An Application for 3D Grain Generation Based on t-FFD
Chiaki Shimada*, Kazuya G. Kobayashi*,†, and Katsutoshi Ootsubo**
*Toyama Prefectural University
5180 Kurokawa, Imizu, Toyama 939-0398, Japan
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
This study aims to generate grain forms on 3D models by applying Free Form Deformation (t-FFD). As the fully automated placement of grain patterns on curved surfaces tends to generate distorted grain patterns, we propose a method of semi-automatically placing grain patterns, based on simple inputs from the user, as well as of controlling the heights of grain patterns in real sizes in reference to the model sizes. The proposed method has proved to successful in placing the desired grain forms.
-  Y. Ito, “SEISANBUNKARON,” (Argument of production culture), Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers (JUSE), pp. 215-220, 1997.
-  D. Uzuyama, K. Miura, and M. Kikuda, “Development of a Grain Milling System by Use of Digital Data,” 2009th The Japan Society for Precision Engineering Fall Meeting academic lecture Proc., pp. 889-890, 2009.
-  “Digital SHIBO DE KAKKOII JUSHI BUHIN” (Digital grain for nice Plastic parts), NIKKEI MONOTSUKURI, September, 2009.
-  D. Uzuyama, K. Miura, C. Kansei, and M. Kikuda, “Extension of Image Quilting into 3D and its Application to Grain Generation,” 2010th The Japan Society for Precision Engineering Spring Meeting academic lecture Proc., pp. 159-160, 2010.
-  F. C. Crow, “Summed-area tables for texture mapping,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.18 Issue 3, pp. 207-212, 1984.
-  G. Mueller, R. Sarlette, and R. Klein, “Procedural editing of bidirectional texture functions,” EGSR’07 Proc. of the 18th Eurographics Conf. on Rendering Techniques, pp. 219-230, 2007.
-  J. Hirche et al., “Hardware accelerated per-pixel displacement mapping,” Proc. of Graphics interface 2004, Canadian Human-Computer Communications Society, 2004.
-  S. Gumhold and T. Hüuttner, “Multiresolution rendering with displacement mapping,” Proc. of the ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS workshop on Graphics hardware, ACM, 1999.
-  M. Lundgren and E. Hrkalovic, “Review of Displacement Mapping Techniques and Optimization,” 2012.
-  R. Miyachi, S. Usuki, and K. T. Miura, “A Geometrical Grain Generation Method Using ABF++ and its evolution with a 3D printer,” 2014th The Japan Society for Precision Engineering Fall Meeting academic lecture Proc., pp. 527-528, 2014.
-  L. Wei and M. Levoy, “Texture synthesis over arbitrary manifold surfaces,” Proc. of the 28th annual Conf. on Computer graphics and interactive techniques, ACM, 2001.
-  K. Zhou et al., “Mesh quilting for geometric texture synthesis,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG), Vol.25, No.3, pp. 690-697, 2006.
-  T. Kanai, H. Suzuki, and F. Kimura, “Metamorphosis of arbitrary triangular meshes,” Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 62-75, 2000.
-  T. Kanai, H. Suzuki, J. Mitani, and F. Kimura, “Interactive mesh fusion based on local 3D metamorphosis,” Proc. of Graphics Interface’99, pp. 148-156, 1999.
-  K. G. Kobayashi and K. Ootsubo, “t-FFD: Free-Form Deformation by using Triangular Mesh,” SM ’03 Proc. of the eighth ACM symposium on Solid modeling and applications, pp. 226-234, 2003.
-  J. Dupuy et al., “Linear efficient antialiased displacement and reflectance mapping,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG), Vol.32, No.6, 211, 2013.
-  R. Szeliski, “Rapid octree construction from image sequences,” CVGIP: Image understanding, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 23-32, 1993.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.