High-Quality End Milling of CFRP – Inclination Milling with High-Helix End Mill –
Akira Hosokawa*,†, Naoya Hirose**, Takashi Ueda***, Tomohiro Koyano*, and Tatsuaki Furumoto*
*Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Kanazawa University
Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920-1192, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
**Hokuriku Electric Power Company, Ishikawa, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
-  R. Teti, “Machining of Composite Materials,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.51, Issue 1, pp. 611–634, 2002.
-  K. Dransfield, C. Baillie, and Y.-W. Mai, “Improving the Delamination Resistance of CFRP by Stitching – A Review,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.50, No.3, pp. 305–317, 1994.
-  J. P. Davim and P. Reis, “Damage and Dimensional Precision on Milling Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastics Using Design Experiments,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.160, No.2, pp. 160–167, 2005.
-  W. Hintze, D. Hartmann, and C. Schütte, “Occurrence and Propagation of Delamination During the Machining of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRPs) – An exprimental study,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.71, No.15, pp. 1719–1726, 2011.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle on CFRP Cutting Characteristics by End-Milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292–299, 2013.
-  R. Zemann, L. Kain, and F. Bleicher, “Vibration Assisted Machining of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymers,” Procedia Engineering, Vol.69, pp. 536–543, 2014.
-  O. Pecat and E. Brinksmeier, “Tool Wear Analyses in Low Frequency Vibration Assisted Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Material,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.14, pp. 142–147, 2014.
-  T. Ishida, K. Noma, Y. Kakinuma, T. Aoyama, S. Hamada, H. Ogawa, and T. Higaino, “Helical Milling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics Using Ultrasonic Vibration and Liquid Nitrogen,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.24, pp. 13–18, 2014.
-  Y. Karpat and N. Polat, “Mechanistic Force Modelling for Milling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers with Double Helix Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.62, Issue 1, pp. 95–98, 2013.
-  P. S. Sreejith, R. Krishnamurthy, S. K. Malhotra and K. Narayanasamy, “Evaluation of PCD Tool Performance During Machining of Carbon/Phenolic Ablative Composites,” J. of Materials Proc. Technology, Vol.104, Nos.1-2, pp. 53–58, 2000.
-  A. Faraz, D. Biermann, and K. Weinert, “Cutting Edge Rounding: an Innovative Tool Wear Criterion in Drilling CFRP Composite Laminates,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, No.15, pp. 1185–1196, 2009.
-  E. Brinksmeier, S. Fangmann, and R. Rentsch, “Drilling of Composites and Resulting Surface Integrity,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.60, Issue 1, pp. 57–60, 2011.
-  B. Denkena, D. Boehnke, and J. H. Dege, “Helical Milling of CFRP – Titanium Layer Compounds,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.48, Issue 1, pp. 64–69, 2008.
-  O. Pecat, R. Rentsch, and E. Brinksmeier, “Influence of Milling Process Parameters on the Surface Integrity of CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 466–470, 2012.
-  S. L. Sooa, I. S. Shyha, T. Barnetta, D. K. Aspinwall, and W.-M. Sim, “Grinding Performance and Workpiece Integrity when Superabrasive Edge Routing Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Composites,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, Issue 1, pp. 295–298, 2012.
-  Tray TORAYCAtexttrademark Technical Data Sheet, T320, T800S.
-  A. Hosokawa, K. Shimamura, and T. Ueda, “Cutting Characteristics of PVD-coated Tools Deposited by Unbalanced Magnetron Sputtering Method,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.62, Issue 1, pp. 95–98, 2013.
-  W. Y. H. Liew, “Low-speed Milling of Stainless Steel with TiAlN Single-layer and TiAlN/AlCrN Nano-multilayer Coated Carbide Tools under Different Lubrication Conditions,” Wear, Vol.269, pp. 617–631, 2010.
-  M. Okada, A. Hosokawa, R. Tanaka, and T. Ueda, “Cutting Performance of PVD-coated Carbide and CBN Tools in Hardmilling,” Int. J. of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 127–132, 2011.
-  A. Hosokawa, N. Hirose, T. Ueda, and T. Furumoto, “High-quality Machining of CFRP with High Helix End Mill,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.63, Issue 1, pp. 89–92, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.