High-Quality End Milling of CFRP – Inclination Milling with High-Helix End Mill –
Akira Hosokawa*,†, Naoya Hirose**, Takashi Ueda***, Tomohiro Koyano*, and Tatsuaki Furumoto*
*Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Kanazawa University
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
**Hokuriku Electric Power Company, Ishikawa, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
Side milling tests of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastics) containing thermosetting resin are carried out by TiAlN/AlCrN-coated, H2-free DLC (diamond-like carbon)-coated, and CVD diamond-coated carbide end mills without coolant. Two types of end mills having different helix angles of 30° and 60° are used. The film thickness and surface smoothness are varied for the DLC-coated end mills. The cutting characteristics are evaluated by tool wear and surface integrity (i.e., 3D profiles of the machined surface, generation of fluffing, delamination, and pull-out of the carbon fibers). The cutting force and tool flank temperature are also examined for the two types of CFRP composites and the helix angle of the end mill. “Inclination milling,” in which the end mill is tilted so that the resultant cutting force acts parallel to the work surface, is proposed as a novel technique to be used with a high-helix angle end mill. This unique approach enables the reduction of tool wear and improves the surface integrity of machined CFRP surfaces.
-  R. Teti, “Machining of Composite Materials,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.51, Issue 1, pp. 611–634, 2002.
-  K. Dransfield, C. Baillie, and Y.-W. Mai, “Improving the Delamination Resistance of CFRP by Stitching – A Review,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.50, No.3, pp. 305–317, 1994.
-  J. P. Davim and P. Reis, “Damage and Dimensional Precision on Milling Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastics Using Design Experiments,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.160, No.2, pp. 160–167, 2005.
-  W. Hintze, D. Hartmann, and C. Schütte, “Occurrence and Propagation of Delamination During the Machining of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRPs) – An exprimental study,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.71, No.15, pp. 1719–1726, 2011.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle on CFRP Cutting Characteristics by End-Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292–299, 2013.
-  R. Zemann, L. Kain, and F. Bleicher, “Vibration Assisted Machining of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymers,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.69, pp. 536–543, 2014.
-  O. Pecat and E. Brinksmeier, “Tool Wear Analyses in Low Frequency Vibration Assisted Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Material,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.14, pp. 142–147, 2014.
-  T. Ishida, K. Noma, Y. Kakinuma, T. Aoyama, S. Hamada, H. Ogawa, and T. Higaino, “Helical Milling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics Using Ultrasonic Vibration and Liquid Nitrogen,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.24, pp. 13–18, 2014.
-  Y. Karpat and N. Polat, “Mechanistic Force Modelling for Milling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers with Double Helix Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.62, Issue 1, pp. 95–98, 2013.
-  P. S. Sreejith, R. Krishnamurthy, S. K. Malhotra and K. Narayanasamy, “Evaluation of PCD Tool Performance During Machining of Carbon/Phenolic Ablative Composites,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.104, Nos.1-2, pp. 53–58, 2000.
-  A. Faraz, D. Biermann, and K. Weinert, “Cutting Edge Rounding: an Innovative Tool Wear Criterion in Drilling CFRP Composite Laminates,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, No.15, pp. 1185–1196, 2009.
-  E. Brinksmeier, S. Fangmann, and R. Rentsch, “Drilling of Composites and Resulting Surface Integrity,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.60, Issue 1, pp. 57–60, 2011.
-  B. Denkena, D. Boehnke, and J. H. Dege, “Helical Milling of CFRP – Titanium Layer Compounds,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.48, Issue 1, pp. 64–69, 2008.
-  O. Pecat, R. Rentsch, and E. Brinksmeier, “Influence of Milling Process Parameters on the Surface Integrity of CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 466–470, 2012.
-  S. L. Sooa, I. S. Shyha, T. Barnetta, D. K. Aspinwall, and W.-M. Sim, “Grinding Performance and Workpiece Integrity when Superabrasive Edge Routing Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Composites,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, Issue 1, pp. 295–298, 2012.
-  Tray TORAYCAtexttrademark Technical Data Sheet, T320, T800S.
-  A. Hosokawa, K. Shimamura, and T. Ueda, “Cutting Characteristics of PVD-coated Tools Deposited by Unbalanced Magnetron Sputtering Method,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.62, Issue 1, pp. 95–98, 2013.
-  W. Y. H. Liew, “Low-speed Milling of Stainless Steel with TiAlN Single-layer and TiAlN/AlCrN Nano-multilayer Coated Carbide Tools under Different Lubrication Conditions,” Wear, Vol.269, pp. 617–631, 2010.
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, R. Tanaka, and T. Ueda, “Cutting Performance of PVD-coated Carbide and CBN Tools in Hardmilling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 127–132, 2011.
-  A. Hosokawa, N. Hirose, T. Ueda, and T. Furumoto, “High-quality Machining of CFRP with High Helix End Mill,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.63, Issue 1, pp. 89–92, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.