Dust Collection Validity and Effect of Hole Shape Accuracy of CFRP with Developed Hollow-Type Drill and Dust Collector
Masahiro Hagino*1,†, Takashi Inoue*2, Masanobu Mizoguchi*3, Wataru Aoki*4, and Fumiaki Matsumoto*5
*1Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology
Tsuyama College, 624-1, Numa, Tsuyama, Okayama 708-8509, Japan
†Corresponding author, E-mail: email@example.com
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Daido University, Nagoya, Japan
*3Department of Integrated Mechanical Engineering, Daido University, Nagoya, Japan
*4BTT Company, Limited, Nagoya, Japan
*5UHT Corporation, Aichi, Japan
The drilling of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) has many important aspects, such as collecting the fine cutting chips. Serious problems relating to machining accuracy can arise when the fine cutting chips diffused into the air are deposited or mixed in the sliding surface and spindle unit of a machine tool. Moreover, the environmental aspects of fine cutting chips can seriously affect the health and safety of workers. Our group has developed a new hollow-type drilling device with a cyclone-type dust collection system, which aspirates and ejects fine cutting chips from a penetration hole in the central part of the drill shank to outside the cutting area. We produced the tools with drills both without a point angle for the counter-boring hole processing and with a point angle for general drilling. In this study the effect of the dust collection rate for cutting chip and the drilling hole shape accuracy are evaluated for the hollow-type drill with two different cutting edge shapes. The results demonstrate the possibility of suppressing the occurrence of fine cutting chips when the hollow-type drill edge is similar to the shape of general twist drill edges. The hole-finish surface properties were improved, and we obtained a higher dust collection rate.
-  T. Inoue, M. Hagino, M. Matsui, and L. W. Gu, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials with End Milling,” Journal of the Key Engineering Materials, Vol.407-408, pp. 710-713, 2009.
-  Y. Sawada, “New Introduction to Carbon Material 2.2,” Carbon Fiber Society of Japan, pp. 91-98, 1996.
-  N. Shimizu, “Development Status of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Laser Review, Vol.38, No.8, pp. 603-608, 2010.
-  T. Inoue and M. Hagino, “Cutting Characteristics of CFRP Materials With Carbon Fiber Distribution,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 285-291, 2013.
-  A. Koplev, A. Lystrup, and T. Vorm, “The cutting process, chips, and cutting forces in machining CFRP,” J. of Composites, Vol.14, pp. 371-376, 1983.
-  M. Hagino, T. Inoue, A. G. Olabi, W. Aoki, and F. Matsumoto, “New Machine Tool on Collecting Cutting Chips of CFRP for Working Environment Improvement,” Journal of Advanced Materials Research, Vol.816-817, pp. 211-215, 2013.
-  M. Hagino, D. Haga, T. Inoue, W. Aoki, and F. Matsumoto, “Worker's Environment Improvement of CFRP Material by Hollow Type Drill,” Proc. of The 5th Int. Conf. on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection Part-2, pp. 314-319, 2012.
-  M. Hagino, D. Haga, T. Inoue, W. Aoki, and F. Matsumoto, “Effectiveness of Chip Collection and Characteristics of Drilling CFRP Materials Using Hollow-Type Drill,” Proc. of the Tenth Int. Conf. on Progress of Machining Technology, pp. 93-96, 2012.
-  K. Sakuma, Y. Yokoo, and M. Seto, “Study on Drilling of Reinforced Plastics (GFRP and CFRP) Relation between Tool Material and Wear Behavior,” Journal of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering, Series C, Vol.49, No.446, pp. 1799-1807, 1983.
-  K. Sakuma, M. Seto, M, Taniguchi, and Y. Yokoo, “Tool Wear in Cutting Carbon-Fiber-Reinforced-Plastics The Effect of Physical Properties of Tool Materials,” Journal of Japanese Society of Mechanical engineering, Vol.30, No.13, pp. 656-666, 1985.
-  S. Tamura and T. Matsumura, “Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 59-66, 2015.
-  H. Hocheng and C. C. Tsao, “Comprehensive analysis of delamination in drilling of composite materials with various drill bits,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.140, pp. 335-339, 2003.
-  J. Fujiwara, R. Nagaura, and T. Tashiro, “Drilling of CFRP/Ti6Al4V Stack Board,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 426-432, 2013.
-  T. Kaneeda and M. Takahashi, “The Effects of Fiber Angle and Tool Rake Angle on Unidirectional CFRP Cutting Mechanism,” Bulletin of the Okayama University of Science, A, Natural Science, Vol.22, pp. 143-153, 1987.
-  T. Kaneeda and M. Takahashi, “CFRP Cutting Mechanism (1st Report) Surface Generation Mechanism at Very Low Cutting Speeds,” Journal of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 1456-1461, 1989.
-  T. Kaneeda and M. Takahashi, “CFRP Cutting Mechanism (2nd Report) Analysis of Depth of Reluctant Uncut and Deformed Part,” Journal of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.56, pp. 1058-1063, 1990.
-  T. Kaneeda, “CFRP Cutting Mechanism (3rd Report) Effects of Tool Edge Roundness and Relief Angle on Cutting Phenomena,” Journal of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.57, pp. 491-496, 1991.
-  S. Maegawa, Y. Morikawa, S. Hayakawa, F. Itoigawa, and T. Nakamura, “Effects of Fiber Orientation Direction on Tool-Wear Processes in Down-Milling of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Laminates,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 356-364, 2015.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of Carbon Fiber Orientation and Helix Angle on CFRP Cutting Characteristics by End-milling,” Int. Journal of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292-299, 2013.
-  K. Asahina and S. Suzuki, “Characteristics on Trimming of GFRP,” Journal of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.57, pp. 2187-219, 1991.
-  Ali, Faraz, Dirk, Biermann, and Klaus, Weinert, “Cutting edge rounding: An innovative tool wear criterion in drilling CFRP composite laminates,” Int. Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.49, pp. 1185-1196, 2009.
-  C. C. Tsao and Y. C. Chiu, “Evaluation of drilling parameters on thrust force in drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates Using Compound Core-special Drills,” Int. Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.51, pp. 740-744, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.