Two-Dimensional Dynamic Stress Behavior of Sheet Glass Caused by a Continuous Step Input from a Cylindrical Loader
Akira Chiba†, Hirofumi Hidai, Souta Matsusaka, and Noboru Morita
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The distribution of dynamic stress in sheet glass, stress which is caused by a continuous step input from a cylindrical loader, was estimated by considering elastic wave propagation. In modeling the dynamic stress behavior, we used a two-dimensional dynamic stress model combining a plane stress model and the equations of motion. A finite-difference method was used in the numerical calculation. Under damped vibration mode conditions, the dynamic stress behavior in the sheet glass was investigated in both the depth (Z) and horizontal (X) directions. The stress component in the Z direction changed from tensile to compressive near the outside glass surface of the contact stress distribution. The stress component in the X direction changed from compressive to tensile in the Z direction under the glass surface at the center of the contact stress distribution. The overshoot of the dynamic stress in the Z direction was 1.8 times that of the steady stress during an elapsed time of less than 1 ns from the beginning of loading.
-  N. Tomei, K. Maekawa, H. Wakayama, and H. Tomimori, “A study on scribing with a breakless wheel 1st report: Observations of crack propagation using a high-speed camera,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.53, No.11, pp. 684-689, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  A. Hada, N. Morita, S. Yamada, and N. Takano, “Rolling frictional behavior and scribing phenomenon of scribing wheel for cutting sheet glass,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.56, No.4, pp. 250-255, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  S. Matsusaka, G. Mizobuchi, N. Morita, H. Hidai, and A. Chiba, “Numerical analysis of stress distribution during mechanical cleaving of glass using scribing wheel,” J. Jpn. Soc. Abras. Technol., Vol.58, No.2, pp. 109-114, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Liao, G. Yang, and Y. Hsu, “Vibration assisted scribing process on LCD glass substrate,” Int. J. Mach. Tool Manu., Vol.50, pp. 532-537, 2010.
-  S. Matsusaka, G. Mizobuchi, H. Hidai, A. Chiba, N. Morita, and T. Onuma, “Observation of crack propagation behavior and visualization of internal stress field during wheel scribing of glass sheet,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.81, No.3, pp. 270-275, 2015.
-  K. Yahata, K. Yamamoto, and E. Ohmura, “Crack propagation analysis in laser scribing of glass,” J. of Laser Micro/Nanoengineering, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 109-114, 2010.
-  A. Chiba, S. Matsusaka, H. Hidai, and N. Morita, “Study of thermal stress behavior of sheet glass during laser irradiation using one-dimensional elastic wave model,” J. Adv. Mech. Des., Syst., Manuf., Vol.8, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2014.
-  Y. Wang, and J. Lin, “Characterization of the laser cleaving on glass sheets with a line-shape laser beam,” Opt. Laser Technol., Vol.39, pp. 892-899, 2007.
-  Y. L. Kuo, and J. Lin, “Laser cleaving on glass sheets with multiple laser beams,” Opt. Laser Eng. Vol.46, No.5. pp. 388-395, 2008.
-  X. Zhao, Z. Li, C. Esveld, and R. Dollevoet, “The dynamic stress of the wheel-rail contact,” Proc. of the 2nd IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Continuum Mechanics (CM'07), Portoroz, Slovenia, May 15–17, pp. 127-133, 2007.
-  M. Takahashi, N. Okabe, and N. Izumi, “Contact strength and probabilistic estimation of glass,” J. Soc. Mater. Sci. Japan Vol.53, No.2, pp. 175-181, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  Sutikno, H. Homma, and S. Mihradi, “Analysis on contact phenomenon under particle impact by hybrid method,” J. Solid Mech. Mater. Eng., Vol.3, No.8, pp. 1010-1021, 2009.
-  Y. Abe, M. Takahashi, X. Zhu, and N. Okabe, “Evaluation and 3D-fem analysis for contact strength of ceramic plate in contact with a round bar,” J. Solid Mech. Mater. Eng., Vol.1, No.4, pp. 490-497, 2007.
-  T. Doca and F. M. A. Pires, “Analysis of a cylinder-to-flat contact problem at finite elasto-plastic strains,” Tribol. Int. Vol.79, pp. 92-98, 2014.
-  S. K. Vanimisetti and R. Narasimhan, “A numerical analysis of spherical indentation response of thin hard film on soft substrates,” Int. J. Solids Struct., Vol.43, No.20, pp. 6180-6193, 2006.
-  J. Ismail, F. Zaïri, M. Naït-Abdelaziz, and Z. Azari, “Computational modeling of static indentation-induced damage in glass,” Comput. Mater. Sci. Vol.42, No.3, pp. 407-415, 2008.
-  H. Lin, S. J. Bull, and P. M. Taylor, “Simulation of the deformation and stress distribution within a flexible material pressed by a pinch gripper,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.169, No.3, pp. 357-363, 2005.
-  A. Garinei, and R. Marsili, “Thermoelastic stress analysis of the contact between a flat plate and a cylinder,” Measurement Vol.52, pp. 102-110, 2014.
-  R. Pandiyarajan., M. S. Starvin, and K. C. Ganesh, “Contact stress distribution of large diameter ball bearing ssing Hertzian elliptical contact theory,” Procedia Eng., Vol.38, pp. 264-269, 2012.
-  A. Chiba, M. Sugawara, and I. Nishiyama, “Dynamic model for predicting in-plane displacement of extreme ultraviolet mask due to chucking,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol.21, No.6, , pp. 3046-3051, 2003.
-  K. Mori, “Two-fluid simulations of shock wave propagation and shock-bubble interaction in collisionless plasma,” Phys. Plasmas, Vol.19, No.3, 032311, 2012.
-  S. H. Ko, S. G. Ryu, N. Misra, H. Pan, C. P. Grigoropoulos, N. Kladias, E. Panides, and G. A. Domoto, “Laser induced plane acoustic wave generation, propagation, and interaction with rigid structures in water,” J. Appl. Phys., Vol.104, 073104, 2008.
-  J. M. Alegre and I. I. Cuesta, “Some aspects about the crack growth FEM simulations under mixed-mode loading,” Int. J. Fatig., Vol.32, No.7, pp. 1090-1095, 2010.
-  A. Chiba, H. Hidai, S. Matsusaka, and N. Morita, “Dynamic thermoelastic behavior in sheet glass generated by pulsed laser irradiation using a one-dimensional model,” Int. J. of Autom. Technol. Vol.8, No.6, pp. 847-854, 2014.
-  Z. Wei, W. Xu, B. Tao, J. Son, L. Wei, and Y. Lu, “Crown Shaping Technique of Bearing Raceway by Electrochemical Mechanical Machining,” Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., Vol.8, pp. 2238-2253, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.