Omnidirectional Soft Robot Platform with Flexible Actuators for Medical Assistive Device
Mohamed Najib Ribuan*,†, Shuichi Wakimoto*, Koichi Suzumori**, and Takefumi Kanda*
*Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University
3-1-1 Tsushima-naka, Kita-ku, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
**Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1I1-60 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
This manuscript explains the employment of flexible actuators to act as a soft robot and transporting agent to assist medical X-ray examinations. Although soft robots from silicone material can be transparence and a human compliance used as medical assistive devices, soft robots have some problems: they tend to be sluggish, have long and imprecise gait trajectories, and need their control parameters to be adjusted for motion diversion. A soft robot with omnidirectional locomotion has been created, one that has a combination of pneumatic rubber legs that form a soft robot platform and an associated hardware setup. Tests have confirmed its omnidirectional locomotion ability; it has a maximum speed of 6.90 mm/s in forward locomotion and a maximum payload of 70 g. These features indicate that the robot can be used as a medical assistive device for fluoroscopy examinations.
-  A. Matsuda, T. Matsuda, K. Katanoda, T. Sobue, H. Nishimoto, and The Japan Cancer Surveillance Research Group, “Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2007: A study of 21 population-based cancer registries for the Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan (MCIJ) project,” Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2013, Oxford Uni Press, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 329-336, 2013.
-  K. J. Lee, M. Inoue, T. Otani, M. Iwasaki, S. Sasazuki, and S. Tsugane, “Gastric cancer screening and subsequent risk of gastric cancer: A large-scale population-based cohort study, with a 13-year follow-up in Japan,” Int. J. Cancer 2006, Wiley InterScience, Vol.118, pp. 2315-2321, 2005.
-  K. Shibuya, K. Sumi, T. Watanabe, K. Suzumori, and H. Oka, “Development and usefulness evaluation of a remote control pressured pillow for prone position,” Japan Radiological Technologist J., Vol.61, No.738, 2014.
-  M. Iwamura, S. Wakimoto, K. Suzumori, H. Oka, and K. Sumi, “Fundamental tests of pneumatic soft devices for pushing abdomen in stomach X-ray examibation,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, 2014.
-  M. Ribuan, K. Suzumori, and S. Wakimoto, “New pneumatic rubber leg mechanism for omnidirectional locomotion,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 222-230, 2014.
-  A. D. Greef, P. Lambert, and A. Delchambre, “Towards flexible medical instruments: Review of flexible fluidic actuators,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, pp. 311-321, 2009.
-  T. Fukuda, H. Hosokai, and M. Uemura, “Rubber gas actuator by hydrogen storage alloy for in-pipe inspection mobile robot with flexible structure,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1847-1852, 1989.
-  A. Slatkin and J. Burdick, “The development of robotic endoscope,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots & System, pp. 162-171, 1995.
-  M. Carrozza, L. Lencioni, B. Magnani, and P. Dario, “A microrobot for colonoscopy,” Proc. Of Int. Symp. On Micromachine and Human Science, pp. 223-228, 1996.
-  L. Phee, D. Accoto, A. Menciasso, C. Stefanini, M. Carrozza, and P. Dario, “Analsyis and development of locomotion devices for the gastrointestinal tract,” IEEE Tran. On Biomedical Eng., Vol.49, No.6, pp. 613-616, 2002.
-  G. Yan, P. Zan, and B. Huang, “A flexible miniature robot based on fuzzy wavelet neural network control,” IEEE Conf. on Industrial ELectronoics and Applications, pp. 1302-1307, 2007.
-  S. Ohno, C. Hiroki, and W. Yu, “Design and manipulation of a suction-based micro robot for moving in abdominal cavity,” Advanced Robotic, Vol.24, No.12, pp. 1741-1761, 2010.
-  K. Suzumori and S. Asaad, “A novel pneumatic rubber actuator for mobile robot bases,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1001-1006, 1996.
-  K. Suzumori, T. Hama, and T. Kanda, “New pneumatic rubber actuator to assist colonoscope insertion,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Roboticss and Automation, pp. 1824-1829, 2006.
-  H. Onoe, K. Suzumori, and T. Kanda, “Development of tetra chamber actuator,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 777-782, 2007.
-  H. Onoe, K. Suzumori, and S. Wakimoto, “Optimum design of pneumatic multi-chamber rubber tube actuator generating traveling deformation waves for colonoscope insertion,” Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Adv. Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 31-36, 2008.
-  S. Wakimoto and K. Suzumori, “Fabrication and basic experiment of pneumatic multi-chamber rubber tube actuator for assisting colonoscope insertion,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3260-3265, 2010.
-  K. Ozaki, S. Wakimoto, K. Suzumori, and Y. Yamamoto, “Novel design of rubber tube actuator improving mountability and drivability for assisting colonoscope insertion,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3263-3268, 2011.
-  A. Menciassi, J. Park, S. Lee, S. Gorini, P. Dario, and J. Park, “Robotic solutions and mechanism for semi-autonomous endoscope,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1379-1384, 2002.
-  C. Onal, X. Chen, G. Whitesides, and D. Rus, “Soft mobile robot with on-board chemical pressure generation,” Int. Symp. on Robotics research, pp. 1-16, 2011.
-  C. Onal and D. Rus, “A modular approach to soft robots,” IEEE RAS/EMBS Int. Conf. on Biomadical Robotics and Biomechatronics, pp. 1038-1045, 2012.
-  T. Yanagida, K. Adachi, and T. Nakamura, “Development of bellow-type artificial rubber muscle and application to peristaltic crawling endoscopic robot,” J. of Robitcs and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 748-754, 2013.
-  J. He, L. Xu, X. Song, M. Luo, and J. Chu, “The driving mechanism research of six unit soft robots,” IEEE Conf. on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, pp. 79-83, 2013.
-  K. Suzumori, “Elastic materials producing compliant robots,” J. of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.18, No.1-2, pp. 135-140, 1996.
-  R. Shepherd, F. Ilievski, W. Choi, S. Morin, A. Stokes, A. Mazzeo, et al, “Multigait soft robot,” Proc. Of National Academy of Science of the United States of America, pp. 20400-20403, 2011.
-  I. Godage, T. Nanayakkara, and D. Caldwell, “Locomotion with continuum limbs,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 293-298, 2012.
-  J. Florez, B. Shih, Y. Bai, and J. Paik, “Soft pneumatic actuators for legged locomotion,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 27-34, 2014.
-  S. Morin, R. Shepherd, S. Kwok, A. Stokes, A. Nemiroski, and G. Whitesides, “Camouflage and display for soft machine,” Science Magazine, Vol.337, No.828, pp. 828-832, 2012.
-  Y. Koizumi, M. Shibata, and S. Hirai, “Rolling tensegrity driven by pneumatic soft actutoars,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1988-1993, 2012.