligence and Informatics, Herl’any, Slovakia, pp. 109–113, January 2008.
-  X. Bao, Y. Bar-Cohen, Z. Chang, B. P. Dolgin, S. Sherrt, D. S. Pal, S. Du, and T. Peterson, “Modeling and Computer Simulation of Ultrasonic/ Sonic Driller/ Corer (USDC),” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol.50, No.9, pp. 1147–1160, September 2003.
-  P. Harkness, M. Lucas, and A. Cardoni, “Maximization of the Effective Impulse Delivered by a High-Firequency/Low-Frequency Planetary Drill Tool,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol.58, No.11, pp. 2387–2396, November 2011.
-  K. Furutani and Y. Tagata, “Basic Structure of Small Vibratory Crusher for Planetary Exploration,” J. Jpn. Soc. Appl. Electromag. Mechanics, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 379–384, June 2009.
-  K. Furutani, H. Kamiishi, Y. Murase, T. Kubota, M. Ohtake, K. Saiki, T. Okada, H. Otake, C. Honda, H. Kurosaki, T. Sugihara, and T. Morota, “A Prototype of Percussive Rock Surface Crusher Using Solenoid for Lunar and Planetary Exploration,” Proc. Int. Sympo. Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, Turin, Italy, P-18, 8p., September 2012.
-  G. Paulsen, M. Szczesiak, M. Maksymuk, C. Santoro, and K. Zacny, “SONIC Drilling for Space Exploration,” Proc. Earth and Space 2012 Conf., Pasadena, California, USA, pp. 555–562, April 2012.
-  K. Furutani, E. Ikeda, T. Okada, K. Saiki, and H. Ohue, “Prototype Design of Wire-sawing Machine for Preliminary Experiments to Lunar and Planetary Exploration,” Materials Science Forum, Vol.773–774, pp. 392–399, November 2013.
-  C. B. Dreyer, J. R. Schwendeman, J. P. H. Steele, T. E. Carrell, A. Niedringhaus, and J. Skok, “Development of a thin section device for space exploration: Rock cutting mechanism,” Adv. Space Res., Vol.51, No.9, pp. 1674–1691, May 2013.
-  G. Paulsen, K. Zacny, C. B. Dreyer, A. Szucs, M. Szczesiak, C. Santoro, J. Craft, M. Hedlund, and J. Skok, “Robotic Instrument for Grinding Rocks Into Thin Sections (GRITS),” Adv. Space Res., Vol.51, No.11, pp. 2181–2193, June 2013.
-  N. Kong, S. Grimske, B. Röhlig, and J. P. Wulfsberg, “Flexure Based Feed Unit for Long Feed Range: Concept and Design,” Proc. 12th euspen Int. Conf., Stockholm, Sweden, Vol.1, pp. 403–406, June 2012.
-  U. Beste, S. Jacobson, and S. Hogmark, “Rock penetration into cemented carbide drill buttons during rock drilling,” Wear, Vol.264 No.11/12, pp. 1142-1151, May 2008.
-  J. E. Westraadt, J. H. Neethling, and I. Sigalas, “Characterisation of thermally degraded polycrystalline diamond,” Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard. Mater., Vol.48, pp. 286–292, January 2015.
-  M. J. O’Dogherty, “The Design of Octagonal Ring Dynamometers,” J. Agr. Eng. Res., Vol.63, No.1, pp. 9–18, January 1996.
-  Y. Chen, N. B. McLaughlin, and S. Tessier, “Double extended octagonal ring (DEOR) drawbar dynamometer,” Soil & Tillage Research, Vol.93, No.2, pp. 462–471, April 2007.
-  J. Xie, “Precision Grindability of Granite in Relation to Discrete Distribution Parameters of Microhardness and Microbrittleness,” Trans. ASME J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.132, No.4, 041007, 7p., August 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.