Cutting Characteristics of Binderless Diamond Tools in High-Speed Turning of Ti-6Al-4V – Availability of Single-Crystal and Nano-Polycrystalline Diamond –
Abang Mohammad Nizam Abang Kamaruddin*1,*2,†, Akira Hosokawa*3, Takashi Ueda*4, and Tatsuaki Furumoto*3
*1Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Malaysia
*2Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa 920-1192, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
*3Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
*4Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
-  E. O. Ezugwu, and Z. M. Wang, “Titanium alloys and their machinability – a review,” J. Material Processing Technology, Vol.68, pp. 262-274, 1997.
-  Z. A. Zoya, and R. Krishnamurthy, “The performance of CBN tools in the machining of titanium alloys,” J. Materials Processing Technology, Vol.100, pp. 80-86, 2000.
-  N. Narutaki, and A. Murakoshi, “Study on machining of titanium alloys,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.32, Issue 1, pp. 65-69, 1983.
-  C. J. Pretorius, S. L. Soo, D. K. Aspinwall, P. M. Harden, R. M'Saoubi, and A. L. Mantle, “Tool wear behaviour and workpiece surface integrity when turning Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-6Mo with polycrystalline diamond tooling,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.64, Issue 1, pp. 109-112, 2015.
-  R. B. da Silva, A. R. Machado, E. O. Ezugwu, J. Bonny, and W. F. Sales, “Tool life and wear mechanisms in high speed machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy with PCD tools under various coolant pressures,” J. Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, pp. 1459-1464, 2013.
-  M. Rahman, Z.-G. Eang, and Y.-S. Wong, “A review on high-speed machining of titanium alloys,” JSME Int. J. (C), Vol.49, No.1, pp. 11-20, 2006.
-  A. Jawaid, C. H. Che-Haron, and A. Abdullah, “Tool wear characteristic in turning of titanium alloy Ti-6246,” J. Material Processing Technology, Vol.92-93, pp. 329-334, 1999.
-  S. Zhang, J. F. Li, J. X. Deng, and Y. S. Li, “Investigation on diffusion wear during high speed machining Ti-6Al-4V alloy with straight tungsten carbide tools,” Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.44, pp. 17-25, 2009.
-  P. D. Hurtung, and B. M. Kramer, “Tool wear in titanium machining,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.31, Issue 1, pp. 75-80, 1982.
-  E. O. Ezugwu, R. B. Da Silva, J. Bonney, and A. R. Machado, “Evaluation of the performance of CBN tools when turning Ti-6Al-4V alloy with high pressure coolant supplies,” Int. J. Machine Tool & Manufacture, Vol.45, pp. 1009-1014, 2005.
-  F. Nabhani, “Wear mechanism of ultra-hard cutting tool materials,” J. Material Processing Technology, Vol.115, pp. 402-412, 2001.
-  W. Konig, and A. Neises, “Turning TiAL6V4 with PCD,” Industrial Diamond Review, Vol.2, No.93, pp. 85-88, 1993.
-  K. Hirosaki, K. Shintani, H. Kato, F. Asakura, and K. Matsuo, “High speed machining of bio-titanium alloy with a binder-less PcBN tool,” JSME Int. J. (C), Vol.47, No.1, pp. 14-20, 2004.
-  Z. G. Wang, Y. S. Wong, and M. Rahman, “High-speed milling of titanium alloys using binderless CBN tools,” Int. J. Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.45, pp. 105-114, 2005.
-  F. Klocke, W. Konig, and K. Gerschwiller, “AMST'96 CISM Courses and Lectures 372,” E. Kuljanic (Ed.), Springer Vertag, Wein, pp. 7-21, 1996.
-  H. Nishimoto, R. Tanaka, A. Hosokawa, T. Ueda, and T. Furumoto, “Development of tool edge temperature measurement method in wet cutting,” J. Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 916-922, 2012.
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, R. Tanaka, and T. Ueda, “Cutting performance of PVD-coated carbide and CBN tools in hardmilling,” Int. J. Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 127-132, 2011.
-  M. Okada, N. Asakawa, E. Sentoku, R. M'Saoubi, and T. Ueda, “Cutting performance of an indexable insert drill for difficult-to-cut materials under supplied oil mist,” Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.72, No.1-4, pp. 475-485, 2014.
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, N. Asakawa, and T. Ueda, “End milling of stainless steel and titanium alloy in an oil mist environment,” Int. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.74, No.9-12, pp. 1255-1266, 2014.
-  R. Tanaka, A. Hosokawa, T. Furumoto, and T. Ueda, “Effects of Tool Edge Geometry on Cutting Temperature in Continuous Cutting of Case Hardened Steel,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 313-320, 2013.
-  E. Kuljanic, M. Fioretti, L. Beltrame, and F. Miani, “Milling titanium compressor blades with PCD cutter,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.47, Issue 1, pp. 61-64, 1998.
-  D. G. Pettifor, “Bonding and Structure of Molecules and Solids,” Oxford University Press, pp. 12-13, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.