A Damage-Free Machining Method for CFRP Without Feedback Control Systems
Yasuo Kondo*,† and Satoshi Sakamoto**
4-3-16 Jhonan, Yonezawa 992-8510, Yamagata, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
**Yokohama National University, Yokohama, Japan
A damage-free cutting method called the constant- load feeding method is proposed as a high-precision machining method in carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) cutting. The constant-load feeding method can minimize cutting defects such as burrs and scuffing during diamond-saw cutting. In addition, there was no apparent cutting damage to the cutting surface from drilling with a high-speed steel twist drill. The cutting resistance was kept at a constant value during the entire process. The constant-load feeding can self-regulate the optimal tool feed rate to realize damage-free machining of CFRP composites without any feedback control systems based on the cutting-force.
-  I. Verpoest, T. C. Thanh, and S. Lomov, “The TECABS project: development of manufacturing, simulation and design technologies for a carbon fiber composite car,” The 9th Japan Int. SAMPE symposium, pp. 56-61, 2005.
-  H. Arisawa, S. Akama, H. Niitani, “High performance cutting and grinding technology for CFRP,” Mitsubishi Heavy Industry Review, Vol.4, pp. 3-9, 2012.
-  H. Ohzeki, H. Hosoi, F. Arai, “Drilling of CFRP Composites with Feedback Control Based on Cutting Force,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 52-64, 2016.
-  H. Hocheng and C. C. Tsao, “The Path Towards Delamination-Free Drilling of Composite Materials,” J of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.167, pp. 251-264, 2005.
-  A. T. Marques, L. M. Durão, A. G. Magalhães, J. F. Silva, and J. M. R. S. Tavares, “Delamination Analysis of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Laminates: Evaluation of a Special Step Drill,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.69, pp. 2376-2382, 2009.
-  C. C. Tsao and H. Hocheng, “Taguchi Analysis of Delamination Associated with Various Drill Bits in Drilling of Composite Material,” Int. J of Machine Tools &Manufacture, Vol.44, pp. 1085-1090, 2004.
-  H. Hocheng and C. C. Tsao, “Effects of Special Drill Bits on Drilling-Induced Delamination of Composite Materials,” Int. J of Machine Tools &Manufacture, Vol.46, pp. 1403-1416, 2006.
-  H. Hocheng and C. C. Tsao, “Comprehensive Analysis of Delamination in Drilling of Composite Materials with Various Drill Bits,” J of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.140, pp. 335-339, 2003.
-  C. C. Tsao and H. Hocheng, “Evaluation of Thrust Force and Surface Roughness in Drilling Composite Material Using Taguchi Analysis and Neural Network,” J of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.203, pp. 342-348, 2008.
-  C.C. Tsao, “Investigation into the Effects of Drilling Parameters on Delamination by Various Step-Core Drills,” J of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.206, pp. 405-411, 2008.
-  X. Wang, L. J. Wang, and J. P. Tao, “Investigation on Thrust Force in Vibration Drilling of Fiber-Reinforced Plastics,” J of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.148, pp. 239-244, 2004.
-  L. B. Zhang, L. J. Wang, X. Y. Liu, H. W. Zhao, X. Wang, and H. Y. Luo, “Mechanical Model for Predicting Thrust and Torque in Vibration Drilling Fiber-Reinforced Composite Materials,” Int. J of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.41, pp. 641-657, 2001.
-  W. Koenig, C. Wulf, P. Grass, and H. Willerscheid, “Machining of Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Annuals of the CIRP, Vol.34, pp. 537-548, 1985.
-  K. Krishnamurthy and R. Stone, “A Neural Network Thrust Force Controller to Minimize Delamination during Drilling of Graphite-Epoxy Laminate,” Int. J of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.36, No.9, pp. 985-1003, 1996.
-  H. Ohzeki and F. Arai, “Basic Study on Feedback Control of Glass Cutting Processes Based on Cutting Forces,” Proc. of the 4th CIRP Int. Conf. on High Performance Cutting, Vol.1, pp. 85-90, 2010.
-  R. Iwai, “Force Control Servo System to Realize High Precision and High-Speed Response,” Press Forming J., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 41-48, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  D. B. Miracle and S. L. Donaldson, “ASM Handbook Vol.21: Composites,” pp. 646-650, ASM Int., 2001.
-  W. C. Chen, “Some Experimental Investigations in the Drilling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates,” Int. J of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.37, pp. 1097-1108, 1997.
-  Y. Kondo et al., “Proposal of constant load feeding method as a high precision cutting tool for CFRP,” Applied Mechanics & Materials, Vol.806, pp. 209-214, 2015.
-  Y. Kondo et al., “Effect of cutting force control on cutting characteristics of CFRP in diamond saw cutting,” Key Eng. Materials, Vol.656-657, pp. 214-219, 2015.