Fractals and Additive Manufacturing
A. M. M. Sharif Ullah*1,†, D. M. D’Addona*2, Khalifa H. Harib*3, and Than Lin*4
*1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kitami Institute of Technology
165 Koen-cho, Kitami, Hokkaido 090-8507, Japan
*2Department of Chemical, Material, Production, and Industrial Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
Piazzale Tecchio 80, 80125 Naples, Italy
*3Department of Mechanical Engineering, United Arab Emirates University
P.O. Box 15551-Al-Ain, UAE
*4School of Engineering and Technology, Asian Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
-  D. L. Bourell, D. W. Rosen, and M. C. Leu, “The Roadmap for Additive Manufacturing and Its Impact,” 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 6-9, 2014.
-  S. L. N. Ford, “Additive Manufacturing Technology: Potential Implications for U.S. Manufacturing Competitiveness,” J. of Int. Commerce and Economics, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 40-74, 2014.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, R. Omori, Y. Nagara, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Toward Error-free Manufacturing of Fractals,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.12, No.2013, pp. 43-48, 2013.
-  A. M. M. S. Ullah, Y. Sato, A. Kubo, and J. Tamaki, “Design for Manufacturing of IFS Fractals from the Perspective of Barnsley’s Fern-leaf,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 241-255, 2015.
-  B. Mandelbrot, “The Fractal Geometry of Nature,” W. H. Freeman, 1982.
-  Mandelbrot, “How long is the coast of Britain? Statistical self-similarity and fractional dimension,” Science, Vol.156, No.3775, pp. 636-638, 1967.
-  E. Stewart, “Towards numerically estimating Hausdorff dimensions,” The ANZIAM J., Vol.42, No.04, pp. 451-461, 2001.
-  G. A. Losa, “The living realm depicted by the fractal geometry,” Fractal Geometry and Nonlinear Analysis in Medicine and Biology, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 11-15, 2015.
-  J. E. Hutchinson, “Fractals and self-similarity,” Indiana University Mathematics J., Vol.30, No.5, pp. 713-747, 1981.
-  M. Barnsley, “Fractals Everywhere,” Academic Press, 1993.
-  M. F. Barnsley and S. Demko, “Iterated Function Systems and the Global Contraction of fractals” Proc. of The Royal Society of London, Series A: Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol.399, No.1817, pp. 243-275, 1985.
-  S. Demko, L. Hodges, and B. Naylor, “Construction of Fractal objects with Iterated Function Systems,” Computer Graphics (ACM), Vol.19, No.3, pp. 271-278, 1985.
-  ISO Standard: Standard specification for additive manufacturing file format (AMF) Version 1.1, ISO/ASTM 52915:2013, 2013.
-  J. Vass, “On the Exact Convex Hull of IFS Fractals,” arXiv: 1502.03788v1, submitted 2015, http://arxiv.org/pdf/1502.03788. pdf [accessed September 30, 2015]
-  T. Martyn, “The attractor-wrapping approach to approximating convex hulls of 2D affine IFS attractors,” Computers & Graphics, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 104-112, 2009.
-  A. Mishkinis, C. Gentil, S. Lanquetin, and D. Sokolov, “Approximate convex hull of affine iterated function system attractors,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, Vol.45, No.11, pp. 1444-1451, 2012.
-  T. Martyn, “Realistic rendering 3D IFS fractals in real-time with graphics accelerators,” Computers & Graphics, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 167-175, 2010.
-  T. A. Campbell and J. A. Slotwinski, “Metrology for Additive Manufacturing: Opportunities in a Rapidly Emerging Technology,” Advances in Engineering Research, Vol.7, V. M. Petrova (Ed.), New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2013.
-  S. Buczkowski, S. Kyriacos, F. Nekka, and L. Cartilier, “The modified box-counting method: Analysis of some characteristic parameters,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.31, No.4, pp. 411-418, 1998.
-  H. Narahara, S. Takeshita, H. Fukumaru, H. Koresawa, and H. Suzuki, “Permeability performance on porous structure of injection mold fabricated by metal laser sintering combined with high speed milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 576-583, 2012.
-  H. Koresawa, H. Fukumaru, M. Kojima, J. Iwanaga, H. Narahara, and H. Suzuki, “Design method for inner structure of injection mold fabricated by metal laser sintering,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 584-590, 2012.
-  J. Potgieter, O. Diegel, F. Noble, and M. Pike, “Additive manufacturing in the context of hybrid flexible manufacturing systems,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 627-632, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.