Experimental Investigation of Abrasive Waterjet Machining of Titanium Graphite Laminates
M. Ramulu*,†, Vara Isvilanonda*, Rishi Pahuja*, and Mohamed Hashish**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington
Box 352600, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
**Flow International, Kent WA, USA
High temperature Fiber Metal Laminate – Titanium/Graphite (Ti/Gr) is an advanced material system, developed to meet the high temperature requirements in aerospace applications. High specific strength and stiffness of composite core along with its protection from aggressive environment by tough titanium alloy sheets qualify FMLs for a promising alternative material where metallic and composites overcome each other’s limitations. However, industrial employability of this three phase system is often limited by the machining challenges posed by the difference in material removal mechanisms of Titanium alloy, PIXA thermoplastic polyimide resin and graphite fibers. An experimental investigation was conducted to evaluate the machinability of 1 mm thick Ti/Gr laminate sheets through Abrasive Waterjet (AWJ) machining process in terms of kerf characteristics and material removal rate. The parametric influence of AWJ operating variables on machining performance was studied by systematically measuring operating variables (traverse speed and Abrasive flow rate) using fully crossed Design of experiment (DOE) scheme, and statistically analyzing using ANOVA (Analysis of variance) technique. Empirical models were developed to quantify these effects and predict the influence of process parameters on material removal rate, kerf taper, entry damage width and overcut in straight cutting of Ti/Gr sheets.
-  L. R. Le Bourlegat, C. A. Damato, D. F. da Silva, E. C. Botelho, and L. C. Pardini, “Processing and mechanical characterization of titanium-graphite hybrid laminates,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol.29, No.22, pp. 3392-3400, Doi: 10.1177/0731684410377541,2010.
-  D. A. Burianek, A. E. Giannakopoulos, and S. M. Spearing, “Modeling of facesheet crack growth in titanium-graphite hybrid laminates,” Part I, Eng. Fract. Mech, 70,pp. 775-798, 2003.
-  D. A. Burianek, “Fatigue Damage in Titanium Graphite Hybrid Laminates,” Master of Science Thesis, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1998.
-  M. Ramulu, P. B. Stickler, and N. S. McDevitt, “Influence of Processing Methods on the Tensile and Flexure Properties of High Temperature Composites,” Composite Science and Technology, Vol.64, pp. 1763-1772, 2004.
-  L. Edward, W. S. Johnson, and S. E. Lowthere, “An Evaluation of Two Fabrication Methods for Hybrid Titanium Composite Laminates,” Composite Materials: Testing and Design, Vol.13, pp. 202-214, 1997.
-  D. Kim and M. Ramulu, “Cutting and Drilling Characteristics of Hybrid Titanium Composite Laminate,” Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol.33,pp. 445-452, 2005.
-  T. Inoue and M. Hagino, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with Carbon Fiber Distribution,” Int. J. of Automation Technology,Vol.7, No.3, pp. 285-291, 2013.
-  H. Inoue, M. Taya, and M. Ramulu, “Observation on the Fiber Direction and the Three- Dimensionality Cut Surface Condition of FRP by Using Waterjet Machine,” Reinforced Plastics, Vol.36, No.12, pp. 467-472, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  S. Abrate and D. A. Walton, “Machining of composite materials. Part I: Traditional methods,” Composites Manufacturing, Vol.3,pp. 75-83, doi: 10.1016/0956-7143(92)90119-F,1992.
-  M. Hashish, “AWJ Trimming of 787 Composite Stingers,” 2010 SAMPE Proceedings, Seattle, WA, www.sampe.orb, 2010.
-  M. Hashish., “AWJ Trimming and Drilling of Composite for Aircraft Structures,” Proceedings of the 9th Pacific Rim International Conference on Water Jetting Technology, November 20-23, Koriyama, Japan,2009.
-  M. Hashish, “Machining of Advanced Composites with Abrasive-Waterjets,” Manufacturing Reviews, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 142-150, 1989.
-  M. Ramulu and D. Arola, “The Influence of Abrasive Waterjet Cutting Conditions on the Surface Quality of Graphite/Epoxy Laminates,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.34, No.3, pp. 295-313, 1994.
-  M. Ramulu and D. Arola, “Waterjet and Abrasive Waterjet Cutting of Unidirectional Graphite/Epoxy Composite,” Composites, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 299-308,1993.
-  D. Arola and M. Ramulu,“A study of Kerf Characteristics in Abrasive Waterjet Machining of Graphite/Epoxy Composite,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol.118, pp. 256-265,1996.
-  M. Ramulu, M. G. Jenkins, and Z. Guo, “Abrasive Water Jet Machining Mechanisms in Continuous-Fiber Ceramic Composites,” Journal of Composites Technology & Research, JCTRER, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 82-91,2001.
-  M. Hashish, “Waterjet Machining of Advanced Composites,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Marcel Decker, NY, Vol.10, No.6, pp. 1129-1152, 1995.
-  G. Hamatani and M. Ramulu, “Machinability of High Temperature Composites by Abrasive Waterjet,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol.112, pp. 381-386, 1990.
-  S. Paul, A. M. Hoogstrate, and R. Van Praag, “Abrasive water jet machining of glass fibre metal laminates,”J. Eng. Manuf. Part B, Vol.216, pp. 1459-1469, 2002.
-  A. Alberdi, T. Artaza, A. Suárez, A. Rivero, and F. Girot, “An experimental study on abrasive waterjet cutting of CFRP/Ti6Al4V stacks for drilling operations,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., pp. 1-14, doi: 10.1007/s00170-015-8192-x,2015.
-  M. Ramulu, S. P. Raju, H. Inoue, and J. Zeng, “Hydro-Abrasive Erosion Characteristics of 30 vol% SiCp/6061-T6 Composite at Shallow Angles,” Wear, Vol.166, No.1, pp. 55-63,1993.
-  M. Ramulu, “Dynamic Photoeleastic Investigation on the Mechanics of Waterjet and Abrasive Waterjet Machining,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.19, No.1-3, pp. 43-65,1993.
-  R. Kovacevic, M. Hashish, R. Mohan, M. Ramulu, T. J. Kim, and E. S. Geskin, “State of the art of Research and Development in Abrasive Waterjet Machining,” ASME Journal Manufacturing Science and Engineering (Formerly known as Journal of Engineering for Industry), Vol.119, No.4B, pp. 776-785,1997.
-  Y. W. Seo, M. Ramulu, and M. Hashish, “Cost Analysis of Abrasive Waterjet Cutting: Thin Sheet Materials,” Proceedings of SAMPE, Fall Conference 2005, (37th ISTC).
-  S. E. Krajca and M. Ramulu, “Abrasive Waterjet Piercing of Holes in Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Laminate,” Advancing affordable Material Technology, Proceedings of 33rd Annual SAMPE Technical Conference,pp. 1327-1339, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.